Unlimited access >

Need advice on new kitties

What a crew of Sweeties!

They are adorable! They will love all the “buried treasure.” Now they are fun “new” toys.

Additional votes here for the lounger, double-sided tape, and how adorable they are!

I’ve had kitties for decades and fortunately have never had a furniture scratcher or xmas tree climber (fingers crossed my luck holds).

@maggiemae Thank for you changing your mind on declawing - those rescue babies are so lucky to have you! They will never replace your Tortie girl, but they will fill your house with love :slight_smile:

It sounds like you are pretty well-stocked for scratchers, but if your young ones are not using the posts, try spraying them with a liquid catnip spray as an attractant. Also, consider getting a different texture/material/orientation. I had one cat who hated cardboard scratchers, but loved vertical sisal ones. Of course, his brother only liked cardboard horizontal ones, so go figure. You might have to play around a try a few before you zero in on the style(s) your cats will actually use.

Clipping claws is easy! Since you have kittens, start practicing holding them and playing with their toe beans and extending claws. Its no different than teaching a weanling to stand and pick up feet for a farrier. Short, positive sessions, lots of rewards - don’t’ try to do all paws at once at first… I clip all of my cats claws probably every 2 weeks? depends on growth and nail capsule shedding. They all get used to it so its a non-event. Maybe get some styptic powder to have on-hand just incase you make a mistake and cut the quick.

3 Likes

These two have filled the house with happiness. Sometimes demanding happiness, but that’s ok. They tend to prefer vertical sisal scratching posts. But, they have been good about using them. Annie likes to suckle on me at night. I have been getting her to use a newborn pacifier. She is getting it.

The foster did clip their nails, so they are used to having their feet handled. I have been handling their feet every day when they get brushed. Just haven’t gotten the nerve to actually clip them. They were clipped a week ok, so I’m thinking I’m ok for awhile. They go back to the vet at the end of the month for their next round of vaccinations. I will have the vet or vet tech give me a quick tutorial.

A couple new pictures.

Annie getting better about desk/computer etiquette.

Rosie looking cute

Sisterly love.

10 Likes

adorable! I love how they want to snuggle together. Such sweet little girlies.

:slight_smile: :heart: :heart:

I will probably get hate for this, but one of my cats was very licky/nibbly on my face. When he tried to do this to get me out of bed I would blow back in his face. It stopped quickly.

My black cat says hi to your black cat!

1 Like

I did this, too. It only about a week to break her of the habit.

2 Likes