Unlimited access >

Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

Lara posted a very sad update on Michael’s Go Fund Me page yesterday.
You can read it; however, it basically says that he is getting NO TREATMENTS at Greystone. I seriously do not understand how this is allowed to continue. Their “policy” is enough to drive someone insane, instead of treating and healing the patient. Can nothing be done?!?

27 Likes

That is so disappointing but why am I not surprised. It’s honestly criminal that he is still being held. Let the man go! He would get way better treatment in the real world.

20 Likes

There has to be some civil rights attorney or group that could get involved. He is simply being incarcerated and surely that’s a violation of his rights - not to mention how many other people there?

23 Likes

Maybe one of the Youtubers who have covered the case could make a video exposing things, they have the audience.

5 Likes

I just read the update and am sickened by it. I pray that MB and his loved ones can hang in there.

The legal process in this case is so abusive.

17 Likes

I believe this is the settlement that LO refers to in the update

6 Likes

This is beyond horrible. Michael was found NGRI and NG but is still being treated like a criminal. I find it hard to believe that Taylor did not know exactly what type of place Greystone is and that there would be NO treatment available when he sent Michael there. There has to be some sort of justice for this man soon. He deserves to be home with family.

28 Likes

I hope @ekat or others more knowledgeable can spell this out for the rest of us.

6 Likes

it is my opinion that Taylor knew exactly where he was sending Michael.

30 Likes

Is there a way to look up a Judges past rulings and sentences?

I agree. If I remember correctly, the Kanarek crew seemed gleeful, making several statements saying basically it was comparable to prison, and he would be there for a very long time. Is there nothing anyone can do? Surely his attorneys are aware, and hopefully addressing the problem.

22 Likes

The GFM update said he is receiving no individual therapy treatment. It did not say “no treatments”.

I shared this group on an earlier thread and wondered if this organization could help him. Sadly it seems that so many of these advocacy groups are overwhelmed with requests.

3 Likes

Here is the entire post to put it into context for clarity and correctness:

Hi everyone. Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, happy holidays, which ever you prefer.
I wish I had exciting news to share, but unfortunately that is not how this system works. Things drag on and on as we have seen the past 3.5 years!
I was able to go up last week and have a visit with Michael and a “treatment team” meeting.
The bottom line is that they don’t do ANY TREATMENT, not for Michael, not for any of the patients! Their idea of “treatment” is to medicate, but Michael doesn’t fall into that category as he gets no medication, not any! All of the State doctors that have seen him agree that he currently suffers from no medical condition mental or otherwise and does not require any medication of any sort.
Each patient has a daily “schedule” on which all of their “activities” for the day are listed. They have a morning group for the entire unit to make sure everyone is “ok” with things in the unit, a housekeeping meeting so to speak. Not that they do anything if there is a problem though.
Then some of the patients have other “groups” like “art” which is giving them pages out of children’s coloring books and some crayons. They have “computer time” which is about an hour on certain websites. Then there is “supervised social hour” which is no different than the same TV watching that they do every evening.
They have a few interactive groups that are run by the nursing staff but they are not “therapy groups” and there is absolutely no individual therapy of any sort. Michael was told at the Krol hearing that he needed individual therapy. It has been 9 weeks with him requesting exactly that therapy almost every single day, and he has gotten ZERO! That is not what they do in these hospitals even though they say they do.
Michael’s schedule does not have the majority of the groups on there as he does not need any of them. The few times they were on his schedule when he first arrived, he helped run the meetings as the staff was mostly just reading from a sheet of paper and were unfamiliar with the subject they were actually discussing.
When I questioned why Michael was still there and had not been moved through the levels, the answer to me was “we have our policies and procedures.” I told them that is not what the law says and I was promptly told that basically their policies trump the law!
This is why we have to keep fighting for what is right, not just for Michael but for all of the patients in the hospital. Whether they have a mental illness that will never allow them to be free or not, they all deserve treatment. Greystone was sued for this very reason before and there is a settlement agreement that they still ignore!
Please keep sharing the GFM link, write to Michael, and if you want to give Michael a present, please donate to the GFM to cover the legal bills so we can continue to fight this injustice!
Best,
Lara

33 Likes

Just curious can patients have private therapist come in as visitors?

10 Likes

Does MB have another appearance or hearing, whatever it is called in March with Judge T?

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing! Or zoom call or something. Just so he has someone to talk to and process things with.

4 Likes

This is sad to hear. :frowning:

5 Likes

Agreed. But people were criticized for submitting a complaint about his conduct.
What’s that saying, about what happens when good people are silent wrt evil?

14 Likes

Keep reading…

“They have a few interactive groups that are run by the nursing staff but they are not “therapy groups” and there is absolutely no individual therapy of any sort. Michael was told at the Krol hearing that he needed individual therapy. It has been 9 weeks with him requesting exactly that therapy almost every single day, and he has gotten ZERO! That is not what they do in these hospitals even though they say they do.”

If the edict was that he needs therapy, then it absolutely nonsense that he’s not getting therapy.

21 Likes