Unlimited access >

*NECESSARY Farm Equipment? Please help!

We started with just a John Deere 6320, high capacity bucket, bale spear, and pallet forks.

We borrowed any attachments/implements from local farmers and have since added a square baler, brush hog, rototiller, drag, box grader, post hole digger and probably a few other things I don’t see us use often.

We still borrow/trade work for cutting hay, raking hay, and round baling. We are fortunate that we prefer to cut hay earlier than most people in this area or no one would have one to spare.

We have also since added a Ranger (similar to a mule) which has been very handy for pulling hay wagons, using the winch, moving small amounts of hay, feed, checking fences, keeping kids out of the way (“sit in the ranger while I do this thing”), etc.

Our most recent acquisition is a commercial grade zero turn. It’s great for mowing my grass trails, grass riding field and the lawn. We quickly gave up mowing the pasture with it, and hired someone with a flail mower to mow them with his tractor instead. The goal for us is a batwing mower but that’s a ways down the line, also perhaps a bobcat/smaller tracked tractor that won’t be so hard on nice grass.

I would highly recommend as other posters have suggested to make a list of the things you know you’ll need to do and then try to imagine the things you might need to do.

I never dreamed that every spring we’d be moving/clearing buckets of mud out of our “dry lots.” Buying the tractor was a huge leap and I don’t regret it at all. Couldn’t imagine doing it without it.

2 Likes

Yeah, the ability to move dirt has been such a boon. Easy to overlook how many places on the farm where terrain or other obstacles force you to work around them, accommodate them, etc. With the tractor, FEL and backhoe, I can make the land accommodate ME! Just little stuff-- like we had a raised “bump” in one of the fields that the mower would get hung up on (so you end up going around it --and then brush starts growing in and it just looks shaggy). With the right tools, I could cut the top off that bump, smooth it out, and the shaggy weedy area is no more.
It’s nice to keep a pile of fill dirt, mulch and stone on the property, so when you notice a problem area, you can just go grab a few scoops and fix it. So satisfying!

2 Likes

Jumper n Dressage … I figure you’re convinced by now, to get a tractor. I’m posting to answer which tractor… 25 years ago, I was considering a compact tractor for our newly purchased 30 acres & two horses. Compact tractor refers to size, not horsepower. Lucky for me, the more experienced around me counseled a full size tractor. The cost differential is minimal. So I bought the a 40 Hp AG tractor with FEL. (Deere 5200) The size determines how much lift & pulling, the machine can perform. Horsepower only determines how fast the work is performed. I have never regretted the size even when mucking stalls in close quarters.

Lastly, a cab tractor vs an open station… While a cab is nice in the weather, farm chores require a lot of on & off. The access from a cab will get burdensome quickly. Trees and other buildings will cause expensive glass replacements too. A canopy has been comfortable under the hot sun.

2 Likes

So I have less land than you (6 acres) but mine is not forested. Also, I live in Colorado and we rarely have to mow pastures–it’s too dry here to get lush pasture. I do not have a tractor. I have a riding mower with attachments (seed spreader, dump cart, 30 gallon weed sprayer), and a Polaris Ranger. I have a snow plow blade with winch on my Ranger, and an EZ Groomer for my arena, and a chain harrow for my driveway. I use the chain harrow flipped to drag the pastures. I can handle up to about 6 inches of snow with the plow. I have a contract with a local landscaping company to remove snow over 6 inches. I hire a local companies to scrape runs and add crusher fines, to recrown my gravel driveway after winter. I seed and spray myself. I have a 3 yard dumpster (3 horses) that is emptied weekly for manure and use a four step mounting block to dump into it. I drag the manure in the pastures about 2 times a year.

I buy hay from the same farmer every year and he has guys you can contract with to deliver and stack it. I have a large hay storage area, so can buy a year’s worth of hay and pay for the labor. I only want to handle small bales anyway. If I wanted to buy the huge bales to save money, I’d probably need a tractor.

I don’t think I need a tractor. It would be nice, but I’ve been here 3 years without one and the only time I question it is when we get one of those gigantic snow storms with 18" of snow. So I have a contract for that.

I can’t handle caring for more than 3 horses, but if I did, I think I’d rethink the lack of tractor.

2 Likes