Unlimited access >

Love for our Non-Horsey, Forced-Horsey Dads

My hubby is a wonderful non-horsey. My girls both appreciate how hard Dad works so they can have horses and show. He is always at every show up early and home late to support them.

My h has always been a wonderful photographer so for Christmas two years ago we got him a Nikon D200 with a great lens and flash and he happily takes pictures of everyone from our barn at horseshows. Each weekend after the shows he organizes the pictures and burns them on CDs to give to everyone who shows. He also uploads the good ones to Costco and prints them out as 8x10’s or 11x14’s to give to the people who show.

1 Like

I have to say how impressed I am with all the dads I notice at the shows. And the cameras! Wow! You girls are so lucky. What a great bunch of guys.:yes:

1 Like

My parents were divorced, but Dad, who doesn’t have a horsey bone in his body, did still regularly ask about the horses and even came out to lessons when he would be visiting for a weekend. He contributed money to buy Bam Bam the half-Arabian, half-lunatic gelding. The first day he ever saw me ride, Bam threw me 5 times in a row (Bam still holds the record for my involuntary dismounts), and Dad did not suggest that I never get on another horse ever again. He asks silly, ignorant questions and then forgets the answers, but he does regularly ask about the horses. He knows they are important to me. Even if he’s scratching his head privately over why, he does respect that.

I’ll never forget the day I called everyone with excited birth announcements for my first foal for my Trakehner breeding business that was just getting off the ground. Dad listened to me rhapsodize on this foal and his future potential for a few minutes, then said, “Do you think he’ll be good enough to run in the Kentucky Derby?” :lol::lol:

1 Like

I want to put in a plug for my dad too. He came to every show, helped out everybody a ton, including people he just met at a show and didn’t know who they were. He polished and wiped boots. Never took pictures but could hold a horse and tighten a girth with the best of them.

Horses were not his thing at all and I don’t think he really likes them but liked them because I did. He was there for everything and was very good at polishing things ringside.

So thanks Dad and thanks to all those other non horsey dads! You guys are awesome. :yes:

1 Like

Aww, this is such a great thread!!

My parents divorced when I was 2, and I lived with my Dad. He was the one who signed me up for lessons. He always drove me to the barn, and sat through freezing cold and blazing heat to watch my lessons. He sat through pouring rain and 12 hour days at shows. My horsey habit was always his priority, and he never ever said a word about all the money he spent on me. Although he started out as non-horsey as you can get, now he will hold horses while I run to the washroom or walk a course. He cleans my boots before I go into the ring, and brings me gatorade during my lessons in the summer. There aren’t adequate words that can express how thankful I am, and how much I love him. Let’s hear it for Dads!!

1 Like

This thread is making me all teary-eyed.

My dad was not a big one for horse shows, he stayed home with my brother, but he built barns, put up fence, shoveled sawdust, stripped stalls built jumps and did all the manual labor that comes with daughters who ride. I can’t thank him enough for all his help and for paying for a million lessons and multiple horses.

My husband is learning to be a pretty good horse dad too. He started out life in the Bronx, so he was not exactly a farm kind of guy, but he’s learned to take care of the horses and clean stalls like a pro. He goes to all of my daughters’ horse shows and helps out. He even led our youngest this year at Upperville, in the leadline, and they won the class.

http://www.teresaramsay.com/details.php?gid=1247&sgid=&pid=58932

http://www.teresaramsay.com/details.php?gid=1247&sgid=&pid=59039

My dad is pretty supportive of the horsey habit. He lives 500 miles away but he is always asking how the boy is doing. I told him that we won our two jumping classes a couple weeks ago. He is hoping that we go up to the Big E in a couple years to show. Mostly so he can come watch me and it is local to him.

he worked a lot growing up but he would come to the bigger shows. At one show my last junior year I rode my horse in a versatility class. That consisted of riding in saddle seat, hunter, and western. He came running in and helped me change tack. When we were done getting 6th out of 12, he put all the saddles on him, and walked the horse. He would have serious in depth conversations with the horse at shows.

Here here!!!

If it weren’t for my dad I would have none of what I have with horses. My mom wanted a horse as a kid, so when it was clear I had “the horse bug” which was pretty early on as my first word was “da-da” and my second one was “hossy” it was with her full blessing and encouragement. My dad however was not of any such mindset. But, he obliged with many model horses and horsey items until I was 8 when I got my first lessons. We had zippo $$ to do horse things, but they made it work for me to do a week long summer camp each year until I was 11.

