Unlimited access >

Mare isn’t laying down at night

I switched where her hay was to the opposite wall, but I think the biggest thing was that she recently had her neighbor change from a 17h gelding to a 10h mare.

4 Likes

An update (I was going through my old posts to see how unhinged you all think I am LOL)

She is now a dedicated flat out stall sleeper. During our stalling season of December to beginning of March I would usually find her completely covered in shavings from her sleep the night before. If I went to let everyone out too early she would still be sleeping and try to refuse to get up. So I guess it was just that she needed time.

4 Likes

I feel guilty for disturbing their slumber if I arrive at the barn and they’re laying down fast asleep. I’ve even left and came back later so they can continue their nap.

Glad your mare is snoozing comfortably.

2 Likes

My 22 year old gelding that I have owned for 17 years NEVER lies down at night. I have stopped worrying about it.

Glad I’m not the only one haha! I will try to sneak out as quietly as possible, and always feel guilty if they get up from their naps!

1 Like

I came home one late spring day and found my elderly gelding laying flat out asleep in the sun on his bed of shavings. I thought he was dead since he was quite old so I go out there and try to wake him up. He opens one eye and gives me the dirtiest look. I said, oh sorry dude, go back to sleep. He closed his eye and went back to snoring. I felt so guilty.

4 Likes

Ugh I hate their ‘carcass time’.
I’m always like ‘is that one dead? Is it asleep? Do I need to call the vet?’
Luckily the one who tends to do it snores pretty loudly so it’s obvious he’s still alive :joy:

2 Likes

There is a farm I drive by several times/week. Pastures have one side by the road. Owner put up a big sign “THESE horses are NOT DEAD. They like to sleep in the sand”. Apparently people driving by actually called animal control on several occasions about dead horses in the pasture… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hahahaha our last property was in subdivision with larger lots, we often had neighbors ring the doorbell concerned about dead or sick horses sleeping in their paddocks. One woman came over on a particularly cold winter day and thought my Sun-bathing gelding was frozen to death :rofl: