Medina Spirit fails drug test

More extensive view of his walk.

2 Likes

Hat tip to the person who was obviously walking backwards pretty fast in front of him to get some of that early footage with the head on view of the horse in motion.

One thing that has crossed my mind with the race horses who have the haynets hanging outside the door. I wonder if they end up developing their muscles a little bit one-sided if they are always turning their heads in the same direction to eat their hay.

1 Like

Not a year after!
This is BS, really. They don’t really want to ban him, they don’t really want to DQ the winner. Halfhearted efforts.

After care.
If they are lucky enough to make it through til then.
It is a different entity, it;s not the racing officials.
The problem I am having with the industry - and I love racing - is that it is about the money.
a track has record breakdowns, MIT tells them the track base is bad - track managements just changes the surface.
The amount of legal medications is mind boggling to me.
The rest of the world does not allow that junk on the track!
It is about the betting public, not the horses, and most of them couldn’t care less if it is horses or guinea pigs running!

Yes, it is good that some people do care about the welfare.
Most don’t. I mean, I bet they like their horses, but the money they bring more.

4 Likes

you need to read his excuses!
The grooms did it…the vet did it…people are out to sabotage him…
Most barns would fire the groom and the vet and tighten access to the horses, even if they were a 500 dollar craigslist find.
He makes too many excuses and the ‘problems’ persist.

4 Likes

What difference does it make when it was? He still lost the money and the title of Derby winner. That is truly as bad as punishment gets. And of course they didn’t want to DQ him but they did because it was the right thing to do. How is that even remotely halfhearted?

5 Likes

He sort of reminds me of an over large puppy, that isn’t really sure where his feet are.
On the other hand, I’ve seen some neurological horses with similar movement, like they can’t feel where their feet are.

Odd movement nevertheless.

1 Like

I think it’s the giant bell boots personally. Not that it matters now.

3 Likes

It made me think of a horse that has boots on for the first time and goes all rubber legged on you. But seeing that same odd stride in multiple videos seems like it’s not just having wraps on. Very odd.

3 Likes

Well you seem to be comparing him to other racing stables not trail horse rentals or horse auction houses. That was my point. His level of care under horse racing standards can be challenged.

I agree.Taking into account that he was a 3 year old, had just walked off a trailer and quite possibly an airplane beforehand and was booted/bandaged to the max, that movement wouldn’t worry me.

Neither would the other video where his gait is less wobbly. He just moves that way.

6 Likes

It’s difficult to believe that you “love racing” when It’s clear from your post that you don’t. Most owners do care about their horses welfare. Some don’t.

Most horses don’t make their owners a lot of money. It’s an expensive hobby and the very wealthy owners certainly don’t need the purse money.

There is definitely a need for a governing entity to make the rules the same in all jurisdictions. They are working on it. Hopefully they can pull it together sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

The exaggeration was the point :slight_smile: As said downstream, he has a laundry list of “oops” excuses which is what I was reacting to.

1 Like

(Bolding mine.) If out of competition “things” are of great concern to you regarding horse welfare, then you should be much more concerned about USEF’s drug rules, which are much more lax, with less documentation required, and under which far fewer horses are tested.

It is unfortunate that TB racing has so many issues, however the reason that we can see these issues is a direct result of the required record keeping and testing of TB racehorses.

If horses showing under the auspices of USEF, or for that matter AQHA racing, were held to the same scrutiny as are TB racehorses, I think many people, like you and @BrendaJane, would adjust their attitudes about how terrible they believe TB racing is.

Is change needed? Of course it is, on many fronts of equestrian sport, not just TB racing.

8 Likes

It took them a dang year to get around to it.
AFTER he had horses come up hot FOUR TIMES prior.

No. You were bringing it up.

Loving something does not mean to swallow everything that comes down the line.
There is no greater thrill than standing on the rail, watching them thunder by.
Does this mean I have to accept the doping crap along the way as well?
Or the disposable culture? So what if one breaks down, there is a sale around the corner…
Oh, hey, my trainer has the highest rate of horses breaking down and dropping dead, but he has my fullest support?!
Is that mandatory to swallow to be believed?

Again. What difference does it make how long it took? It’s not a race, it’s a legal proceeding. I have news for you, the appeals may not be settled for 2 years or more from now so you might as well relax and let them do their due diligence.

7 Likes

Do you actually know anyone who has that attitude? I seriously doubt it. If you do, you’ve fallen in with a very bad crowd and IMHO should quickly re-think your association with them.

6 Likes

LOL, what?