Unlimited access >

Navicular & Rider's Depression

I feel like I have been trying to get to the show ring for 20 years… I read your post and my heart breaks for you. It sounds like you love your horse sooo much. I understand because I am there too.

What I have had to do is not expect anything from my horse. You have done so much for her and you know you have. Even if you had all the money in the world it doesn’t sound like she would get better.

My advice is - enjoy her. No miracle injections or shoeing… just basic balanced trim, a good diet and a big stall to roam around with friends.

Feed her, love her and watch her. If you cannot get her comfortable with the basics maybe a conversation with your vet… I know it stinks… I am putting down one of my horses tomorrow that I raised and it - - - stinks! He has navicular, hock spavins, sacro injury, bone on bone in a hind leg.

Horses are beautiful and powerful animals but so very fragile.

I’m going through the same struggle as you. I wish I could give you advice, unfortunately all the things that have worked for my mare (previcox, injections, eggbars with pads) haven’t worked for you.

I’m not sure if you mentioned it, but if she isn’t turned out, have her living outside, maybe try 24/7 if you can. Movement is great for them. Mine was stalled 24/7 until I moved her and I attribute a lot of her recovery to turnout.

I know the exact feelings you’re going through as well. We’ve attempted going to two different shows this summer (our first dressage shows, of course…) with having to scratch due to her lameness. We finally got her injected last month and it’s been working wonders.

Work with another vet and get their opinion on it. If you can afford it, MRI.

Good luck… It’s very obvious that you care for her and have her best interest in your heart. Make whatever decisions you feel would be best.

We have one at our therapeutic program that sounds similar. He’s stable right now on previcox and shoes with clog-like pads that the farrier makes for him (concept is that there is breakover in all directions - he is much happier in soft footing in the indoor - NOT something you want for a trail horse!) His career with us will end when he can’t jog evenly or shows us in other ways that he’s too uncomfortable for the job. Most programs won’t take a horse that’s as lame as you describe, but wanted to throw out a little encouragement that while your dressage plans might not work out, walking and jogging might be possible.

[QUOTE=HAPPYREDROAN;7803256]

What has been done to date with little-no success chronologically:

1. egg bar shoes w/wedge pads and a squared toe - little change

Eggbars and wedges is kind of an old school approach. You may get an initial change but nothing that lasts.

1. bute trials - resulting in ulcers

Bute doesn’t really work that low in the foot.

1. previcox trials - no change

bute without the ulcers

1. bursae & coffin joint injections & drainage of fluid along coffin joint- 95% sound for two weeks

Injections with a good shoeing plan by a good Farrier is your best bet. Injection only lasting 2 weeks isn’t a good sign.

1. severe stone bruising both front hooves - treated w/hoof hardener, epsom salt soaks, magic cushion hoof packs, and hoof boots)

I think feet like these need very good Farriers but at the very least some sort of protection… pads, equipak… should be used to prevent stone bruising.

My general feeling is this, you can’t figure out how much the navicular is bothering him until you deal with his soles. If you need to glue shoes on and build mechanics into the shoes then add some sort of sole protection in order to get the bottom of his feet to stop hurting, so be it.

Many navicular type issues get much better when you build the bottom of the foot up and add protection.

I’m all for getting as much money as you’re willing to pay to get your horse shod. A good Farrier should be able to set your horse up mechanically at a fairly reasonable price. Not saying shoeing will give you a sound horse but I’m willing to bet it makes a big difference.