But, that summer, I got very badly hurt when the instructor agreed to let me stay with her for an extra hour while my mom had to do something with my brother which meant she’d be late. The instructor put me up on her greenbroke 3yr warmblood and led me around. He got spooked, bolted off, ripping the rope out of her hand and bucked wildly. It took 3 of them and I came off landing head first into the bucket of the tractor at the end of the arena. Fractured my jaw, knocked me unconscious, ruptured my eardrums, required that my braces be surgically removed from my lips and gums and left me with a permanently numb right hip. The only memory I have of the incident is seeing my dad’s face when he walked in the room at the hospital.

At my desperate urging and my mom’s compromise that we look for a new riding school that did individual instruction and insisted I wore a helmet (yep, no helmet on in the above incident) he let me continue. Little did either of them know that a once a week trip for a pricey private lesson at a big name barn that would lead to my riding h/j on the A-circuit. They scrimped and penny pinched and made it so I could have an older, ugly, but proven jumper on which to learn and full training to keep us doing the right things. I still broke my left arm and suffered compression fractures in my back in two separate crashes. He still helped to pay the bills. In the mid-90’s when we had our last big recession, both my parents lost their jobs simultaneously. I was in college and my brother about to graduate. My dad went back to an old employer, 3hrs away and got a job there, living in a dump apt. during the week and driving home on weekends for 3yrs to put us through college. He let me take all my part time job money towards my horse.

I never thought I’d be a pro. It was never something I had any belief I could do. I got a degree, a teaching credential and went to work in the public schools. I bought a couple of horses for myself and trained them up. Pretty soon kids wanted help with their horses and I was teaching. He saw what I did and it was at his and my mom’s greatest encouragement, that I had the faith to follow what had only been a daydream. They bought a property on which to run a facility that I lease. He is a partner in an accounting firm and works long hard hours. Come Saturday morning though he fixes and will fix tomorrow the pipe that a horse broke today pawing at another horse across a fence. He’ll help me move the mats I got to fit into another of the paddocks we’ve been steadily upgrading as 2 more horses move into training next week. He’ll probably help out doing some of the stalls as I’ll be gone all day to a clinic with my horses even though I’ve told him not to as I’ll do them when I get back.

I’ll try to insist he go hit a bucket of balls on Sunday or fall asleep on the couch with the History or Speed channel on. But, he won’t spend enough time on that. He’ll be outside because when it all comes down to it, he’s developed a huge love of the horses too. Everyone at work says that is all he talks about. I took on a rescue horse a couple years ago, and he adopted him. My dad never did anything with the horses, but he latched on to this horse and grooms him, walks him, does all his turnout. He brags to his friends and collegues about his horse. He has pictures of the horses in his office.

Not in a million years when he had a daughter did he think when she’s 35 he’d be perched on a bright orange Kubota on a Sunday afternoon tending to a horse ranch he owns and she manages. LOL But, without him her… my dreams would not have come true… not in a million years.

Thanks Dad!

1 Like

My dad finds horseshows long, slow and boring. But, when I showed one of my first AQHA shows he drove an hour each way to watch one class and talk with my coach afterwards. He also expects a phone call about 30 minutes out from a class so he can drive by, watch, then leave.

I once asked him to hold my horse while I put on my hat for a showmanship class. Basically, I needed him to hold the lead so it didn’t drag in the dirt as the horse wasn’t going anywhere. Its rare to see a proud and scared look at the same time.

My dad’s biggest thing about horse shows is making sure my clothes are perfectly pressed and shiny boots. He was in the Navy so I learned to literally spit-shine my boots. If I’m too busy to get my boots polished he’ll take care of it. My shirts are always pressed and starched to give a perfect look and he’ll take my show stuff in to the dry cleaner when he takes in his suits. I will find extra lint-rollers in the truck and he’ll run emergency trips for me when we’re close by.

He also never cringes when something comes up with the boys. When my guy broke a leg, he never said a word. Same horse got Potomac last summer and was hospitalized. He was as worried as I was but never said a word about the two emergency visits and the hospital stay. He just pays for it all and supports it because its something my mom and I do together and we enjoy it. He said he’ll pay for my horses until I can afford them on my own so I don’t have to worry about their care. He may not understand it all but he tries for us so that’s what matters.

