Unlimited access >

New Breed (for me)

Just watching videos only (never have seen in real life), it looks to me like the Spanish types are all legs. That their legs can move any-which-way so very well, but the horse above doesn’t bend. Their necks and heads are fine and mobile, but their bodies are stiff/tight…bunched.

Not at all. They are compact horses who have a talent for collection, but I have never found this statement to be remotely universal - they are quite flexible and mobile, just find stretching and lengthening to be difficult.

5 Likes

Freisians were bred for pulling. That means their geometry is entirely different to that required for sporthorses. Mostly upright shoulders and rear quarters pushing out the back, rather than carrying under the body.

6 Likes

Just want to jump in and say this was a very informative thread, thank you.

Also, I think the way the spanish riders portray their horses is very different from how a dressage rider
wants to ride.

3 Likes

Thanks for all for the comments! I will continue to ask for more input as I travel this path. Being so used to warmbloods, I definitely will need to ride prospects several times if possible.

Regarding Friesians, I’ve known several really nice horses that were successful in dressage…most ridden by high level trainers. I’ve seen crosses that were exceptional.

This is great info and I appreciate all the comments! Keep 'em coming please.

1 Like

Regarding Friesians, I’ve known several really nice horses that were successful in dressage…most ridden by high level trainers. I’ve seen crosses that were exceptional.

Every breed/cross/whatever has a few examples that are extraordinary. Be careful not to equate a few special examples with a breed as a whole, especially if it’s a cross with 50% coming from somewhere else.

9 Likes

Many Spanish horses are leg movers. With some of them, it takes a lot of correct basic work to truly get them over the back, versus just trotting in place like a sewing machine. They are different ride than a warmblood or a thoroughbred.

Many of the horses that I’ve seen marketed in Spain are not necessarily correctly trained - they can do a trick piaffe, and trick passage, but probably wouldn’t make it through a first level test. Even if they look like they are “on the bit” it might be a false connection. They find that very easy. They were bred to be able to turn on a dime and work cattle, and be an all around working horse out in the field. You want something catty and agile, hence their talent for collection. Some of the ones that were bred from bullfighting lines would put a quarter horse to shame, they can move so quickly. That’s where the leg movement really shines.

However, we are starting to see more “sporty” PREs, and the Lusitanos especially are showing more modern walks and trots with greater swing through the back and more shoulder freedom. Escorial (Lusitano stallion) is a fantastic example.

5 Likes

My current barn has a few Friesian and Lusitano horses that are training in dressage. Looking at a few of the Friesian, with their longer backs, it seems to be more tricky getting them through their back.

The Lusitanos are more balanced looking and compact and do really well. My trainer has a stallion from some rare bloodline or type that she might breed again. His offspring are also at the barn and are really nice, smart horses.

Great for working equitation!

1 Like

Isn’t new horse shopping fun? Until it isn’t LOL Until it’s a marathon. Until you’re convinced every horse is lame or $100,000 and lame LMAO

I hate the search.

7 Likes

Amen!!

1 Like

And I would bet that those trainers struggled to get those horses truly round and connected. It’s a TON of work and hard for the horse (because they aren’t built for it). Everything my friesian struggled with was easy peasy for my warmblood. I got terrific scores showing my friesian at the lower levels, so it is doable, but he topped out around 3rd/4th level because the work was too hard and he wasn’t enjoying it anymore (but don’t misread this - he absolutely struggled with the connection at training and first level in the beginning). Comparatively, I get excellent scores on my warmblood, and she finds the work through FEI easy. She enjoys it because it’s doable for her - she’s bred to do it. I see so many amatures struggle with their friesians in dressage. The trainers do better, but unless you want to buy a horse for your trainer to ride and show, I would recommend against them. Some are being bred more for what is needed in dressage, but most aren’t. Even the ones built for sport will still never find it as easy as an actual sporthorse.

As with any cross, I suppose it depends on the actual animal that hits the ground, so I would recommend considering one old enough your trainer can sit on it and evaluate.

