Medina Spirit fails drug test

I was re-reading a 2013 article about the results of the investigation into the 7 horses in training with B.B. that dropped dead. https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/report-on-baffert-deaths-no-wrongdoing-but-theres-something-wrong-here/

What really struck me was that even then, he took no responsibility (but he stopped giving Thyroxine to every horse in his stable and the deaths stopped.)

His reaction to the positive Betamethasone test in the Derby shows, that his refusal to take responsibility for the horses in his charge hasn’t changed a bit.

9 Likes

Agreed. About Jimmy Buffet, as well.

The rumors about Hickstead’s death… drug-related… planned to happen right after the round so it would look like a tragic accident instead of an insurance scam… Lamaze was responsible… the owners were responsible and Lamaze was clueless… it was all about the money (much more advantageous to have that stallion alive but logic goes out the window here)… it went on and on.

I remember some similar nonsense about Swale when he dropped dead during a bath after a workout - but that was pre-internet so the whispers were confined to the backside and soon faded away.

Sadly, in the greater scheme of equine things… our little farm, my BO and I… are nobodies. Cannot blame the trainer as he was not involved yet. So Beau’s sad and unexpected death went unremarked upon. I am always involved in any necropsies. Seeing the carnage left by that aortic rupture was eye-opening…

1 Like

I remember Swale. :frowning_face:

Horses go down standing in their pastures, walking to their stalls etc…

2 Likes

Anyone who saw the death of Hickstead and the obviously heartbroken Lamaze knew better than to think he was involved. People are so weird.

10 Likes

Very weird. On the footage, Lamaze manages to get clear of Hickstead as he goes down, gets the reins over his head and stands by his head, apparently in a horrified daze (I would be) and seemingly trying to encourage Hickstead to get up for a few seconds. He was called callous and only concerned about his “image” and show results. When the groom and officials ran in and pulled Hickstead’s saddle off, it was said they were far more concerned about saving the saddle than the horse. There was a lot of commentary about how this showed the evil and abuse inherent in all show jumping… that Hickstead was obviously beaten/drugged etc. etc.

It was saddening and maddening. Here is the video - should you wish to see it. The sombre commentary by the British announcer is on point…

2 Likes

I know what an arrhythmia is, and I know that humans die from them as well as horses, I just don’t know if any sign of one could be found on necropsy. I know that it is sometimes difficult to find any evidence in people.

You explained the possible causes very well, and that it’s not an easy finding on necropsy. Thanks. I’m hoping it’s a straightforward ruptured aneurysm. There will be less speculation by horse people in that case.

Do horses usually have an aortic aneurysm that goes, or do they rupture a full thickness vessel?

I can’t watch it again. The horse dying and the terrible aspect of Lamaze’s grief when he realized the horse was dead. Someone put their arm around him as they were putting the body of Hickstead in the trailer. You could see the grief in the slump of his shoulders. :cry:

ETA I’m glad that I didn’t know about all those nasty rumors.

12 Likes

While horses can just drop dead without any foul play, it’s still very suspicious from a trainer with a rep for drugging horses. And on the same horse that’s been under review for popping positive, no less.

Drugging horses has consequences. Even if the colt didn’t have anything actively in his system at the time, I’m sure all times he’s been “given a topical steroid for a skin condition” or “his groom was using and breathed in his general direction” add up over time. Putting more strain on the horse than his system can handle.

It’s unfortunately not really that surprising when a Baffert horse drops dead. And that says something.

8 Likes

I remember when Dynaformer was diagnosed with a small leak in the aorta. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time. But he was old by then. There’s no way a horse could maintain race fitness with something like that. Or so you’d think…just thinking out loud.

Maybe there’s a weak spot somewhere in the aorta, where the tissue is thinner or more brittle?

I remember Siphonic in the early 2000s dropping dead from a ruptured aorta right after a race; he was a three year old. I followed him because I loved his sire, Siphon.

3 Likes

I was at the track with Bruce Headley back in the early late 90s/early 2000s when he had a horse die immediately after a race. (I’ve long forgotten the horse’s name, gender, etc, though I want to say it was a filly. I do remember she finished mid to back of pack.)

She galloped back after the race and stopped right in front of the stands to be unsaddled, as they all do, and wobbled for a moment before collapsing. There was some scrambling as grooms and track personnel dumped buckets of water on her (I’ve seen that before; seems the common 1st treatment is to cool them down) while she had a couple brief, stiffening seizures, but it was very clear after a very short amount of time she was dead.

Bruce had a long standing reputation for using nothing but hay, oats, and water, but those sudden deaths happened in his barn over the decades, too, though rarely. He never lost a horse he started from a yearling to a breakdown, if I recall correctly. (Horses claimed from other barns, yes.)

Anyone here ahem “mature” enough to remember Mr. Nickerson in the 1990* BC Sprint? As they were approaching the term for home, he took a couple bizarre strides before his head and neck went up and then he came down and collapsed, likely dead before he hit the ground. A very unfortunate colt behind him, Shaker Knit, tripped over the fallen competitor and ended up fracturing his back in the fall. A very impressionable and naive 12yro me, recording this on Betamax (yyyyuuup), watched it over and over, trying to understand. But there was really no mystery to solve: Mr. Nickerson had just…died.

The Headley filly and Mr. Nickerson are what immediately came to mind after reading the headline. It is quite possible Medina Spirit fell into their unfortunate category, but with all this BS swirling around him, there will always be questions no answer will ever fully satisfy.

Really sucks for the horse and his innocent connections, whoever they may be.

*Edited to correct the year of the race. I can’t believe I mixed up the year–this is where I wave my convenient “I had brain surgery” flag

14 Likes

I do remember Mr. Nickerson; that was 1990. Go For Wand’s horrific breakdown was later that same day.

4 Likes

An aneurysm is a weak spot with the ballooning of the weak part of the vessel thinning until it finally ruptures. Similar to an old tire with a bulge if that makes sense.

4 Likes

i haven’t missed a Breeder’s Cup since the first one, and i remember that for years after that day, i watched racing between my fingers, and sometimes, still do today.

medina’s Spirit situation reminds me of an old movie The postman always rings twice. The man has a big trial and gets away with murder, then there is a death he is blamed for but didn’t cause and he gets the chair.

7 Likes

I’ve also heard of aortas tearing…that’s what I was thinking of.

3 Likes

That makes sense. In either case, a weak area giving way.

Wow. Am I the only one that needs cheering up now?

4 Likes

To put it into human perspective, it is what the actor John Ritter died from.

I have a thoracic aortic aneurysm that is being medically watched. It does happen in horses too.

I would be curious to know if certain bloodlines are known for sudden deaths due to aortic rupture. My condition is genetic. I am at least the second generation to have it.

4 Likes

Many aortic aneurysms are discovered in humans when imaging is done for another issue. Brain aneurysms and leaks are more likely to have symptoms.
Glad yours is known and being watched.

3 Likes

Part of the issue in humans is it is misdiagnosed as a heart attack until it is too late. My only sibling suffered a full dissection 9 years ago, and was thought to be having a heart attack. He was lucky to survive as by the time they had a correct diagnosis his survival rate was around 8%. The reason I was checked was because of him.

Since there is a known genetic component in humans, I wonder how it translates to horses. We all have heard the stories over the years of horses suddenly dropping dead, and it is usually assumed to be heart issues.

Any stats out there about sudden equine death, necropsy and cause of death?

2 Likes

Not as in depth as I had hoped. Interestingly, sudden cardiac death happens most often to event horses.

7 Likes