1 Like

My folks weren’t horsey, and we don’t know where my obsession got its roots, but it was always a fact of life in our house. One of my first presents from Santa was a spring horse. I would ride him every night after supper, and my dad would “call” the horse race-I could get the entire frame off the floor. We were undefeated, of course. Daddy also judged many stick horse show jumping contests, the jumps being brooms and mops on top of waste baskets.
He read Marguerite Henry’s “Album of Horses” out loud to me so many times I had pages memorized. I don’t know how he stood it. It’s still one of my favorite books. My dad encouraged my dreams of horses, and because he did, I can live those dreams now.

Opened this old thread because of Thanksgiving, thinking about the people and experiences that am thankful for, and my Dad came to mind.

When I was a kid I showed at our local riding club and at shows away. My non-horsey Dad came to every one of my riding club shows and sometimes filmed me with old 16mm? “movie camera”.

When, if at our local shows, the electronic timer malfunctioned, Dad left the stands and fixed it (he was an electronics engineer.)
If a loud speaker went out, he would be up the pole and get it working again. When he noticed that the gate crew had communication issues with the judges/announcer stand, he discussed the issue with them and provided them with walkie talkies at the next show.

Anything helpful that he could do, he did. But he wasn’t horsey.

At the end of the year awards he was presented with a special plaque recognizing his efforts on behalf of the riding club. Being an engineer, he was embarrassed, as well as pleased. He still has that plaque.

I’ve just been looking at another forum where one member shared what her non-horsey Dad had tried to do to help and it reminded me that my Dad had done the same thing. Once, when he was seeing me off to an away show (not our barn and not our horse that I was showing) “my” horse came out of his stall wearing a cotton sheet which was covered with shavings. I tied the horse and went for my kit.
There was a long handled straw broom in the barn isle and when I returned, there was Dad sweeping the shavings from the horse’s sheet with the long handled broom. Thankfully the fancy gelding I was showing was unflappable.

I am thankful for my Dad.

4 Likes

Love this thread!! Too many loving things to say about my dad, but here was my social media post from when my horses got to come home in 2018. Sums up appreciation for my dad and my husband (who is about to be a dad!)

When I was little, my dad and I would ride our bikes through Dover and Sherborn, stopping to stare at the houses with barns and grassy paddocks out back. We would joke about what I would call the place when it became mine, and what I would name all of my horses, all Arabians and Thoroughbreds and Mustangs, like any good eight year-old horse girl would have in her eight year-old dreams. We would talk about how many years it would take to get my horses were ready for the Grand Prix ring, and my dad would ask for the hundredth time if that kind of jumping is judged on style or speed – not because he didn’t know, but because he wanted to watch me talk about something I love.

My parents have always supported the horse thing. Sometimes that meant 4 am wake-ups on a Saturday morning, just to sit by the warm-up ring until 2:30 in the afternoon. When the time finally came for me to ride, my mom wouldn’t even watch because she always thought the jumps were “too big” and she had to look the other way and cover her ears until it was over. Other times, supporting the horse thing meant my dad taking off from his Boston law firm job to scrub water buckets in the dead of winter while I did stalls, or warmed up in the tack room sipping hot chocolate and thawing my fingers. Support meant making me work at the barn by age twelve to cut the cost that goes hand-in-hand with the fine sport of jumping mammals over sticks for fun. In hindsight, I doubt the $7.00 an hour I was earning really had much to do with the money at all.

Quick PSA - if this has been too sappy and emotional for you, buckle your seatbelt, because **it’s about to get real.

Years later, this whole other person showed up in my life, and for the past 10 years, has continued to show up for me every morning. My husband has worked incredibly hard to become a doctor, spending years in Detroit studying and listening to me cry through my first (and maybe second and third) year of teaching. Onto a few more years in Hartford for residency and holding it down through the loss of our Hollydog, and most recently, a year of busting his ass with long hours and the stress of being the only doctor on staff at 2am when some crazy shit rolls in. Between all that, he’s fixing the lawnmower and walking Sadie on 2 hours of sleep and cleaning the bathroom and STILL signing up for extra shifts “so we can get the horses home, babe.” It’s weird, the way love is – you work your whole life for a dream and then somehow part of your dream becomes about helping someone else reach theirs.

Which brings us to now, a few decades and some more years after those bike rides with my dad. Today, I watched Lilly get off a trailer and take a bewildered look at her new home in our backyard. She’s 25 now, and even though her eyes aren’t great these days, she recognized her old turnout buddy (and our newest member of the family!) Rizzo. Within minutes, she just wanted to eat grass and go about her senior business, completely oblivious to the lifetime in waiting for this day.

