Unlimited access >

Official Photographer Business Model

Curious question, not specifically for the OP because clearly her thought on this is obvious.

Are people really into having slow motion video clips of just a small portion of their round?

I have not seen anyone I know post anything like that, that is why I am asking.

It’s a bit of a sore spot for me :sweat_smile: For a while there I was trying to advertise all these people’s six-figure horses with blotchy fuzzy ill-timed crap Little Susie took. Maddening!

2 Likes

It’s a tough business for sure.That’s why I’m wondering about the cell phones and if the shows will start having a no cell phone policy. Actually, I think the cell phones probably compete more with videography.

You can set youtube videos to super slow (or super fast) motion, so if I ever feel like I want to slow mo to see what I need to improve on that is the way I’ll go. I can handle slow mo for maybe 1-5 seconds before going back to normal speed. It just isn’t my thing and doesn’t hold my attention. I like real time and hearing actual horse noises vs music. I can understand the artsyness of this, but it isn’t something I’d be in the market for (regardless of if it is my horse, me riding, or someone else).

I have a friend who does photography at local shows and has a contract with the show that they will be the only one allowed to sell their photos. There are no rules on if parents or friends can use cell phones for videos/photos, but there is a rule that nobody else can sell their photos/videos. She puts a little banner in the show office that has links to her social media so people can see examples and I think for what you are wanting to do you definitely want people to see the product. Have you tried offering your services on a more local/schooling show basis to see if the idea would take off?

1 Like

Best idea ever!!! Thank you!!! I’m new to the game, so I appreciate it.

Out here the big shows have an official photographer (OP) as well as private client photographers (PP), all of whom pay a vendor fee to the show.

The PP have to have a client list to the show before it starts. The PP do ring shots plus candids plus videos. Here’s the IG of one such person - https://instagram.com/lindseylongequine?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Some of the shows charge a $125 media fee that often enables you to download lo res images at no additional cost. Sometimes that fee is supposed to include video, but downloads generally cost extra.

As a decent photographer with a good camera I’ve almost stopped trying to photograph at shows, even candids, and mostly all I ever did was friends. Sometimes I shoot others for practice, but those get evaluated and deleted. Some of the OP are gracious about seeing others taking photos. It seems to help if you’re dressed to ride. Technically, if it’s a public space and you’re not making money, you’re allowed to photograph.

2 Likes

Beautiful work!

I know you weren’t specifically asking me, but I am not sure if there is a market for it, but I have seen a lot of slow motion clips on social media, mainly just over one jump. I think it could be used to post on social media as a reel since a film of the entire round would be too long to post as a reel.

We have a videographer here locally that goes around to different barns and takes similar slo-mo videos of regular lessons - and the teenagers at my barn LOVE it - they dress up in their color coordinated sets and get more “do-overs” than a show if something in the round doesn’t turn out right the first time…they share them constantly on instagram. Maybe this would be good for you to get around the whole official show photographer thing?

2 Likes

This sounds like a good idea. The other thing is, if you’re shooting with a cell phone (it sounds like that’s your plan?) then you need to be inside the ring (and basically right under a jump) to get anything remarkable, which will not be allowed at shows. And even the best HD quality cell phones suck at filming anything on the far side of the ring because the zoom is so clunky & unstable.

I’m not shooting with a cell phone for the slow-motion videos. I do have a mirrorless camera with a zoom, but I still find with slow-motion, it would be way too long to record the whole round, so I just select one or two lines in the round.

Slow-motion doesn’t lie. That’s for sure! haha. I agree that there is a demand for short excerpts of slow-motion. I’m just wondering if it would be better to just sell unedited clips or do the editing with special effects, backgrounds, overlays. It might be useful in the eq team recruiting video, thanks

Oh, it sure can lie. It can disguise a hunter that’s too quick in the air. It can hide tension. It cannot show if your eq rider is a passenger who poses well or if she’s got good feel. I think one clip I watched on your YouTube probably looked way worse than if it had been shot from a more traditional angle in real time (rider not supporting well, horse weak off the ground and didn’t jump great and it was pretty cringy in slow mo, probably average to slightly below average score in real time a little more head on or lateral).

If anyone on a recruiting committee or anyone shopping for a horse can’t evaluate what’s happening in a real time video, a slow mo video isn’t going to help them get an honest picture of ability. Might as well never show the horse cantering away through the corner (which a lot of people cut off and is a red flag in a sales video).

Part of what one pays for in a trainer is their eye, right? I think these videos could be fun and sure some of them are artistically done and nice to watch in a social media reel. But that’s about it.

4 Likes