All that being said, my friesian (and all the others I’ve met) was a total sweet heart. And of course, very pretty to look at :slight_smile:

If you want a non-warmblood that’s going to be fun to ride and that will enjoy dressage, get an iberian :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think it really depends on what you want out of dressage. For me, it’s alll about the conversation and teaching a horse to use her/his body well. So to take a Fresian and put her through training would be a joy. The longer, and more there is to learn/be taught, the better.
The journey, not the destination… is the thing i’m in it for.

3 Likes

OP, you need to consider your riding background and how changing to different type of horse will impact you. Iberians and Friesians (and other non-WB breeds!) can present very different challenges. You will have to approach and ride things a bit differently and learn their different issues. Decide whether that really appeals to you, or would you be just as happy with a horse with a similar body style and challenges except for “X” (whatever it is that bugs you) Some good info here on some of the issues others have faced. How much some of that is an issue for you depends upon your goals and resources as well as your preferences.

Signed,
A Morgan aficionado

![Alfie head bridled|387x500]

9 Likes

It would also be the journey for your horse. If he/she hates it or it stresses their mind/body - how is thei journey ?

7 Likes

Presented in a manner that is physically beneficial to the horse and at the same time builds upon a conversation, ie furthers good communication between the rider and the horse, how would it stress the mind or body of the horse? i would think that any discipline that is not hard on a horse’s body would be wonderful for the horse. I don’t think i’ve ever met an animal that doesn’t revel in positive communication with a trainer. I can see where jumping or barrels might present a physical problem with a horse. But dressage has a focus that is not about pushing physical limits. (or it doesn’t have to be…but some folks will present the discipline that way won’t they?

4 Likes

It does very much depend on your goals. If your goal is to bring the horse along to a level where collection is required, both horse and rider may find it more enjoyable if the horse finds collection naturally easy.

My very poorly conformed gelding did fine up to Second Level and could do all the Third Level movements, but not with the required impulsion and collection. Trying to improve on this proved to be frustrating and miserable for both of us as it was so difficult for him, physically and mentally. He was much happier once he went back to a First level way of going.

If the goal is having fun at the lower levels and enjoying the ride, then any sound, well-put together horse with a good brain will do. If the goal is to move well up the levels, I have learned through repeated mistakes it’s a lot more fun for both horse and rider if the horse is physically and mentally well-suited for the job. Personally I’d choose breeds that are the rule, not the exception.

12 Likes

@eightpondfarm

There are two things called dressage.

One is a system of training that can be a valuable foundation for any discipline.

The other is a series of competitive tests that in increase in complexity as you go up the levels and are often used as short hand to describe a horses ability.

The lowest levels, Training and First, could be successfully done by any well schooled English horse. Above that, Second, Third, and Fourth require progressively more collection, as well as moves like half pass and flying change. During this process, natural ability and conformation really start to matter.

For instance, a horse with smaller gaits may get marked down because there isn’t enough difference between working, medium, and extended trot.

Many ammies stall out at First or Second. But not on purpose, it’s just that their horse, their trainer, and/or their own riding is limited.

So yes you can take any horse and make him softer and carry himself better with basic dressage. But you can’t make every horse collect enough for a canter pirouette or indeed even do a flying lead change.

16 Likes

I used to drive for a commercial carriage company that employed all draft horses. I’ve also had several large, full blood drafts of my own. I love them. Hate riding them with a passion! Friesians also fall into that category for me personally. A horse who is pulling likely experiences the movement in his body as pushing. He leans long & low into the collar & sort of broadens across the muscles of the shoulders & base of the neck.

If you visualize the same in your own body, you’ll probably feel your neck become more rigid set. That neck is immensely strong but not very supple. So, you have a huge horse that is crazy strong & doesn’t bend very easily.

6 Likes

Great visualization!

1 Like

Dressage, and collection, is incredibly physically challenging for the horse. It requires the kind of strength developed over years to properly carry the weight behind and move forward in balance.

And since the point of it is to develop to that level, that is why there are horses that are suited for it and horses that are not, just like there are body types that make excellent gymnasts or swimmers but terrible rock climbers.

3 Likes