Unlimited access >

"not tight in the tack"

I think it’s a combination of proprioception (awareness of where your body is and how it’s moving in time/space), strength (especially core strength), and “feel” (connection/feedback maybe this is proprioception of self plus horse?)

Some of us have a surplus of one or more of these naturally, all can be trained to some degree. Unfortunately proprioception and muscling decreases with age but good training maintains and refines what we have.

I have taught a bunch of adult friends to ride over the years and it’s always surprising to me who gets the feel for it more quickly than others. Runners seem to have a hard time getting good position but do have a decent baseline of balance and core strength. Climbers do well.

And more than once I’ve had people who look so uncomfortable getting their hips open that I know the likelihood they will ever get on again is about nil.

4 Likes

Thank you pluvinal. I just ordered as a Christmas prezzie for me!

1 Like

Ha, I’m also a runner and feel seen. I’m currently focusing on running rather than riding (due to finances unfortunately), and the one nice thing about running is that the road doesn’t care how asymmetrical or odd your position is, as long as you’re fast and you’re not hurting yourself. While the elite runners are pretty symmetrical and “perfect” a lot of very fast less elite runners are pretty effective with weird styles.

I think that’s less common in riding. There are a few freaks of nature with perfect balance who are loose in the tack, but even if the rider is “comfortable” asymmetrical in the saddle, the horse sure isn’t.

4 Likes

In my experience, surfers and skaters pick up riding in a heartbeat!

1 Like

Check in when you get a chance to look it over. I would be interested to hear if it is still good or if my memory is fading. Some of the old cavalry types had to teach raw recruits to be effective mounted soldiers and some of that wisdom seems to have faded away.

1 Like

Ditto skiers, both water and snow! One of my good friends is beginner-ish rider but has skied most of her life; she’s still working on all the mechanics, but she’s had excellent balance from the start.

5 Likes

I think skiing/snowboarding-esque type sports somewhat force the athlete to learn to soften unexpected impacts, and as a result, you don’t rely on your board/skis to be stable surfaces, unlike a runner, who probably never expects the pavement to suddenly bounce underneath them. In a similar vein, beginner riders can often try to “rely” on their stirrups as being stable, which they are not! This inevitably leads to them turning into rigid bricks, trying with every ounce of their might to muscle their way through the bumps. Most are unsuccessful :wink:

4 Likes

I feel like there’s overlap between skiing and jumping/eventing.

2 Likes

It goes the other way too. I am not a natural at riding but have worked very hard t it for decades. I am a very beginner skier, not having tried at all until well into adulthood, but the very few things I do “ok” definitely come from lessons learned riding.

2 Likes

The very wizened trail runners i encounter are VERY symmetrical and go at a good clip very consistently. I am always impressed by their technique and how it makes what they are doing look so easy, though it obviously isn’t!

1 Like

I think there is something about the specific glute or thigh development or something from running that can work against correct leg position in riding? Is not my personal problem as I don’t run :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have long forgotten muscle names but from what I understand, good runners have strongly developed hip flexors which pull the body inline as they stride in and out. This creates energy recapture from efficiency and muscle/tendon snapback.

Having hip flexors tuned to pull the body inline, and then sitting on a horse where those flexors are being pulled away from the body can result in difficulty in letting the leg drape neutrally. I have seen this result especially in difficulty keeping the knee from turning.

Luckily, runners understand good bodywork and can adapt quickly if riding is something they really want to pursue!

4 Likes

I have runner friends who ride at a much higher level than I do and do ultra marathons, so when a dressage instructor told me to give it up, I obviously ignored it. I think running is the best way to get fit, and since most people who don’t have their own horses have limited saddle time, it’s good for that.

I think the solution to pretty much all position issues is usually more saddle time on multiple (sane, not scary) horses, but it’s just getting that saddle time and variety that’s a challenge for the average ammie. (I say sane not scary, but I think the one exception is riding horses that are very green or inappropriate, which can result in defensive riding or, obviously injury.)

3 Likes

It is called balance…and reflexes

3 Likes

I both run and ride and do not find them at odds. I will say that hip flexors (and hip injuries) have been the bane of my existence for a long time but I started working with a kinesiologist and he has helped me tremendously

2 Likes

I agree. I’ve only water skied a few times but I had little to no issue getting up the first time because it felt oddly similar to riding in two point. (I imagine snow skiing is an even better analog, but I’ve yet to attempt it.)

2 Likes

I am not a serious runner, but I do find that road/track/treadmill running has a much bigger impact on hip flexor tightness than trail running. Less than switching between jumping and dressage even. Hiking and trail running are really wonderful ways to exercise.

1 Like

I’ve had people tell me that when they switch from treadmill to running outdoors even on level.ground it’s much more work and they can’t make the same stats for speed and distance.

Our hikes out here almost all involved elevation gain and uneven terrain. Going out on a groomed path on the flatland like a seawall or dyke is a walk not a hike. Our mountain trail runners cover terrain that’s a hike with a exertion for me. I agree both hiking and trail running on mountain terrain uses the body very differently from running on the flat.

1 Like

Which is why “dressage” or most horses need to exercise on uneven ground. The uneven ground forces the body (human and horse) to use all its muscle groups to maintain balance.

I ride in an indoor because I am a “woos” regarding rain, cold and snow, not for a perfectly groomed footing. But I also will go and work on slight grades and trail ride at all gaits as I think it builds mental self confidence in the horse and fitness without excessive drilling.

3 Likes

My horse gets some hilly trail challenges over the course of the year and will also do blast turnout buck and run in the outdoor arena which can get quite deep. Never had a soft tissue injury yet. The horses that get the career limiting soft tissue chronic strain injuries are the ones who are kept in the indoor and longed, often not allowed free run turnout because they might get injured.

I think that free play buck and run builds strength and balance.

7 Likes