MDC stirrups and peripheral neuropathy

[QUOTE=whicker;4247107]
The ontite website addresses that problem of letting go in a fall. It is designed to let go. The magnet is in the stirrup, not the boot. The list of riders using it for eventing and jumping is quite impressive. I will see if I can ask the owner to talk to us about it.[/QUOTE]

It actually has a magnet in the boot and the stirrup, but the connection is weak enough, that if you were to fall it will disengage. I think if the FEI approved it for jumping, their shouldn’t be a problem using it for dressage. I’m still writing my dispensation, I will let you know what they say when I send it in.

I spoke to the owners of ontyte and they are going to post to the thread in about an hour or so, when they get to a hotel.

Ellie and Werther,

Thank you in advance for the offer of sharing the word. I hope this works.

Ontyte is definitely the way to go!

I am an amateur rider who is extending my riding enjoyment directly because of Ontyte. I have been riding with knee and feet problems for several years and was starting to think I should look for another sport. I started in Ontyte and the extra nerves and pain went away because I did not feel I had to grip so hard to keep my stirrups - Riding became fun again.

My dressage trainer uses them and has recommended them to several of her students. They allow the rider to keep the soft foot without the danger of blowing a stirrup and loosing their balance at the expense of their horses mouth.

I have been using the stirrups for several years now so if you have any questions let me know.

OnTyte Magnetic Stirrups

Hey! “Wicker” gave me a call this morning to talk about OnTyte Magnetic Stirrups. OnTyte was originally developed for an aging amateur jumper rider who had trouble keeping her stirrups due to foot problems.

As some one has posted OnTyte is being used widely in the jumping community and as posted previously we have riders such as Laura Kraut, Mclain Ward and Phillip Dutton using our stirrups.

We have found OnTyte offers much more then stirrup loss prevention, it allows a rider increased contact along with better stability and balance. We believe OnTyte would be perfect for the para equestrian community!

I have had RA for almost 10 years and due to my body changes OnTyte has allowed me to continue riding even with the strength loss and less body control. I think it would be something that could really help those of you with little to no feeling in you feet and legs.

We are FEI accepted for jumping and 3 Day.

Please go www.OnTyte.com for product information or to www.youtube.com/watch?v=21FJFAueUXY for demonstration video of getting on and off.

Please e-mail me with any questions, Ashley@ontyte.com

Thorowgood also makes a wide footbed stirrup out of a lightweight composite (I really prefer the light stirrups!).

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CRWTSI

[QUOTE=Ashley OnTyte;4247293]
Hey! “Wicker” gave me a call this morning to talk about OnTyte Magnetic Stirrups. OnTyte was originally developed for an aging amateur jumper rider who had trouble keeping her stirrups due to foot problems.

As some one has posted OnTyte is being used widely in the jumping community and as posted previously we have riders such as Laura Kraut, Mclain Ward and Phillip Dutton using our stirrups.

We have found OnTyte offers much more then stirrup loss prevention, it allows a rider increased contact along with better stability and balance. We believe OnTyte would be perfect for the para equestrian community!

I have had RA for almost 10 years and due to my body changes OnTyte has allowed me to continue riding even with the strength loss and less body control. I think it would be something that could really help those of you with little to no feeling in you feet and legs.

We are FEI accepted for jumping and 3 Day.

Please go www.OnTyte.com for product information or to www.youtube.com/watch?v=21FJFAueUXY for demonstration video of getting on and off.

Please e-mail me with any questions, Ashley@ontyte.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting, I am getting a much needed new pair of boots from Anne Hubbard and on tyte stirrups, at the hunter/jumper horse show in Lexington, KY in August. I can’t wait!

[QUOTE=Ambrey;4247392]
Thorowgood also makes a wide footbed stirrup out of a lightweight composite (I really prefer the light stirrups!).

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CRWTSI[/QUOTE]

These stirrups look really interesting. On-Tyte seem like they might be a good option. I considered the MDC as I thought they might be easier to get my foot back in. I thought having them in the 90 degree position might make things easier as the stirrup wouldn’t be flat against the horse’s side if I lost it. I don’t have the ability to turn my toe toward the horse and pick up the stirrup. Fortunately, my toes won’t/can’t point downward (or upward for that matter :wink: ), so I don’t have the worry of my foot getting stuck.

