Medina Spirit fails drug test

It said he was insured in the necropsy.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is also hereditary to a point?
Some other countries do not give them breeding privileges.

There is a hereditary component.
I’m not saying I’d personally recommend breeding to a unilateral cryptorchid, but if you’re breeding for racing performance, it may well be a lesser consideration than some other disciplines, partly because there are so many intact males as a matter of course.

What are the views on Hyaluronic Acid injections? I guess in my ignorance I never thought “ill” of them as I thought they were to protect the joints and were a more efficient application of feeding Cosquin etc supplements. (And I always figured better than the old days of tap and inject with steriods which further compromised the joint?) But I see most jurisdictions only allow so many days before running, so I assume they can also mask issues? TIA

Once again, I can’t help but think, poor horse. He had the start and ending of a major race horse, but he missed out on a lot of years in between.

7 Likes

FWIW, the article linked above says he received hock injections with steroids (triamcinolone) as well as HA…which is definitely not a treatment confined to the “old days.” Sounds like you are asking about systemic HA?

1 Like

Note that this is not a complete list of HISA supporters. It is a list of people who filed an amicus brief to ask the judge to dismiss a lawsuit brought by those that want to maintain the status quo. As you can see, support for HISA is widespread in the industry.

CDI, Del Mar, NYRA, NTRA, Keeneland are supporters of HISA as well.

From the BloodHorse;

The group of supporting horsemen and horsewomen filed their amicus brief because they “actually own, breed, train, and ride racehorses that are ‘covered’ by the Act’s terms … thus have a concrete interest in the court’s resolution of this case.”

Along with Breeders’ Cup Ltd. and The Jockey Club, this group includes:

• Owner/breeders: John Ed Anthony, Craig and Holly Bandoroff, Conrad Bandoroff, Gary Barber, Antony Beck, Gary Biszantz, Bill Casner, C. Steven Duncker, William Farish Jr., Terry Finley, Bobby Flay, Arthur and Staci Hancock, Lynn Hancock, Seth Hancock, Fred Hertrich III, Ian Highet, Barry Irwin, Roy and Gretchen Jackson, Stuart Janney III, Bret Jones, Anthony Manganaro, J. Michael O’Farrell Jr., George Strawbridge Jr., Vincent Viola, and Charlotte Weber;

• Trainers: Mark Casse, Christophe Clement, Shug McGaughey, Graham Motion, Todd Pletcher, John Sadler, Dallas Stewart, George Weaver, and Nick Zito;

• Active and retired jockeys: Alex Birzer, Joe Bravo, Donna Brothers, Joel Campbell, Javier Castellano, Steve Cauthen, Julien Leparoux, Chris McCarron, Rodney Prescott, Mike Smith, Gary Stevens, Drayden Van Dyke, and John Velazquez;

• Veterinarian: Jeffery Berk

“A separate amicus brief filed offers to the court the insights of Robert Beck, Tracy Farmer, and John Phillips, who are all former member of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission; William Koester, former chairman of the Ohio State Racing Commission from 2008-11 and a commission member for more than 10 years; and, Joe Gorajec, former executive director of the Indiana Horse Racing Commission and former chair of the Association of Racing Commissioners International’s board of directors.”

1 Like

Someone here will probably know more about this than I, but I understood that one of the roadblocks to implementing HISA was that the organization responsible for testing and reporting human athlete’s drug tests couldn’t come to an agreement about how to test equine samples. Also they didn’t necessarily have tests set up for the potential equine drugs.

Note: I may well be wrong. If so, I’d love to be educated.

I’m glad he’s being buried at Old Friends. No matter his connections, he deserves to be remembered as a good horse

10 Likes

I feel exactly the same way about the Saudi Cup as does the author.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Well yet another thing I was wrong about. It is unprecedented that stays were not issued pending appeal. They aren’t playing around.

8 Likes

They did rather throw the book at him didn’t they? It seems as if they don’t want this to drag out any longer and are making the Baffert team hop to it. Can’t blame them for that.

1 Like

Another article;

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/khrc-denies-baffert-a-stay-of-suspension/

OK, so now that they have set Baffert down, his team has to get an appeal filed before 3.8.22 in order to actually stop the suspension from taking effect. I guess that this means that they either want to make it go away (doubtful), or at least push it back enough that he can continue to run horses through this season. I wonder what his owners will do when the smoke clears, and he cannot run horses for three months straight? That’s a lot of time to lose.

I don’t have a crystal ball, but I can’t imagine owning a horse with a legitimate shot at the major races this year and not at least putting a contingency plan in place. Or maybe even just moving the horses now with a contingency plan in place to send them back to him if he sorts out his legal issues. Considering how many stars have to align to have a horse like that in the first place, why would you take a chance on missing those races?

That’s based on the assumption that the owner would want to stick with him in the first place.

2 Likes

Owner: “Sorry, Bob. But this is a good horse, and he deserves his shot. CYA.”

3 Likes

I agree. I see nothing alarming there - walking off the transport after a long haul - plus the visual addition of the bells and wraps makes everything look wonkier. Anyone who thinks that every horse tracks straight and true 100% of the time… has not worked around many horses up close and personal. I once worked with a mare who paddled… to such an extent that her barn name was Flapper. The fact that she had high white stockings in front accentuated that movement. Despite all that, she did very well and retired sound. .

The idea that a poster in this thread could look at Medina Spirit (and maybe some other horses in the past) and diagnose some incredible lameness that only they could apparently see - and the track vets and jockey could not see or feel… is… well… odd. I’ll just leave it at that.

Which top horse in the past few years looked like an broken eggbeater coming down the stretch? He/she had a very strange way of going… but I cannot remember who it was… they sort of reminded me of Flapper.

4 Likes

I believe you missed the point. You complain about how terrible TB racing is, when it has the most rigorous testing of any horse sport. This entire Baffert debacle is a direct result of the rigorous testing of TB racehorses.

Thankfully, Kentucky officials threw the book at him. I think that the DQ of the horse and Baffert’s suspension are helpful as far as “public perception” is concerned, the horse dropping dead, not so much. We can only be glad that he had no banned substances in his system at the time of the necropsy.

2 Likes