Medina Spirit fails drug test

Here is more detailed article

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/court-allows-ruis-to-pursue-justify-matter/

I wonder if the publicity surrounding Medina Spirit will influence any opinions in this matter.
It is clear that the CHRB didn’t follow their own rules, but the subtleties of law are such that it’s anyone’s guess if they will be held responsible for enforcing them.

I think Ruis has a good case, but I’ve been wrong before.

I remember that too, and seeing Ruffian’s breakdown. So many years ago, and so heartbreaking.

4 Likes

Ruffian… I was a kid and devoted to racing and Ruffian was It for me then. The match race was on my friend’s birthday (July 6) - and she wanted to go see Jaws with friends. Her parents were picking us all up… and I was standing watching the TV and the driveway so I would know when they arrived. I knew the finish of the race and the arrival of my ride would be at about the same time - no way to record it back then!

And then, it happened.

I stood there in horror, staring at the TV, oblivious to the fact that my friend had arrived and had even come in the front door to get me as I had not come out. I went along to the movie and festivities - but Ruffian was all I could think about. No one else in the group cared… it was just a horse race, right?

Not to me.

15 Likes
2 Likes

CHRB problems (again)

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/255743/california-equine-medical-director-faces-allegations

How long does it take to get the results of Media Spirit’s autopsy?

Gross examination probably already written up. Histology may take awhile.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Sounds like USADA wasn’t being given the scope and enforcement ability they wanted.

seems there is no real interest…

Well, it looks like New York is upping the ante on coming down on Bob.

5 Likes

I can’t remember whether the NYRA is bringing up the matter of Justify’s positive in the 2018 Santa Anita Derby, that the CHRB swept under the rug. Anyone?
Bolt d’Oro’s owners are taking that matter through the legal system.

This cannot be a surprise. There will be more legal wrangling yet.

of course
it is his bread and butter

He must be very good friends with his lawyers.

Which? Racing or law courts? He seems equally active in both.

2 Likes

point well taken

But the triple crown races were what I was referring to.

all of this hubris just cements it for me that I would not give him a stick horse to care for.

7 Likes

I’m not an attorney, but I do wonder if he sues, if the court can be impressed with the idea that he is being wrongfully prejudiced and financially impacted, so that the court puts a stay on CD being able to pull this off this year.

which is probably the goal, seeing that he has 2 contenders - again?