Uggghhhh…the trials and tribulations of having neurological problems! I guess I’ll just keep my sense of humor and keep trucking :slight_smile:
Thanks for all the advice!

I guess I still can’t figure out why the OnTytes would need a dispensation? While certainly a different method, the mountain horse boot/stirrup combo has been around a bit, and you wouldn’t need any special dispensation for that?

checking out the ontyte stirrup

I had a phone call with Ashley of ontyte after she posted here. Journeyman saddle repair in Middleburg has the set-up to trial the stirrups and the re-soles. They have a rubber slip-on bootie like the footie with the sample bars attached. There is going to be a lower priced way to use the stirrups that uses the bootie so you can slip it over whatever you are using for a boot. It won’t look pretty for show, but would be quick for everyday use.

My P.T. is in Middleburg, so I plan to go over afterwards and check it out. I’ll let you all know what I find.

I sure hope it works!:cool:

Pintopiaffe,
I think there won’t be a need for the dispensation for the ontite. Especially since it has been blessed for normal rider use in the Olympics.:eek: (:lol::lol: Cackle! what an oxymoron that is!)

I’m a Grade IV Para Equestrian rider related to an incomplete spinal cord injury. I don’t have much feeling in my left leg from the mid-thigh down. If I lose my left stirrup from the saddle, it is very unlikely I can get it back without assistance from someone on the ground. I use a #107 rubber band on my left foot. I also ride in the MDC stirrups. So far, it’s a very effective combination, but I think the rubber band makes a bigger difference than the MDC stirrups. I have a very BOINGY FEI mare and sometimes I wish I could band both feet to the stirrups! LOL

I also ride my 3 year old, green broke filly and I haven’t yet had the guts to band my foot in the stirrup with her, although she is an angel, and seems to know she she should take good care of me.

[QUOTE=pintopiaffe;4248007]
I guess I still can’t figure out why the OnTytes would need a dispensation? While certainly a different method, the mountain horse boot/stirrup combo has been around a bit, and you wouldn’t need any special dispensation for that?[/QUOTE]

When I was classified for FEI Para in May, I talked to one of my classifiers about it who sits on the dispensation committee for USEF said that I should write one up for them. It makes it easier for TDs checking appropriate equipment.

Thanks for posting this thread, which I am following with interest.

Ontyte stirrups are a success for me

Dizzywriter,

I did a review of the ontyte stirrup. Check my posts for it, as I can’t remember right now which thread I used.

It was a smashing success for me! I bought a pair and had my boots resoled with the metal plates by ontyte’s cobbler. I highly recommend them and the Journeyman saddlers in Middleburg.

I can do so much without fear of falling, now. If my green mare spooks, I stay with the horse, without effort. I can stay out of her mouth, since I am not losing the stirrup when my back is zapped. My back less frequently gets zapped because I don’t lose my balance as much or as often.

It is a learning curve for the first day or two, but one’s body propreciption quickly changes and relaxes the panic tension. The stirrups are well worth the effort to try.

Unfortunately, during my trip to VA, I did not get to try out Whicker’s On-Tyte stirrups. Kitty Garrity of L’Apogee saddles loaned me a really cool pair of Royal Riders offset stirrups with cheese grater “pads” and I liked them a lot. I also rode in SRG’s saddle with the “flexi” MDC stirrups. The flex doesn’t work well for me, as it makes me feel as though I am always reaching…hopefully that makes sense! Before I had my most recent accident, I was riding in Herm Sprenger’s with the offset eye and found them very comfy and supportive!

Hi Everyone!

I am so glad to hear that you are all talking about and using OnTyte Magnetic Stirrups! I am helping to spread the word about OnTyte via the internet, so if you like the product or even are interested in the idea of them, you can become a fan on Facebook and follow OnTyte on Twitter.

Many of the top international show jumping riders are now using them, so you can go to Facebook or Twitter for daily updates about OnTyte riders show results, and other information about OnTyte (where to purchase, etc.).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/OnTyte-Magnetic-Stirrup-System/44299604122?ref=ts

Twitter: http://twitter.com/OnTyteStirrups

Also, keep your eye out for the new blog on the website.

Thanks and good luck to you all :slight_smile: