Unlimited access >

Natural ways to dissolve ringbone calcification?

[QUOTE=csaper58;8852721]
I believe the Hekla Lava is a supplement that is fed.

www.shi.ch/english/hekla_lava.pdf

I would be hesitant to feed it. a lot of what they describe in the above pdf sounds like ‘big head’ from calcium imbalance.[/QUOTE]
My bad, thanks. I saw the above reference to the lava ash and thought it was made into a poultice :smiley:

I find it interesting in that article that supposedly things about the study would be published in 2005, but I can’t find any reference to it.

I find no reference to it on any reliable studies.

I don’t discount anecdotes, but there’s usually a lot more going on than “I used this stuff and things got better, therefore the stuff worked”.

My mare had some major osselets when I got her pretty freshly off the track. As in, they were still quite warm. But they were also quite large. And hard. 6 months later, with much better trimming, and letting her be a horse, they were appreciably smaller.

These things CAN dissipate, to a small or large degree. The fresher they are, the more likely they are to reduce, and the more they will reduce. But it’s really, really difficult, if not impossible to reduce old, set, cold, bony growth, as at that point it’s no different from the bone it grew on.

Yep, I agree.

I was only linking to the study as the best explanation I could find of what Hekla Lave is/contains.

And thanks, I couldn’t remember the term ‘Osselets’, but that is what I was describing in my post #10.

www.thehorse.com/aticles/10119/osselets-traumatic-arthritis-of-the-fetlock.

This is a great article on osselets.

[QUOTE=nandou;8853039]
One example of the “cases” I came across researching ringbone:

Hans Wolter, a German vet who worked clinically orientated with homeopathy wrote a book called "compendium of veternarian homeopathy. There is a passage where he describes treating a mare with Symphytum (also known as Comfrey), Hekla Lava, Viscum album and Calcicum carbonicum for ringbone in both front legs as well as for bone spavin in one of her hind legs.Furthermore used was a salve consisting of Symphytum, Viscum album and Mandragora alternated with a salve only containing Symphytum.

Both diseases have been verified via x-rays before, so that the actual cure, i.e the disappearance of the bone growth could be proven by comparing the x-rays from before and after the treatment.

The whole treatment took a little less than a year.

However, he states such a treatment is only possible by choosing differentiated and specific acting homeopathic medication doses, that are affin compared to the course of disease.

Therefore, it is not recommened start any exeriments on horses by yourself, as it is a very complex topic and not as easy as just implementing some vitamins and drugs into your horse’s diet.

The book is written in German and the treatment’s description starts on page 24. You can take a look at it, if you like:

https://books.google.de/books?id=2Vh0Cv-wKhkC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=pferd+schale+homöopathie&source=bl&ots=G91cfNqKb2&sig=M4chCm0IHCIWeU1xp-VvEKH2TJE&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCyvihqZfPAhWBLsAKHYlJDwU4ChDoAQguMAM#v=onepage&q=pferd%20schale%20homöopathie&f=false

Of course, eliminating all causal factors is most important.[/QUOTE]

OP I would wonder if the conditions Dr. Hans Wolter treated were in fact osselets. The x-rays may not have been able to distinguish between the different conditions back in the day.

Many laymen, farriers, and vets have mistakenly identified osselets as ringbone. Osselets get better with rest and proper hoof balancing.

Poultices and potions are often used and given credit for what nature would have done anyway.

The article in post# 22 is very informative.

Is Dr Hans Wolter still practicing? Looks like he was active in the 80’s and early 90’s, don’t find anything recent.