Unlimited access >

Medina Spirit fails drug test

The entertainment continues. Zedan dropped from class-action horseplayers’ lawsuit

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/zedan-dropped-from-class-action-horseplayers-lawsuit/

As for the TJC amicus brief… TJC believes will

provide the Court with a unique perspective and information to assist in deciding the pending motion for preliminary injunction

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/jockey-club-wants-to-give-unique-perspective-in-baffert-vs-nyra-suit/

And as an aside question… I just get the link - how are you getting the fancy block to the article?

Me? That’s all Bloodhorse. I am woefully incompetent.

1 Like

I spoke with an attorney friend about the Jockey Club’s request to file an amicus brief in the NYRA case and he thinks that as long as the technical aspects of the brief are filed correctly that the amicus brief will be accepted, read, and considered by the judge.

Baffert’s attorney’s exception to allowing the brief apparently doesn’t put him in a good light and won’t prevent the judge from accepting it.

My friend also mentioned that amicus briefs are helpful in CYA in case of future litigation.

2 Likes

Thanks for the legal perspective and a bit of the process.

I would guess (hope) TJC would have the technical aspects down on the filing.

I would also agree that it doesn’t look particularly appealing to object to the filing (BB’s attorney) unless there is something they really don’t want out there.

More for the other thread but the more the BB thing keeps stinking, the more I think it will make MRH think twice about using BB because of the risk of annoying the SEC since the horses are publicly owned shares and, while horse ownership is a risk, using a questionable trainer might be on the bad side of risk for a share holder.

1 Like

Yes, from the quotes of the attorney in the press that I read to him, he thinks she knows what she’s doing.
I can’t see the J.C. hiring an incompetent attorney. They are well funded.

1 Like

Yes, this exactly. I don’t think MRH will want to jeopardize future offerings being approved by the SEC.

2 Likes

And in other news that no one not named Nostradamus could possibly have forseen -

Raise your hand if you predicted Charlatan’s imminent retirement back when it was announced he’d be “rested”.

Guessing that the owners a) don’t want any more losses and b) prefer to keep the horse out of the spotlight of all the Baffert goings-on.

4 Likes

Whoooaaa!

5 Likes
4 Likes

Interesting that the article about Charlatan didn’t mention this;

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/247554/arkansas-regulator-restores-wins-by-charlatan-gamine

1 Like

Country Grammer and now Life Is Good. I guess the owners aren’t betting on Baffert’s chances in court, and perhaps it’s a good excuse to get out now.

4 Likes

The press release from Hill and Dale Farm mentions Charlatan’s “dominant” win in the Arkansas Derby. As anything like good marketing would. I’m sure the forthcoming promotional material will not include any quotes from Baffert.

Gee, I bet it doesn’t mention the subsequent disqualification and then reinstatement.

2 Likes

So, another unsound BB horse enters the breeding shed. Just what the breed needs. Just out of curiosity, what 4 year-olds of note did he have? Anything last past 3? I really haven’t paid that close attention until recently.

5 Likes

Does BB have many that run past 3??? I haven’t looked but can’t recall many.

Some other horses moved from Baffert according to this; https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/life-is-good-to-pletcher-returns-to-worktab/

Most recently he had McKinzie, who raced through his five year old year and won a graded stakes every year. In 2020 he only won one, but it was a G3.

Game On Dude ran through age 7, as did Hoppertunity.

Those three are outside the norm for Baffert, though.

Can he even run a horse in New Jersey right now?

I believe right now NY and KY are the only states where BB cannot run a horse.

Sorry this is behind a paywall. The Washington Post obtained confidential records showing how Justify’s failed drug test after winning the Santa Anita Derby was swept under the rug by the California Racing commission.

Justify tested positive for scopolamine, an anti-nausea medication said to have potential performance-enhancing effects in horses, after winning the Santa Anita Derby in April 2018. Without that win, Justify would not have qualified to run in the Kentucky Derby, the first leg of the Triple Crown, a month later. But the scuttled test result remained secret until the New York Times reported it in 2019.

3 Likes