Unlimited access >

Need help deciding on new helmet: MIPS or not?

My quasi-granddaughter was in Wellington as a working student and said the harness on her CO was worn out. We bought it dirt cheap at Equine Affaire because it was a discontinued model. She was going to save money for a new one. No…

I sent her 3 helmets from SmartPak to try. A CO, Trauma Void Lynx, and I don’t remember the brand of the third one. Trauma Void was the only MIPS helmet at the time. I had an EQ3 which I really like. I told her to pick the one that fit the best. She chose the Lynx. She sent the other two back, to SmartPak - free return postage.

I’ve had to retire my horse from riding, but I’m wearing my helmet most of the time long lining etc. I’m 73 and that bit about falling more when you age is turning out to be true. Tripping is my primary problem. There are so many MIPS helmets now that most people probably can find one that is comfortable.

4 Likes

I’ve written a couple of article about MIPS and would never choose a helmet without now, unless for some reason not one of the available models fit me properly.

The technology makes a HUGE difference in reducing brain injury - that’s why it has been standard in helmets for high risk sports like skiing and mountain biking for years.

Basically traditional helmets are designed simply to protect your head from a penetrating injury. So if you fall on a rock, for example, that rock won’t penetrate your skull. However 100% of the force from that impact still gets directed to your brain.

The MIPS liner redirects the force from the impact away from your brain, significantly reducing the chance of concussion or other TBI, and / or reducing the severity of such injuries.

They don’t feel any different from a traditional helmet, come in a variety of styles (I love the Tipperary models) and are half the price of high end helmets that don’t offer this protection. I can’t see any reason NOT to buy a MIPS helmet.

9 Likes

Tipperary Windsor for oval heads. I tried about 4 and it was the only one that fit me.

1 Like

I haven’t found one yet that fits, but I’ve only tried 3 models. I’ve found they feel significantly different than traditional helmets - even in oval sizes they’re not as oval, and they’re much heavier. I’ll try some more in the Sept sales.

1 Like

Try the Tipperary models, they have two now and they are both really attractive, which is a bonus. The only difference in fit is that I found they run a bit smaller. Definitely not heavier than my traditional Tipperary.

1 Like

I will! I’ve heard good things about the Windsor.

That’s the one I have, and they just came out with a new MIPS model too, which may fit a bit differently.

1 Like

I have the Tipp Windsor MIPS and love it. I had the EQ3 prior to that and a series of AYR8s before that. Not heavy, well ventilated, and sharp looking.

1 Like

Whens helmet day again?

September 16 and 17

3 Likes

I ended up going with a TraumaVoid EQ3. It fits my round head very well. I wouldn’t say it’s bigger or heavier than my last helmet, though neither is low profile. I’ve got a bad neck and it doesn’t bother that at all.

I’ve had a few concussions, one horse related, and I can’t afford another. For the price, I couldn’t see a reason to not go with MIPS. If it can reduce the chance of concussion even by a fraction, it’s worth it. I was shocked at how reasonable the price was. I’m planning on swapping out my bike helmet, too. You can fix broken bones, but the brain is just so complex, do anything you can to protect it.

7 Likes

I know I’m late to the game here, but I want anyone who reads this in the future to know how much safer MIPS helmets are.

When I started showing last year I went to buy a helmet that was fancier than my base level Tipperary. After some research I decided on the TraumaVoid EQ3. This turned out to be the best decision of my life.

This past summer I was at my first ever Recognized dressage show. My horse has a very big personality (read: obnoxious, opinionated, mildly awful) and can get squirrely while mounting at shows. This was the day we arrived and were going to ride the horses in our rings and practice tests. My trainer told me a time to be up there and went off with another rider.

I walked (on the ground) up to the ring I was going to ride and went to the mounting block. The ground was wet and there was a tree next to us. It was a freak accident.

He slipped backwards into the tree, freaked out, jumped forward and hit more tree, and then lost his footing and went straight up and back. He flipped over on top of me. My head had crashed into the rocky pathway with all the force of a 1200lb animal. My helmet cracked and the MIPs activated.

All I got was a headache that went away by dinner time. No concussion, no trip to the ER (despite many people trying to call me an ambulance), and a completely healthy noggin.

I ended up Reserve Champion that weekend.

I will never buy another helmet without MIPs ever again. That TraumaVoid literally saved my life. I still think about the huge crack in the helmet and how that could’ve easily been my skull.

My advice to all is to BUY THE MIPS!

19 Likes

I bought a UVEX MIPS last year after a pretty horrendous fall. I am a trail rider, and the UVEX offered the most ventilation. It also fits me very well, is comfortable and light weight. I have worn it all year through the heat and humidity of a southern summer, and never once has it annoyed or overheated me.

But, I will add this. ANY ASTM helmet is important. A Tippary Sportage saved my life. I bought it on sale from Riding Warehouse for well less than $80.

My Sportage was cracked through in 3 places. I had a concussion, inoperable brain bleed and cracked my sternum in 2 different places. I was life flighted to the nearest trauma center. My husband was sure I was dead as he witnessed the wreck happening. He and my doctors believe I would not be here if not for wearing a helmet.

3 Likes

Agreed! While mine didn’t save my life per se, it prevented a horrible concussion.

My horse tripped a few weeks ago and we both went down. I lawn-darted face-first into the ground and he rolled on top of me trying to regain his footing. I broke my nose (and he knocked out his two front teeth!!) but my head was unscathed in my OneK MIPS. Replaced it immediately and won’t buy a non-MIPS again. I’ve had a similar fall in a Samshield, and I had a nasty concussion.

2 Likes

Any well-fitting ASTM helmet will help save your life. Any well-fitting ASTM helmet is exponentially better than no helmet.

A well-fitting MIPS helmet will help save your life, plus significantly reduce the chance of brain injury. It’s a win-win.

8 Likes

AMEN!!!

2 Likes

Well said @BigMama1.

3 Likes

Yes to MIPS. All of my riders are replacing old helmets with MIPS.

2 Likes

I have kids, a husband, and disposable income. I enjoy not drinking my food through a straw. Anything that helps protect the former and avoid the latter is a plus for me.

3 Likes

I just bought the Trauma Void during Helmet Awareness Week. The price was reasonable, wasn’t any higher than the non-MIPs and so far it has been comfortable and cool. The one I have is navy with some sparkle and I have received many compliments on how cool it looks.

I am happy to report that I have no “saved my life” stories, and I don’t want any, but I am glad I bought it.

3 Likes