Unlimited access >

Need recommendations: dressage saddle for 4.5 year old FSH

After I sent photos and withers tracings to Hastilow, they’ve responded saying “if you can go to $3150 our Fairfax Elias is on sale and is made especially for Friesians”. I’ve followed up to ask if they are making this recommendation in response to photos and tracings, OR simply because he’s Friesian Sport Horse.

That said, I’m interested in anyone’s experience with this saddle, please! It seems fairly recent (introduced in 2019?), and I can’t find info on how easily it could be resold, if necessary.

Also, your humor for the day: while I’ve been carefully considering his name, I’ve referred to him as “Mr FSH” in my texts with trainer/BO. She said this has caused him to now be known as “Fish” or “Feesh”, courtesy of the million kids who take lessons at the barn. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

A million years ago I had a Wintec A/P saddle for my Appendix QH, and I remember that my boot tops were constantly catching on the flap bottoms. Maybe the dressage saddle would be different? I’m 5’8, but long-waisted / not super long-legged…

After reaching out to multiple saddleries (Pelham, Hastilow, Duett), some responded, and even replied several times while I provided more info…but then, silence: no one has replied with “based on your horse’s photos and tracings, we recommend this or that saddle”. I’m about to give up and just buy a Wintec Isabella for now, because this is so frustrating. Whoever said buying a saddle = hell was correct.

Try contacting Aiken Tack Exchange. They always have a huge list of saddles on consignment and a fitter on staff to help you figure out if any of them will work for you.

1 Like

Contact The Galloping Grape. She’ll recommend based on photos and tracings and her saddles all have a 5 day trial. She really helped me out with 2 horses. I unfortunately would not recommend Hastilow. I had them out for a fitting and upped my budget and my horse still hated the saddle they recommended. My friend bought custom from them and it worked for her horse but didn’t fit her at all. Both fit in person so I wouldn’t trust their skills using tracings.

1 Like

Weird. Hastilow sent me half a dozen options within days and Duett made their recommendation even more quickly.

Duett has been fairly responsive. They said “Duett Fidelio”, but it’s not an adjustable gullet, and I’m concerned about how long it would fit him. Kinda don’t want to buy a brand new $2K+ saddle just to resell in a year, or less…

See my earlier post about Hastilow: they simply said “buy this saddle that’s designed for Friesians”, and when I followed up with several further questions (was this recommendation based on his tracings and photos, or just that he’s FriesianX? which gullet plate would fit? what are trial and return policies? etc.) – crickets.

Sigh…

The Fidelio is the one I have for my Friesian cross. Steve can do a lot as far as adjusting the flocking but no it’s not an interchangeable gullet. There are some very nice used ones for sale on the FB page closer to 1k but it’s risky buying like that unless you are confident in what size and panel configuration you need.

Strangely Hastilow did not rec that particular saddle to me. Are you working with Carly? If so you may have to follow up. When I worked with her she seemed very busy. Based on my experience w Carly she would have made the rec based on the tracing and she won’t rec anything if she doesn’t believe it will fit.

Jay at Trumbull is straightforward to work with but if your horse is built like my horse than they won’t have much that is affordable that will fit.

Obviously you can just buy a Wintec but an interchangeable gullet is no guarantee that it will even come close to fitting.

Yes, saddle shopping is hell.

1 Like

It was Annette at Hastilow that just said “if you can spend $3100 our Fairfax Elias is designed for Friesians”. Carly was not involved, AFAIK.

My trainer has been riding him in her adjustable Bates. I’m just going to do an eyeball of how it sits on him bare, and maybe consider buying a used one of my own. (Not sure which model, I need to find out.)

I haven’t even tried any actual saddles yet and already I’m frustrated with the experience. DH laughingly said “next time, we’ll just make the horse buying decision based on whether your saddle works for it.”

3 Likes

I haven’t worked with Annette.

I have a Bates jump saddle. It’s too curvy for my guy.

I tell myself that any new horse budget must include budget for new saddle lol.

I think Patti Merril does paid virtual consults where she will give you a list of Black Country saddles and configurations that will work and help you shop used if need be. I’ve not used her but she’s highly recommended

1 Like

Oooo, good experience…thank you! And good food for thought.