Unlimited access >

Micklem? Anyone? Anyone?

(One could then get the clips separately http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Rambo-Micklem-Plastic-Bridle-Clips-P1143.aspx?gclid=CN3hn8i-uroCFc1AMgodzA0AhQ )

Don’t need them. For us the point was about the noseband. :slight_smile:

And can’t show in them anyways!

Are the clips legal for USEA and USDF shows?

They are not legal, but for reschooling (protecting the bars) they offer a great choice.

My horse LOVE LOVE LOVEs his! It was a remarkable difference in the first ride. He was happily reaching for contact, softer in the bridle. Another difference was for the first time in 3 years I no longer needed a martingale. He was happily going around with his head down. My trainer at the time was shocked and amazed at the difference it made. I had a horse that would rush down lines and all of a sudden would could do a line very huntery (we’re Jumpers) and happily.

I had lucked out and found a black one for $50, so figured it was worth a try. My previous trainer had us in a tack nose band, which I never liked so I was always looking for something else that would work. This just did the trick.

When we go into the hunter ring with our regular bridle sans tack nose band now he isn’t as relaxed, but does okay. Its really only in this bridle can I get him to relax and be soft and supple.

I definitely recommend them and with the Dover program where you can test the bridle before you buy you cant lose!

I bought one and fortunately it fits all three of my horses and they all seem to really like it. They go quieter in it with much less fussiness about their nose and do not gnash their teeth in it, even the mare. I think mares are just sometimes more mouthy about bridles and she is very quiet in this. Not one of mine makes a beeline to rub their nose/face in it after riding like they did before when riding in a traditional nose band. I think they’re just plain more comfortable in it. No it’s not a miracle bridle but the ergonomics seem to work well. I ride a Saddlebred x Percheron gelding; a Saddlebred x Clyde/Hackney/TB gelding; and a Dutch Warmblood mare.

Update

I had posted I did not see a difference in how my gelding went in the Micklem because he accepts everything I throw at him.

Well I have a new mare that is lovely but very quirky and much more sensitive. In a traditional bridle she flicked her ears and shook her head every chance she got, so I dug out the Micklem bridle and tried it out. The head shaking stopped and she appears much more settled and comfortable.

The theory behind the Micklem bridle makes sense but I thought it was “faddish”. I’ve been proven wrong.

I tried it on my mare who was fussy and not pleased with any bit contact. She hated it. I tried it for several rides, tried different adjustments (within the range I was able to -I was on the smallest and largest holes on different parts of the bridle) and we didn’t have a single good ride in it. I didn’t try it on my gelding because I had no reason to.

She has since learned to go nicely in a regular snaffle, and now in a double. For her, the issue was solved by training.

[QUOTE=stb;7226998]
Also, interestingly, this horse usually yarns repeatedly after bridle removal - even with the Dr. Cook’s Bitless. I mean, you hardly get the thing off her head and she is giving huge, repeated yawns. With the Micklem, I take her bridle off and … nothing. Weird. I have no idea what that means, except that maybe regular bridles are uncomfortable for her in some way, and perhaps the Micklem is not. Interesting, though.[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, I have noticed the same exact thing with my gelding. I always used to ride him in a bridle with a plain caveson, not adjusted particularly tight or anything. He went in it pretty well overall, but as soon as I would take it off at the end of the ride, he would start yawning and acting as though I’d had his jaw wired shut the entire ride.

I started riding him in a Micklem, and not only does he go better in it while riding, the yawning drama just suddenly … stopped. I’m not sure why… Maybe something with how the Micklem is supposed to allow their jaw to be aligned more naturally while wearing it?

Any thoughts on whether this bridle is appropriate for a horse who leans heavily into the bit, very heavy on the forehand?