Unlimited access >

New truck too tall for existing GN trailer

GOOD information here; http://www.blueridgetrailer.com/blog/gooseneck-trailer-clearance-truck-bed/

DON’T: Buy a used trailer without testing your truck’s suspension

Just as trucks are getting built taller and taller, they’re also getting softer and softer suspensions. This can be either a blessing or a curse when you go to hitch up a heavy gooseneck trailer.

In some cases, we’ll see customers drop a gooseneck on their truck, and the suspension will simply be too soft to safely support the trailer.

Other times, the suspension will provide just enough give to create the minimum six inches of clearance between the trailer and truck bed, while still supporting the trailer adequately.

It’s nearly impossible to determine what the case will be for your truck and a given trailer without hitching it up and taking a look. So don’t buy a trailer without testing it out first!

“Soft” is way too vague of a term. I encourage everyone to consult with their owners manual for appropriate tow rating. How much your truck squats is not a reliable indicator of anything, be it “not enough” or “too much”.

1 Like

These threads get me near tears every time. Who has the budget for a new truck AND trailer? And who is going to buy my older GN trailer when I finally bite the bullet on the newer truck and trailer?? ARGH. :sob:

1 Like

Someone needs to whisper in a CEO’s ear that the first brand to lower the sides of their HD pickups wins. I wonder how it would look to have 1 foot tall sides on a bed…

2 Likes

I was kind of thinking along the same lines: what if you went to a welder and had your truck sides lowered a few inches? It seems possible, and fairly easy to do, but you’d be left with a weld seam and a necessary paint job. I’m guessing it would be cheaper than getting a flatbed, though.

Not sure what the seam would look like, but maybe it could be covered with the spray-in bed liner?

On the inside, sure. On the outside… sure, if you don’t mind that look. :joy:

Ran into the same problem trying to buy a truck.

I’m going to try and go the flatbed route. I found one locally that looks interesting that I’m planning to see today or tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Just an FYI if you are not already driving on a class A license, a flat bed may move you into a licensure change to the class A. For some people not a big deal, and others it is. I buy older trucks to keep my height of bed lower. Newer trucks have also been pretty butt ugly in the styling department in my opinion. Good luck!

OP here, thank you all for the useful advice, I decided to lift the trailer 3" It cost ~600.
I’m overall happy with the result, the ramp isn’t too steep for the horses and it seems to tow about the same.

I’m not particularly attached to my trailer, it’s just a standard issue 2H GN, so if it had been really expensive I would have gone ahead and replaced it, but there was some time/effort savings in not having to manage a sale and purchase and so far so good.

Pics of it before (navy truck) and after (white truck). I think it remains pretty level, but I went from 11" to 6" of clearance.

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

IMG_7060

1 Like