Unlimited access >

My New Job! Update

I start tomorrow! I consider it going back to the beginning, since I worked for the larger humane society in Boise for many years as the foster coordinator during that first decade we lived here.

Anyway! I start at the humane society tomorrow. I will process adoptions, answer phones and use all my esoteric animal knowledge. I am hoping to start some type of formal behavioral and training assessment program there that we had at the other shelter, so we can make the best home match possible.

I am so excited to get started. I can’t believe that I am returning to the world of animal sheltering again!
Sheilah

17 Likes

@IdahoRider congratulations. I work as volunteer coordinator at a municipal shelter.

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Oh good for you, Sheilah. I’ve been lucky to volunteer as adoption helper and dog walker/trainer at 2 shelters/rescues over the years. It is indeed so satisfying.
I’m sure you’ll do great and will be so much more at peace.
We’re all happy for you!!!

1 Like

Thanks guys!
Sheilah

Well, today was my first day and I got sent home early. Many of you know that I have a spinal cord that makes some functions difficult. I was so excited this morning and I want to get there on time, I completely forgot to take care of an issue related to my spinal cord injury. And had the issue pop up in a publicly embarrassing way.

So I got sent home. I asked to be able to go home and take care of the problem and then return, but the manager said no. So I will try again on Monday and hope that I A) remember my toileting routine and B) everything goes clear sailing.
Sheilah

Well DARN, hoping Monday brings a fresh start and things progress well. You deserve some clear sailing.

1 Like

I’m sorry your first day was cut short! As Marla said, fresh week, fresh start. You’ve got this. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was texting with a friend last night and she said to pull my (clean) big panties up, adjust my crown and walk in there tomorrow and rock their world.

It made me laugh and then I felt better.
Sheilah

5 Likes

Congratulations! I hope you love it and that your 2nd day went awesome!

No new job. My “publicly embarrassing” accident was a bridge too far. So with a heavy heart I am again unemployed.

Back to the drawing board.
Sheilah

They let you go over something caused by a spinal cord injury??? WOW. I’m so sorry. Isn’t that something that should be protected by the ADA?

1 Like

Yes, although they did offer me another job that I could not do. So I think they covered their behinds in the ADA area. Basically, I was worried that I would be late and I did not self cath like I usually do in the morning. No big deal, I have skipped it before. I wear an incontinence pad, too, and that works well for me.

But I didn’t that morning. I was excited and nervous and spaced it. So my bladder was not totally empty because I didn’t self cath and I had no pad. Which I wasn’t aware of because I can’t feel anything “down there”.

And of course about two hours into my first shift, I was asked to move from one chair to another and when I stood up there was a wet mark on the chair seat. The manager lost her mind (she was a little on the controlling side) and looked at me and asked if I had “done that”. I shrugged and said I wasn’t sure? Then she looked at my pants and saw that I was wet and she sent me home. I didn’t know I had wet myself, since I can’t feel it. And having a full bladder was not a good thing.

I was next scheduled to work on Monday. I came in and checked in with the manager and she told me to go to HR to sign some papers. When I sat down with the HR woman she told me that I was being moved to the position of door greeter. With COVID the front doors are kept locked. You have to have an appointment to come in and claim a stray, adopt or surrender. So my job was to stand just inside the lobby at the locked door and when people approached I would unlock the door and ask them if they had an appointment and get their name. Then I would relock the door and go to the front desk and ask if so and so had an appointment at such and such time. If they did, I went and let them in (making sure they had a mask on). If they didn’t, I would go back out and tell them to go on-line and make an appointment.

If someone came with a donation, they were not allowed in and I would have to go out and collect their donation and bring it inside.

So I had two issues. 1) I can’t stand for long periods. And I was being asked to stand for several hours at a time. I did ask for a chair and one was provided. But the layout of the two locked front doors meant that the only place I could keep an eye on both doors did not have room for a chair without blocking the door and the manager said it was illegal to block any door because of fire safety issues.

My second issue was the fact that I physically can’t carry heavy bags from the parking lot into the building. There were several people who showed up with 50 lbs bags of dog food. It was impossible for me to get the bags from outside to the inside. They are just too heavy for me. And thinking ahead, to when it would be icy and snowy? Not possible.

So I talked to the HR woman and explained that the reason I had accepted the receptionist position was because I could physically do that. That is the job they hired me to do, and that is the job the federal grant had approved. She said she understood and if I couldn’t meet the physical demands of the door greeter then they had nothing to offer me. She said I could go home right then (I think had had been there about 5.5 hours, so I opted just to go home.

Moral of the story is to always self cath first thing in the morning and always pack an extra pad or two in your car. Having bowel and bladder problems, you get taught early on how to get on a schedule. It is spinal cord injury rehab 101. I made a mistake.
Sheilah

I would seriously doubt that offering you a job that you can’t physically do would legally cover their ADA behinds!

Not that that will help you much - even if you wanted to fight it and were successful, you’d end up working for someone (that manager) who will never be happy to have you there. What a jerk. I’m so sorry it didn’t work out for you.

4 Likes

Wow. That is just shady as hell to basically force you out. She is a grade A female dog for doing that to you. You accepted a job you could do, and they tried to give you a job you couldn’t and they think that’s ok? Not right at all, but avjudge is right, you probably wouldn’t want to work for those people anyway. Hang in there.

Air Hug GIFs | Tenor

2 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry the way this worked out. It seems sometimes it’s just not meant to be.
Chin up and find that next dream job. I’m sure there’s something out there for you.
PS I’m aghasted that if you explained your physical problem to the manager and she still handled it this way, then she’s an arsehole of a manager. And has no compassion.
Keep us posted, girl, you got this!!

1 Like

Ummmmm…I am pretty sure what that manager did is not legal under the ADA. If I remember correctly (retired HR mgr) they are indeed required to give you modifications. As others have said, you may not want to work for such a horrific jerk, but it should still be reported. An employment lawyer might take your case pro bono. I would call Legal Aid in your area. I don’t know who governs the Humane Society in your area, but they need to be made aware as well. This behavior is beyond despicable.

6 Likes

I agree with this.

So sorry you had to go through such a tough and embarrassing time like this.

1 Like

So I did talk to a friend who is a practicing attorney in this state and she did some research. What she came back with the probable position of the shelter: other employees being exposed to body fluids. Yes, it happened because I am disabled, but the other employees could say they have a right not to be exposed.

I wish they had given me the chance to show that it was a very, very rare occurrence for me and not something that happened daily. I have been disabled for 25 years and it had happened a grand total of three times (although this was the only time it happened in public).

But I am not going to stress about it. Their loss, because I would have given it my all.
Sheilah

1 Like