Unlimited access >

Lumber prices - any idea when they will go down?

I need to do some fencing once it warms up. I have priced out 4 rail post and board as well as Equi-Safe, the HDPE fencing with the electric wire built in. The Equi-Safe is cheaper! So that’s my plan.

1 Like

We built our beds using the corrugated roofing material for the sides. Wood for corners and bracing, but it works great. We left ours unpainted, but I have seen people paint them too. I love them!!! And they were pretty cheap. These aren’t ours, but ours look very similar

2 Likes

This is pretty neat! I’m hoping to do SIP beds (I found some plastic pallets at work that would work for the reservoir area), but it could still work with the corrugation!

I only want SIP because the area the beds will go is a little hard to get water to.

1 Like

off topic but you can also do temp raised beds with straw bales – bonus, you can then just till it in afterwards. It’s not as attractive as wood but it’s a nice stopgap. Some people plant directly into the bales as well and skip the whole dirt aspect.

4 Likes

I’m in Canada and we’ve been experiencing the same issues. Prices rose and supply ran out in the summer. The prices on new builds have gone up substantially to make up for it.
Supply has improved since then, but prices for lumber are still high.
I suspect we may see another supply issue this spring as construction increases again.
We put off building a new deck last year, the only lumber we could find was warped, and we didn’t feel like buying a couple pieces here and there until we had enough. Fingers crossed things are better this year.

2 Likes

Maybe in your area. Not in mine, I assure you. I had to wait EIGHT WEEKS after ordering rough-cut lumber for my barn project because my local sawmills - yes, plural - were so far behind due to increased demand and labor/production disruptions.

3 Likes

I also know two custom builders on the hook for contracts that were written and signed before the lumber prices spiked. They’re barely breaking even on the projects, I feel really bad for them.

1 Like

My beds will be behind my shed, so I could give a crap less what they look like. I think vegetable gardens are hideous when they’re in full production (yeah yeah I’m sure someone thinks theirs is BEAUTIFUL but it’s not… it might be better than most, but it’s still an ugly garden compared to a mature perennial bed), so I want to hide it.

I do plan on sending any vining plants up my fence away from the raised beds because of how much “real estate” they take up, and I don’t want to spend my days trying to stop them from choking out their bed mates.

My parents’ business has a fencing division. Privacy fencing costs more than aluminum railing fences right now. They’ve run into some issues as well where they bid a job and then the prices jumped on materials. It really sucks.

I have long since made my peace with waiting to put siding and real stalls into the barn I’m building. I want board and batt to match my house. Not happening at these prices. We will be a legit mare motel complete with coral panel stalls until further notice.

But I’m going to have to choke on some fence posts.

1 Like

All I know is that the loggers are deforesting Bubba county at a dizzying pace. And the Guv’ner of Alabama wanted to give part of the PPP funds to persons that hold timber because “prices are so depressed.” I believe this like I believe other things she says. So all that wood is going somewhere.

Prices are going down, very fast. The bigger the chain yards the more high priced inventory they own and are still trying to move at high prices. Shop around. Often the smaller the store the more likely they have replaced their stock with cheaper lumber and timbers.

3 Likes

Yep, got a flip house going and am grateful for the dropping prices! Thanks for the update!

I was forced to do a deck repair this year, and about died at the cost. 2x6x10 green qty 1 and 2x6x8 green qty 1 was 50 bucks. I almost puked. I went through the whole skid to find the best ones on there at that price lol

The price of stick lumber is coming down but anything that contains glue- OSB, plywood, Laminated beams, etc.- is still rising in price.

We build custom homes in East Texas where the cost increases have not slowed down people from building at all. We get multiple calls a day for people wanting to build and I have a 5-page waiting list of people who we told that we were 4-6 months out from even speaking with about building a home. We are not the only builders who are insanely busy either.

2 Likes

Right with the above… lumber forecast given to my builder clients forecasts the price of OSB, plywood, to remain high well into 2022. The price of stick lumber is starting to come down.

2 Likes

It’s happening:

2 Likes

And it would seem they will continue to drop as sawmills have re-opened. Will be interesting to see.

This makes me happy. I was thinking of building some jump standards but the prices were so crazy I had decided to just not bother. Now I might be able to.

1 Like

After the tornado came through I now have a bunch of trees on the ground. The pines are pretty tall and straight. Why can’t I use them for something like jump/ cavaletti poles??? Seems like a waste to burn them and then go out and purchase $$$ Lumber. I do need my deck replaced on my house so this is good news!

3 Likes

Hmm. How big are those tree trunks. You’d need to get them milled and then there would be time waiting for them to dry. Unless you can do that yourself it’s not cost effective. Plus you probably need pressure treated.

Hey, I know this stuff because I’ve watched Homestead Rescue!

1 Like