Unlimited access >

My horse wont canter one direction!

Given that the horse had an “in depth pre-purchase exam barely a month ago and passed with flying colors,” and that the horse has been shipped recently, my first thought is an injury, possibly during travel.

A chiro is as good a place to start as any. My old guy was really off (sore, really pissy) after a long haul last year and a session with the chiro helped. But, if it doesn’t improve fairly soon, I think you need to break down and get the vet out.

1 Like

Left hind or left stifle.
does she pick up both back legs easily to pick hooves? Turn in tight circles both directions on the ground without looking funny? Ever feel like her left foot stepped in a hole when trotting? (Those are stifle things).

cnigh - we took in a horse found in a field - retired because of lameness. He could not canter to one side. A good chiropractor fixed him. He turned out to be the most wonderful horse we could have found for our daughter, although the reason we got him initally was to act as godfather to our foal when we weaned her from her mother (did the exchange thing).

Quick update:

• checked her saddle fit. My saddle checks out but I’ll look into it further
  • checked with the vet that did the ppe. All four legs were x rayed and her left(?) hock had a small ‘spot’ on it. most of what ive been told is vague and Im no expert, but I sent it to UGA and they cleared it said it shouldnt be an issue and wouldnt cause lameness
  • her hocks have been recently injected (like as in in-between me trying her and her coming here)
  • so from what ive found out about her shipping, she was pretty hard to load (which i was not told and am mildly peeved about) but the journey itself was pretty short (less than 2 hours) and the shipper said she traveled pretty well once in the trailer
  • i will look into finding a chiropractor in the area, i actually hadnt thought of that thanks!

Your opinion on something:
A friend of mine told me to give her bute before the next time I ride her to see if the problem goes away so I could narrow down if it was pain-related. Is that like, a good idea or a bad idea?

Question (not necessarily for the OP, but to those who have a much better understanding than I evidently do): Is it typical for a healthy 6 year old horse to have injections into a joint? Especially for a larger boned, slower maturing breed? Joint injections are just not something I have a good understanding of, didn’t grow up with (started riding in the 1970s) and I’d like to better informed.

And @gracelyn4 , yes, a bute trial is a good way to evaluate if pain is more likely the direct cause of whatever issue you are seeing. You’d need to get the bute from your vet (or your barn may have some on hand). Best to give with her breakfast/dinner, give it time to work, then ride. Like a human taking a tylenol for a headache, it can take 30 to 45 minutes for full effect. And since this is a new horse to you, you might want to ask the former owner/trainer to make sure the mare is fine with taking bute (99% of horses are - but always best to double check).

Good luck on your quest to narrow this down.

You tried her out, she had difficulty cantering one way, but did it.

You had an extensive PPE. No problems. Did that include ultrasounds of both hind legs?

You gave her two weeks off.

She had most likely been extensively prepped to take that lead.

Try a little patience, she is a 6 yo WB. Possible a little slow to develop… When she disunites on you, quietly bring her back and ask again, preferably coming into a corner or on a circle. Do transitions on a circle, just don’t overdo it and make her sore. Skip a day between work sessions for muscle recovery.

1 Like