Unlimited access >

Melanoma - Oncept - July 2023 - Update post 216

[QUOTE=oldernewbie;7419046]
Mr Ay-rab and I braved the -10 weather this morning and trucked up to OSU for his 2nd injection of Oncept.

I’m very very very happy to report that the internal masses along his jugular vein have all disappeared!!! except for the biggest one, which is now much smaller than it was 2 weeks ago. There were 4 or 5 masses originally - I really figured I would have more time to count but…better gone than counted I say!

The mass in his eye appears to be smaller. There is a patch of edema that seems to change with the size of the mass. The border of the edema is fading and it seems smaller overall. This was the most worrisome melanoma he had and any improvement is very good news.

I started seeing changes 3 days after his first injection. I am totally and completely astounded, amazed, and ecstatic with the results.

Just my personal opinion - if you are thinking about pursuing this option, do it sooner rather than later. It’s just a gut feeling of mine - no scientific basis for that, but I wish I had chased this option 2 years ago when I first heard of it. Well, better late than never, and the darn stuff is still working, so it’s all good!

Keep up the jingles and I’ll be back soon with more news.[/QUOTE]
That’s AWESOME, and FAST!! Super excited for you! We are looking to start my mare soon, and really really hope for a good result.
Did you take measurements and photos at the onset of treatment? I would love to follow along.

Thanks for the update and congratulations on the excellent news.

[QUOTE=CrowneDragon;7419390]
That’s AWESOME, and FAST!! Super excited for you! We are looking to start my mare soon, and really really hope for a good result.
Did you take measurements and photos at the onset of treatment? I would love to follow along.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to photograph on the masses along his jugular because they were internal. So I’m monitoring that by feel. He had his first injection on a Friday and I really didn’t expect much to happen, so didn’t think to feel his neck until the Wednesday after the injection. I about passed out when I ran my hand down his neck and there was almost nothing there. :eek: I was questioning my sanity!

As for his eye - I can’t really see the melanoma, only the edema. I have the ophtho’s drawings of the last 3 years’ exams. We neglected to take pictures the first time I was at OSU but we did take some today. I’ll post when I have some to compare.

I hope you have the same kind of good results - and let’s hope the changes are permanent!

[QUOTE=oldernewbie;7419669]

I hope you have the same kind of good results - and let’s hope the changes are permanent![/QUOTE]

Has anyone in their research with Oncept seen them come back if it does work?

[QUOTE=dude.does.dressage;7419895]
Has anyone in their research with Oncept seen them come back if it does work?[/QUOTE]

Nothing yet - I don’t think they have enough experience with it to really know.

I think, from talking to the folks in FL, that the fact that they added the 6 month booster means that you have to wake up the immune system every so often. Just a humble guess, but I would imagine you aren’t really curing the root problem, just tamping down the production of the tumors. Two injections a year aren’t cheap, but if it means I have a healthy horse and can dump the other meds, I’ll take it.

Good question though. I’ll ask the next time I’m at OSU.

1 Like

I will be aggressively looking into this with the kind help of oldernewbie’s research. My vet is interested and has all the info.

One question I have is if this drug is effective against the hard small, slow growing cluster skin melanomas, like under the tail. Or do the melanomas have to be active, larger, or softer melanomas?

[QUOTE=Plumcreek;7420617]
I will be aggressively looking into this with the kind help of oldernewbie’s research. My vet is interested and has all the info.

One question I have is if this drug is effective against the hard small, slow growing cluster skin melanomas, like under the tail. Or do the melanomas have to be active, larger, or softer melanomas?[/QUOTE]

The best person to ask would be Dr. Phillips as he probably has the biggest patient base. But! He is impossible to get ahold of - doesn’t return e-mails or calls. You can give it a try, but don’t be surprised if you don’t hear from him

I am so, so thrilled for you and your horse! I hope it continues along in a positive fashion :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=oldernewbie;7421562]
. But! He is impossible to get ahold of - doesn’t return e-mails or calls. You can give it a try, but don’t be surprised if you don’t hear from him[/QUOTE]

I exchanged emails with him several years ago about a horse with Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and he was helpful then. I bet he is inundated over the Oncept inquiries these days.

[QUOTE=oldernewbie;7421562]
The best person to ask would be Dr. Phillips as he probably has the biggest patient base. But! He is impossible to get ahold of - doesn’t return e-mails or calls. You can give it a try, but don’t be surprised if you don’t hear from him[/QUOTE]

I even had my local vet school (who was willing to do the vaccines etc.) try to get a hold of him, by phone and email, no luck.

