Unlimited access >

Muscle tremors in big stock horse

Sorry to hear about your mare. I would start with a 5 panel test. You just need to pull hairs and mail it. Came to about $125 CAD after the exchange rate when I did it in the fall. You could spend a lot more than that trying all manner of different supplements, might as well test and get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

2 Likes

Sure sounds like HYPP to me, as well. The test is $40 at UC Davis, get her tested.

1 Like

:hugs: The fact that she’s 17 and just now showing symptoms (that you’ve seen), and that you recently added a v/m, is a positive thing. It likely means she will be pretty easily managed with closer attention to diet :slight_smile: s: The fact that she’s 17 and just now showing symptoms (that you’ve seen), and that you recently added a v/m, is a positive thing. It likely means she will be pretty easily managed with closer attention to diet :

4 Likes

Sorry you’re having to deal with HYPP, but at least you now have a pretty good idea of what’s going on and some easy fixes to hopefully keep it from happening again. I bet the supplement tipped her over the edge with the potassium content. As JB says, she’ll probably be easy to manage and keep healthy. I’ve known a lot of N/H horses (never owned one though) that lived long, productive lives with very few issues as long as they were fed and managed appropriately.

2 Likes

I would not immediately assume HYPP. You really need to run a full panel. Pssm can look similar. It could be any muscle disease and without the panel to tell you which it is, you could treat for the wrong thing. And not all horses react to those genetic mutations with the same symptoms. 2 horses with the same mutation might have different symptoms.

1 Like

Oh, I’m going to get the panel done for sure and will update on that when I get results.

Meanwhile though it makes sense to make modest adjustments that benefit both HYPP and PSSM. Cutting out the supplement with potassium was easy.

2 Likes