Unlimited access >

NY Times Article: Black Equestrians Want to Be Safe. But They Can’t Find Helmets

Remember the bouffant and beehive hairdos of the '60s? Ever try to fit a hard hat on one of those, O elderly white horsewomen?

3 Likes

Taking down and putting up that sort of hairstyle is a totally different thing than what is being discussed here. Zero equivalence.

Besides which we’re smarter now and actually want to wear protective helmets instead of not-so-protective hunt caps or nothing at all.

If bouffant hairdos were a thing in this modern age because of culture/hair protection, you bet your ass manufacturers would already be catering to them because white women are their bread and butter.

The only reason that helmet manufacturers have not yet got on the ball is that they are too stupid to see the tide is changing and are not yet keeping up with their changing demographic.

11 Likes

What kind of helmets do Paige Johnson and Tot Goodwin wear?

A quick Google search shows me that she(Paige) wears her hair smoothed and straightened, or a weave. So not really applicable as she isn’t wearing locks or dreads

She’s still black so it’s applicable.

1 Like

Some people will refuse to understand that Black people should not have to alter their natural hair texture in order to have safety equipment that fits.

16 Likes

Or it’s a question relevant to the topic? My friends don’t always wear their hair smooth or have a weave in. They also don’t wear dreads or locks so a helmet can fit. They certainly don’t alter their natural hair for a helmet. They just like the look.

Anecdote of one I know.

1 Like

No, not really.

The article talks about women wanting to wear their natural hair, or larger cultural styles, and not being able to.

All it does when you point out someone who is a POC and wears their hair a particular way, is say “well they did it this way, why can’t you”

The article in question specifically talks to people wanting to wear their natural hair or cultural styles, to allow them to display their authentic selves.

For anecdotal evidence, I have a friend who never wears a helmet except at shows, purely because of her natural hair. This is not ok.

6 Likes

So are you saying the industry needs to find a way to cram some 70s Afro up in a helmet?
Look at the football players , somehow they manage to have all kinds of dreds and whatever.
They wear those things made out of what Sleazies are made of on their head under the helmets so the dreds don’t frizz.

1 Like

Well if she’s compromising protecting her brain over her hair that says a lot.
Like I just posted use those things the football players use under their helmets to protect their hair .

2 Likes

I’m saying the industry, the people in it, need to not just be automatically dismissive to BIPOC members, consider how their words impact others, and display just an ounce of empathy, compassion and inclusive behaviour.

That’s what I’m saying.

15 Likes

Ok then what is the answer that what is currently on the market doesn’t cover?

Did you read the article? Or the article I linked to about the Sikh bike helmets? It’s obvious that there is something that could be done to accommodate riders, but it will take a forward thinking company who maybe will need to take a hit on research and development to address the needs of a few.

By asking what is not already on the market, after the article addresses that these equestrians were not having their needs met by what is on the market, you are dismissing their voice, and their experiences.

6 Likes

Oh God. Here we go again.
Yes I read the articles and the links.

So what is the answer?
How many posts and threads here on this very board have there been about how do I do my hair, I can’t get it in my helmet etc etc… from riders of all ethnic backgrounds and various hair types.
And tests have proven hair shouldn’t be in the helmet.
Many of us have to modify our hair style to get a helmet to fit properly and do its job.

3 Likes

Well the most recent safety study debunked the hair is safer out of the helmet topic…so there goes that.

But for the rest, I’m not going to waste the rest of my beautiful afternoon trying to talk someone into changing their perceptions, or discussing privilege wheels, psychological safety, and equity. These are conversations best done in person with someone willing to listen, and being able to gage your audience. And yes - I do daily work in this realm, I’m not just spouting words.

7 Likes

We don’t need to discuss any of that. It’s already been done to death.
So now it’s ok to shove a bunch of hair up in a helmet and expect it to do its job as intended?

I believe she was referring to bandaids that match different skin colors. They have not been around for 65 years. It came up at an environmental justice meeting I attended about 10 years go.

5 Likes

Yeah I just Googled it. Bandaid did one in 2005, discontinued in 2008, and reintroduced them in 2020.

4 Likes

The issue is the “market” didn’t realize this was an issue and the dismissive attitude of BOT was just jaw dropping.

Obviously there are hairstyles that just won’t fly with helmets, but they can be made. Football proves that.

What I know from my friends is they are relegated to dial fit helmets. They have small heads so get away with a large. What’s crazy really is what is considered large, is a small in any other head gear category. Shocking really. For example, my helmet is a large, but my fitted baseball hats are smalls.

7 1/8 shouldn’t be a large

11 Likes

Yeah I think that’s what I wear too.