[QUOTE=Plumcreek;7421906]
I exchanged emails with him several years ago about a horse with Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and he was helpful then. I bet he is inundated over the Oncept inquiries these days.[/QUOTE]

I think that’s exactly it. Anybody who has had to struggle with melanoma knows how you search all over for something that works and you get kind of desperate. He’s trying to do research, open a new vet school, and then deal with all the folks who are extra anxious to get the inside scoop.

His article goes a long way towards explaining the basics.

I do think Merial could be just a tad more forthcoming about how horseowners can get treatment. You sometimes get different stories from different reps about whether you can or can’t get the injections. We wasted a couple of months trying to get that all straightened out. I don’t know if they were reluctant to let people go off label until they had more results, but it’s clear they’ve gotten a little more open to it lately.

Part of the reason I started this thread was to save people from having to start from scratch if they had heard something and were interested in pursuing this option. It’s about time we had a melanoma support group!

Mr Ay-rab’s eye looked really really good today. Fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you mind sharing a ballpark amount for the vaccine? I have a coming 8yo gelding who started with some melanomas at age 5.

[QUOTE=InstigatorKate;7422286]
Do you mind sharing a ballpark amount for the vaccine? I have a coming 8yo gelding who started with some melanomas at age 5.[/QUOTE]

Check post #4 above - all the gory details are there! :slight_smile:

I am targeting a small animal referral vet clinic only about 15 miles from me which has a Cancer Specialty sub-clinic with two board certified oncologists. I am hoping they will be receptive to helping my vet with my horse. CSU is 2.5 hours away with a horse trailer.

Oldernewbie - one more question. The 2nd article mentioned a non-needle delivery method into the forearm. Is this how your horse was injected at OSU?

[QUOTE=Plumcreek;7422529]
I am targeting a small animal referral vet clinic only about 15 miles from me which has a Cancer Specialty sub-clinic with two board certified oncologists. I am hoping they will be receptive to helping my vet with my horse. CSU is 2.5 hours away with a horse trailer.

Oldernewbie - one more question. The 2nd article mentioned a non-needle delivery method into the forearm. Is this how your horse was injected at OSU?[/QUOTE]

Plumcreek – if you get the “go ahead” for this, will you please share the name of the small animal clinic, and I will share with my vet?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Plumcreek;7422529]

Oldernewbie - one more question. The 2nd article mentioned a non-needle delivery method into the forearm. Is this how your horse was injected at OSU?[/QUOTE]

They use a Vet Jet to do an intradermal injection. You can Google that to see what it is - ignore the articles about problems with cats! Phillips recommends shooting it into the pectoral muscles. The oncologist at OSU gives it in the neck. They shave the area to inject. When they inject, they set it off and then hold it in place for 10 seconds. It makes a pretty good bang, so be prepared. My horse startled the first time but did not move (good boy!). He got a treat afterwards, so the second time he got it - he jumped just a little and then looked for the treat. Stinker!

Both his injection sites are tiny non pigmented circles. I guess they have swelling at the site sometimes, but he had nothing. All you have to do is ice it if it swells. My horse got turned out when we got back from OSU and it was about 6 degrees, so that was probably better than an ice pack!

Good luck! Crossing my fingers for you!!!

ETA: Make sure when they shave they take it down to the skin.

[QUOTE=oldernewbie;7422599]
T Phillips recommends shooting it into the pectoral muscles. The oncologist at OSU gives it in the neck. [/QUOTE]
Interesting. In one of their earliest papers they found minimal response when given in the neck, and much better when given in the pecs, which is why they selected that site. Your horse obviously feels otherwise!

[QUOTE=InstigatorKate;7422286]
Do you mind sharing a ballpark amount for the vaccine? I have a coming 8yo gelding who started with some melanomas at age 5.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, for me it would run about $2000 for the initial 4 vaccines. There is a range in what is being charged.

Well, what do you think? Brownish pictures are from OSU 2/7/14. Blue-ish pictures are from today.

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/bicyclewoman/library/Oncept%20results

ETA: Viewing as a slide show gives you a better look.

ETA2: Remaining lumps on his jugular are getting smaller. You really have to feel to find them.

:slight_smile:

They are fantastic results in just over a week!