Unlimited access >

Maintenance Free (LOL) Farm

that’s basically what i do. Right now i have both herds able to range out over about 100 or 125 acres. I’ve placed many roundbales around so they can eat them, play with them lay on them. And i have round bales also in sheds and barns. They have 24/7 access to pastures and the ONLY time i enclose them is when farrier is coming OR an ice or sleet storm is expected.

About how not to have mud in your corral… Have a grade leading away from the shelter and have even the lowest part be higher than surrounding grade. In other words, raise the floor of the corral. OR earthmove a wide swale all around the outside of it.

how big are yall’s water troughs that you can go several days or a week between filling them? I have two horses and a mini, and use a single trough. My trough is 100 gallons, and in the summer I have to refill it daily.

huh- I have three horses and a donkey and they will drink about 50 gallons a day, so I have a timer set to top it off once a day. Never (and I’m in hot Alabama) have they gone through 100 gallons (or even close), in a day. In milder weather, they drink maybe 25 gallons a day.

1 Like

Reading with interest and making notes lol.

Re: water hoses and troughs. Best thing I ever did was buy quick connects for my hoses. Snap hose on/off of the hydrant and a snap in the middle of a 150’ run (connecting 2 hoses) and when I’m finished I just unsnap and they’re on just enough of a slope to drain.

Last year I wrapped my 75 gallon trough with a water heater blanket and out some 2" poly blue-board underneath and on the top. Slid trough under a perimeter fenceline so they could only access an area at one end big enough to put their faces down to drink. I only had to use my tank heater once last year, for 2 days. And if I had more shelter for the tank so the wind didn’t blast it, I probably wouldn’t have had to use it then. Also, as an added bonus, tank heater didn’t run as hard.

A local friend keeps a metal trash can with a heat lamp that she coils her hoses into during freezing weather. She has the lamp on a timer that goes off just a little while before she goes out to feed. Hose is never frozen :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Is it in the sun? My husband thinks part of the water loss is evaporation (my trough gets very little shade), but it’s also quite humid here (Central TX) so I don’t think that’s it. And to be fair they aren’t normally drinking the entire 100 gallons in a day, but often 70+ - I definitely can’t go two days between fills in the hot part of the summer.

It’s in the sun until about 2pm, then shaded. I have a programmable timer that tops it off and runs it over just a bit to freshen the whole tank but not flood the ground. I love that thing!

Your friend is a genius!!

4 Likes

I have two 100 gallon tanks. Two geldings.
In the summer they get one in the dry lot and one in the pasture.

Turned out in the pasture overnight I only have to fill every three weeks or so.
The one in the dry lot is probably every week? They drink a lot more during the day (heat and dry hay versus grass).

In the winter they only have one and I fill it about every 4-5 days.

I do let it get pretty low before refilling because I scrub it out and would rather it be low than me wasting water and making mud.

Maybe one of your horses is playing in it. One of my geldings will do that occasionally and spills a bunch.

I’m very spoiled with my pasture water situation.

I have an Artesian well that was overflowing the well casing and creating water problems around the well house and barn when I bought the farm. To remedy the situation we added a fitting about 6" below the top of the well and attached a 3/4" water line to it as an overflow line.

We ran that line out to where I could place a water trough eventually. Later I had a culvert placed nearby that drains into a natural wet area. I set it up so the well overflow goes into a trough and then there is a overflow from the trough that drains into the culvert. Based on how fast the the trough fills when I clean it (~35 gallons fills in ~45 minutes) I estimate around 900 gallons per day goes through which also keeps it from freezing in the winter.

1 Like

That’s a pretty cool set up!

Makes me wonder why we don’t use more bubblers and recirculation to keep water from freezing. It seems like they could be constructed in a manner less likely to conduct stray voltage than any de-icers directly in the tank.

2 Likes

A big part of keeping it from freezing is the constant flow of ground water. Bubblers might help, but in my case the water flowing in is at least 45-50 degrees.

1 Like

Might I suggest using crushed concrete instead of crushed stone? Locally it is much cheaper because limestone is trucked in, not mined locally. Concrete can come in any size you want from coarse chunks to much smaller pieces. Not sure if they would grind it to dust size, or if that would work well in a wet setting. We are using it over geotextile felt fabric in gate openings, places we drive on a lot. So nice not wading thru mud!

I have put used stall mats over the crushed concrete at the main gates to the barn. Horses tend to congregate there, dirt was always a mess before the mats. I think there are about 12 or 15 mats under the gate on inside the paddock so footing is firm under feet, mine and theirs.

