Unlimited access >

Metal in Lunge Cavessons question

DP Ecuyer Cavesson is not what you want? It is the most common in my training group. I have similar from Ogle custom saddlery. Meg Braunch set up.

1 Like

The above cavesson.

1 Like

I find cavessons absolutely indispensable but also very difficult to find correctly designed. I have enormous warmbloods who occasionally need to have a tear around on the lunge before riding in the winter. The only cavesson I’ve found that can handle this safely so far has been the JRD Arthur Kottas cavesson - the saddler (JRD) doesn’t advertise it on the website but the product is excellent and relatively affordable at $200. The comparable Dover product is literal garbage, and it’s quite dangerously designed because it puts the buckle so painfully close to the horse’s eye.

For the in hand work though the Kottas cavesson is a non starter, it’s very heavy and does not provide any feel. The DP Saddlery Ecuyer is perfect for in hand and also relatively inexpensive for the quality.

1 Like

I very nearly built one myself as well as the US products are absolutely terrible. Check out the JRD Arthur Kottas cavesson, it’s not advertised but it’s just a very correct, old German lunging cavesson designed for safety (and no hinge, I hate the hinge). The only caveat though is that it seems to be built for quite large horses, I tried to use it with my thoroughbred and it was too big but the warmbloods fit it quite well.

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I’ve found with it. It’s not bad for a light lunge but frustrating for in-hand work

I ended up getting the Ogle Saddlery cavesson, specifically the Meg’s Specs one. Will update once I’ve gotten to use it

1 Like

The cavesson from Ogle Saddlery arrived this afternoon!

Out of the 3 bridles and cavesson that I’ve bought in my life , this one has by far the best leather quality. The nose is padded really nicely and the buckles are the smooth roller ones. My horse has a slightly awkward-to-fit face for bridles/halters etc so I’m going to adjust it tomorrow but it is fairly adjustable overall.

Did a light lunge in it, definitely felt lighter too. I don’t mind the Waldhausen cavesson for basic lunging but I prefer the feel with the Ogle Saddlery cavesson.

2 Likes