Unlimited access >

Need a jump saddle for short back high wither horse

My CWD fit my N County horse better than the N County - he was in peak fitness/muscling with both pretty equally. All 3 of the CWDs (one 2Gs, two mademoiselles) I have are more “cut back” over the withers, so almost side steps the issue I always struggled with with my Counties where the pommel was always super snug around his withers.

1 Like

I think Amerigos run a little large, in case it helps at all looking for a 17”.

I was thinking about this post, and wondering about the sizing… Have you measured accurately your hip to knee measurement? 17.5 is quite a large seat size, normally used by taller people. I’m about the same size as you in height, and my hip to knee measurement puts me right inbetween a 16.5 and 17 inch seat size in a saddle. I’d be SWIMMING in a 17.5. I normally ride in a 16.5, but that Courbette I rescued is a 17, and it’s OK for me too. It’s a difficult measurement to take accurately… perhaps a professional saddle fitter could help you with this? Especially if your horse is short backed, you do not want a saddle that it bigger/longer than necessary.

It’s not really that large though. I’m 5’5" and around 120lb give or take, and a 17.5 isn’t too big for me at all. So much depends on how flat or curved the seat is, how low or tall the cantle is.

Most people ride in saddles too small. Knee to hip is one measure that can make a person need a slightly smaller or bigger seat size, but at some point you would still need a more forward, or straighter flap.

And then again, there is no standard, so 17" in Brand A doesn’t fit like 17" in Brand B

I measure 23” from my knee to my butt. I have a larger caboose so maybe that’s why :joy:
But I think you’re right, I should be looking for a 17” and that will help with the saddle length.

Ohh interesting. It could be the shape of my saddle’s tree is too flat for my horse instead of the length being too long maybe

The seat still has to fit your hiney. Looking for a smaller seat just because you’re short in the femur, may mean you sit too far back on the cantle

1 Like

It’s from your knee joint to your hip joint. Butt size is extra. There’s a chart somewhere, shows just where the measurements are taken. Someone who does this professionally will know exactly where the measurement is on you.

Oh I’ll try that! Thanks! My saddle fitter can’t come out until the end of June, so I’m trying to find something before then if possible. Plus her saddles are out of my price range (they are all >$1500).

I have similar shaped horses that go in Amerigo, Butet and Voltaire.

1 Like

And thus the case for saddles over children. :joy:

2 Likes

Years ago, when I first got my beloved but long and high withered TB with meatball shoulders – I rode in an old fashioned Crump (totally dating myself).

After deciding to ride in a more current saddle, we went down that nasty path of many high priced saddles that never worked other than it created the bucking bronco.

The final, actual winner, was from a saddle fitter that had a used “Spirig” that his client was not using.

Once we moved to that – old shark fin went back to his pleasant self and happily jumped around with me and also took care of many pre-teen barn kids looking for a horse to hack (better to get loved on by a 9 year old than stand/sleep in a stall).

The saddle seems to be a European brand - I didn’t care – it solved a hard puzzle.

I bought it used for $1200 and sold it on consignment many a year later for the same price – shipping it from west coast to east coast to a consignment store somewhere after my local shop refused to even list it.

1 Like