When I thought about sharing the news of the “horses’ homecoming,” I thought about two things: one, how only horse people will get how much it means to me, and two, how I can’t possibly talk about it without also talking about the non-horse people who don’t get it, but worked for it and wanted it despite that. They’re the real MVPs.

Oh, and to eight year-old me – we’re calling it Winterberry Farm.
home

8 Likes

I loved your post.
Both the Club recognizing your Dad’s efforts & your DH helping your Dream become Real.

I posted waaaay upthread about my Dad.
DH - total Cityguy - took up riding at 56yo & was Eventing (BNR) with me at 70. He did the same as your Dad for the BO/trainer where we both boarded, took lessons & showed at one time, but she never fully appreciated or thanked him.

I lost DH before I was able to get my farm & bring horses home.
Then lost his horse before the barn was finished.
I know he would have loved the place, IF I could have convinced him to move. Both his business & kids (1st marriage) were in the Big City I moved from.
Dad was able to visit when I first moved in, lost him in 2009.

3 Likes

I love that your dad learned to ride. It sounds like you both brought so much joy to each other, through horses and otherwise.

I am 100% sure your dad is with you in spirit for each and every horse thing you do :heart:

1 Like

My dad has been gone for 36 years but he was certainly always there for me when he realized that my horse craziness was for real. He and mom fenced the 5 acres of woods and hillside, then closed in the bottom of the tree fort for a barn(!!) for my first pony. Dad had zero experience with anything bigger than a dog-- thankfully, mom grew up on a working dairy that farmed with horses until the 50s. When it became apparent I needed a bigger barn, as I outgrew the pony very quickly, dad made it a project for the two of us to build a barn together. He bought the plans from Sears? Or something like that. And we set to construction. I am in awe all these years later, that my dad was quite adept at construction. He was a wood product chemist by trade, working in R and D at a major paper mill, traveling to Japan and Europe to consult with others in the trade-- something I didn’t learn about until after his death. Our summer project was fun for me, but I’m sure it was a real bear for him to fit it all in with his work schedule.

Sadly, he died the spring I turned 17. He never got to see me move from 4H western riding to hacking on the roads to dressage lessons on a big TB my mom bought me, taking up polo in college (yeah, that’s right, I’m a D1 college athlete, baby!), and then, as a first year teacher, buying a totally green TB and starting jumping. I’m a absolutely sure he’d have been there in the stands all along, quietly cheering me on, even if he hadn’t a clue what it all was about. He and my first pony, who lived to 35 right there in that same barn he built for me, used to share a cup of coffee and whatever snack he had. I miss him terribly at times.

Dads are amazing men.

5 Likes

I love this thread. I lost my dad a month ago to Alzheimer’s. I have so many happy memories of him and horses when I was growing up. He was not horsey, but he drove the truck and trailer, he did the shows, he paid the bills. I’m not able to write much more than that right now - just wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread.

6 Likes

@Calvincrowe, beautiful post. And I’m sure he would be cheering you on too.

1 Like

Not just Dad. His younger sister - my Aunt Rose - rode too.
Huntseat back in the early 1930s, on trails on Chicago’s Southside.

My first huntcoat was her black wool hand-me-down. That I hated (all the Kewl kids had Madras plaid) but wish I still had :sleepy:

1 Like

Yes, my dad too! My mum was always quite wary around horses, so as a teen it was my dad who would usually take me up to ride, would hang around to help and was the once who always drove us out to competitions and trails (he’d hike the trails while I rode!). He was also my photographer, I even managed to train him on the best frames! For a period in high school, once a fortnight he would do the 7 hour round trip (up to the barn, 2 hours up the highway, hour lesson, 2 hours home, cleanup etc) to my favourite instructor. He said it was a great excuse to get out of the office. He ended up buying a 5 acre property so we didn’t have to board anymore, and he loves it, says mowing is his relaxation time!

He’s still not horsey as such, but he knows enough that he can catch, groom, pick out feet, give wormers/meds and feeds them on the days I can’t get out there. The horses see him as the food man and sometimes I think he’s their favourite haha. He’s also very fond of them, especially the one I’ve had for 12.5 years. Very thankful for him!

2 Likes

Let’s not forget our own @clanter, horse dad writ large.

@clanter is not only his own kid’s horse dad, but also for so many other kids (and horses!) that were lucky to have been part of his kindness to others.

The humble and interesting stories he tells say it all. :star_struck:

2 Likes