It started because the drainage tube was covered with pea stone along the front of paddock fence and gate. Horses gallop to fence and halt, spraying ME with flying stone!! That has to stop! Kind of painful as well as removing needed drain covering. We had some worn stall mats that needed replacing, so I dragged them out to cover the stone and put new mats in the stalls. I added another row of mats along the fence drainage and made a big pad of mats by the gate because one 6ft row was not enough to keep my boots on with mud there. Big matted area allows horse haltering and turning without getting into any mud.

In my experience, peastone does not EVER settle in firmly, dirt builds on top of it from dust. Horses track the stone away in their hooves. We wasted quite a bit on recommended peastone before we wised up. Clay dirt just “ate” it in many projects. Better to use rough edged stones or the crushed concrete over geotextile felt fabric to cover the drain pipe, because both stones pack and lock together for a firm, good draining surface. Also, buy “socked” tubing, which is a geotextile fabric over the slotted drain tubes to prevent clogging. Doubles your clog prevention. Tape the sock fabric to drain tube to hold in place during and after installing. Makes the drainage ability last longer, doing a better job for you. Especially true if you can’t afford the extra cost of stone or crushed concrete to fill around the pipe.

We handle horses daily to stall them. Not a time saver, but we feel daily handling makes for better obedience, better ease in looking at them daily for issues, reinforces training without needing extra time in lessons. We have no runout stalls and I HATE dutch doors for upkeep. Seen too many injuries with both features. No leaning on the bottom half or jumping out of stall by anxious or lonely horses, weanlings. No sagging so latches don’t work or horses letting themselves out. Full length stall doors slide over, stay latched, take up almost no aisle space, have never needed repair during daily use.

There are two gate systems, which allow access to various pastures from the barnyards by moving 1or 2 gates that are right beside each other. Send them into any of 3 pastures. Gates are ALWAYS locked into position, open or closed. No chance of gates swinging to pinch a horse.

Water tanks in the barn yards are then accessible to horses in any pasture. 100 gallon tanks need refill daily or every other day, with 3 to 5 horses using it. Horses SHOULD EACH be drinking at LEAST 10 gallons of water a day. Less water used can easily be a problem staring at you, colic ready to happen. I do have puddle-slurpers, so if it has been raining, standing water in pastures will get consumed instead of coming up to the tank.
We have insulated bucket holders for stall buckets. Got them from Cashmans. Pricy but a big time saving with not needing to break ice out. Pretty much everyone drinks 5 gallons overnight because water is not frozen. So far, we have not even used the insulated covers, buckets might get a bit of frost in the bottom by morning if it goes below -10F overnight. No electric costs or worry about a barn fire with heated buckets.

While this is supposed to have no limits on budget, you might consider getting a tarp barn if you need storage area. Cheaper than pole barns, go up fast. We have a lot of those around, filled with hay, big and small bales. Livestock barns with appropriate wooden or fenced walls to keep animals from rubbing the structure. Machinery parked inside, some as riding arenas! They come in all sizes and heights. We just put one up, for putting machinery in. Things went smoothly with friends and family helping put it together over 3 days. Site was prepped ahead with a kneewall to anchor the hoops and LOTS of fill dirt to raise the angled slope up to level. Hoops came in 4 pieces, got assembled before the crew arrived to save time. We bought it from Farm-Tek, tarp is warrantied for 25 years! We knew other folks who got hoop buildings from them, they sent people to fix or repair tarp problems 18-20 years after purchase. It stood up well to the wind we had 10 days ago, without the end walls on yet. Shed the snow well.

I had no luck with a bubbler, 300 gallons an hour, in the fishpond. The ice just slowly crept close, then formed a frozen dome above the bubbler. Had to put a regularl floating tank heater in to get rid of the ice. Fish can take the cold but have to have new air to get oxygen or they die, even goldfish. You do not feed them in winter, they don’t digest in such cold water. Food will rot thru their stomach and body walls to kill them. But being cold with open water above is fine all winter. But it does get quite cold here some years. Any buried water piping is 6ft deep, 8ft if you will be driving over it. Weight of vehicles pushes frost deeper than 6ft.

2 Likes

We solved a really large, nasty poor drainage area around the barn where two very large roofs shed rain. Terrible mud, and frozen deep hoofprints all winter that made humans and horses all look crippled as we tried to walk over it.

