Unlimited access >

NY Times Article on HISA

Yes, I’ve seen a dozen different facebook fear mongering posts shared 100x, most recently by paranoid barrel racers who seem to think they are next to be “attacked by the gubmint.” My eyes hurt from rolling so much.

4 Likes

There are entire Facebook groups about HISA and it’s ills. I am a member of some of them and can’t believe my eyes most of the time.
One thing is for sure, racetrackers don’t like change. Never did, probably never will. Some people are lamenting not being able to use toe grabs anymore. I stopped using toe grabs in 2007 when research showed they definitely increased the risk of catastrophic breakdowns. I did not wait a decade plus for them to be banned to change my ways. When he know better we are supposed to do better.

2 Likes

I don’t think records will necessarily be available to purchasers once the horse retires from racing. HISA is pretty much not involved any longer at that point

But that sort of record-keeping will now exist and I do think some trainers and connections will endeavor to make them available.

They could do that now if they wanted to. A few clicks of the vet’s computer and you will have everything. I don’t see anyone doing anything like that