Unlimited access >

Moving to the UK (with my horse)

All is well then, enjoy the UK!

2 Likes

A little update for those who are interested:

HE’S HERE!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::uk:

Sig arrived Monday after his trip from Kentucky. He had to haul to New York, where unfortunately he had to sit and wait three extra days because the inbound flight got grounded and pushed the whole timeline back. He flew out from JFK to Liège (Belgium) on Saturday afternoon and landed about 2am on Sunday.

Because his flight was delayed, he missed the shared lorry out of Belgium. My options as of Sunday morning were: make him wait at the airport for another five days or more until they could fill another truck, or pay an absurd amount of money for a dedicated lorry. :rage:

I coughed up the cash. :exploding_head: With him having not flown before and alone in Liege, it seemed like the right thing to do. I feel like I was asking a lot of him already, and another five days of waiting would possibly put him at risk and would definitely drive me to lunacy. So if I wasn’t poor before, I am super poor now.

Also, I’m not even sure how he got here. I was told delivery to the yard here in the UK would be Monday night. Seemed reasonable. Except I got a call at noon on Monday, while I was in the office, saying that he had arrived to the yard 30 minutes ago and did I know? NO! Somehow he got on a truck straightaway, and eventually ended up in Newmarket, then the racehorse people dropped him off? No one knows. Which is hardly comforting. But whatever. He’s here and he’s fine.

Thus far he has settled very well and is handling the transition like a total professional. He has been a true gentleman around the yard and the staff all appreciate his excellent ground manners and quiet nature. He’s getting a little more turnout each day as we’re slowly working him back to his normal 24/7 grass routine. Since he was off grass for the better part of a week due to delays in the journey, I don’t want to take any chances.

I did hop on him for the first time in nearly two months on Wednesday, and he was an absolute gem as usual! :heart: He was looking so settled (and bored…) that I decided to give it a shot. When I returned carrying all his tack, he actually whinnied to me. :rofl::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The boy loves his work, and loves the attention even more. Right now we’re just walking around due to his feet needing done and him being off work for so long. I’ll build him back up slowly. But he’s happy to be back to it and feels good.

My first thought as soon as I swung up: WORTH IT! Even though his trip cost more than originally budgeted, I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I have my familiar, fun, sweet partner with me and I am so excited to make new memories here!

Get you a seven year old who hasn’t been ridden in two months who walks around on the buckle in a new place three days after getting off the jet without any prep beforehand. :heart::heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Photos on my Instagram:
www.instagram.com/sibelius_mb

29 Likes

All is well that ends well.

You sound so very happy, that is worth all the worry and trouble. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Very happy for you and will plan to follow along!

2 Likes

he’s a handsome boy an I am so glad you were able to pull this off!

2 Likes

Great update, now relax and enjoy

1 Like

that is also the site of a 1980 UFO sighting that has gone unexplained

Glade horse has made his journey safely, sounds like he is enjoying the time (along with OP, who I greatly thank for protecting me)

2 Likes

It was RAF Woodbridge. Google Rendlesham Forest

Figured I should bump this up with an update:

It’s been a weird few months. :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

Through it now though and still glad we made the trip together. Sig is shiny, fat, and sassy and knock on wood, things are going well for us at the moment. :heart:

21 Likes

What a sweet update. I certainly can see why you took him with you. And thank you for helping those poor families.

3 Likes

Sig looks like a character and I am glad he is in your life to brighten it up. Thank you for doing a job that few would take on. (((hugs)))

3 Likes