We trenched in a french drain with 4" perforated pipe that was a 100% immediate and durable solution. It was a big project, for sure – 60ft of trenching, careful leveling to make sure it all (gently) angled down, filled the trench with rock, perforated pipe, then more rock, and put a 4ft deep rock-filled sump at the low end to collect and slowly disperse the water from this system. We did it ourselves and it was probably 4-5 full days of (exhausting!) labor. A pro crew could probably have it done in a day. Anyway, several years in, still have zero mud.

I also put a load of sand in the barnyard which makes for a more pliable surface in our frigid midwest winter. As long as I get a day or two in the 30s, I can harrow it smooth and fill in frozen hoof prints.

In that picture, it looks like you’re fighting the grade, with water draining in from right side of the frame. Really need to grade the area so it’s sloping away from the building more, and I’d put in a french drain to carry the water away quickly.

The trench structure: 3ft deep trench lined with geotextile cloth that’s cut wide enough to line both sides of the trench. Fill base with about 6" of rock then lay in a 4" perforated pipe with the holes facing upward* . Take your geotextile liner from the sides of the trench and fold it over the PVC pipe. (we kept calling this a “PVC burrito” which was hysterical to only us, probably due to physical exhaustion). Anyway making this PVC burrito will keep rock and dirt from filling the perforations. Then fill the rest of the trench, over your PVC burrito, with 2ft+ of rock.until it’s just slightly below grade.

*You put the perforations facing upward because you want the rock to do most of the work, not the pipe. Normal volumes of rain runoff will filter down through the rock and make its way down the trench without needing the pipe. But if/when the runoff is high enough volume that water level within your rock trench rises 10" and overtops the PVC pipe, then that water will fall down through the perforations on the top of the pipe, to hustle the excess water down and out of the system. So in that way, the pipe is like an emergency relief valve, rather than the main drainage method.

1 Like

This has not been my experience in over 15yrs of having “goldtrout” (feeder sized fish grew to nearly a foot long) in a stock tank year-round. Newest tank is 169 gal & has 6 fish, ranging from 4-6" - tails not included. Purchased as 25¢ feeders last Summer.
The 3 footlongs - oldest over 12yrs - died from something that leached from this new tank when I switched to it (from the 65gal that barely contained them). All 3 bellyup in a week :sleepy:
I feed a teeny quantity of flaked food in Winter. What they don’t eat (a rare occurrence) floats on top, eventually dissolving.

What kind of timer are you using? I’ve wanted to get one so that I could avoid people forgetting to turn off the hydrant, but I wasn’t sure how well they worked.

I use this one for the barn so it’s really one I touch daily. Won’t tolerate high water pressure so be mindful if you have super high water pressure.

This is the programmable one (CORRECTED LINK - The Orbit is correct. I’ve used it for 2+ years without a hiccup and it’s on a well pump that has HIGH pressure when the pump kicks on)

1 Like

Thank you! I just want my barn worker (who is AWESOME in many ways, but totally forgetful) to stop flooding my pasture. :smiley: I just wasn’t sure if there was one that was reliable enough for barn use.

Sorry about losing your fish after that long a time! I lost several grown out goldfish by feeding when it was cold. Floaters had holes in their sides, which is when I learned to NOT feed them. I quit when water got about 55F in the Fall. Maybe the difference is your fish in stock tank with a heater running more often than mine in a fishpond where heater only ran if ice was covering the water. I can see where that might make a difference to fish.

Fishpond is now a frogpond. LOTS of frogs! Need to get it cleaned up to put fish in again, turn on the fountain sprayer… They are very relaxing to watch and feed in the summer.

1 Like

This might sound silly, but I put a traffic cone in front of the barn so I see it as I leave to remind me water is on. I do the same with the outside electric fencer when it is unplugged. There is only one way to get to the house or driveway when leaving the barn, so bright orange cone is in your way. Have to say it works well for me.

I use a cooking timer that rings, telling me hose has run long enough for garden watering, just topping off a tank for short sessions. That could work in the barn too. I try to do other things while watering, get distracted so water overflows or turns into a swamp.

Not sure barn help would be as attentive to putting cone out, my husband is not. But he does check when he sees the cones out, that water is off or electric should be plugged in now. Cones can be found at Home Depot, bigger ones are more noticeable…

3 Likes

It’s a great idea and I might suggest it to her. I generally use the timer on my phone, but she’s not technologically inclined. I’ve tried the wristband idea and that was a no go. Some of it is that she’s often rushing for no discernible reason (she gets paid by the hour) and that’s when bad things happen. Sadly, we have public water, and I’ve paid more than $100 a few times for those mistakes.

1 Like