Unlimited access >

Ok leather snobs: surcingle?

That’s how they are supposed to be used not over the withers. They should be used with a crupper as well to keep from sliding forward.
Go to the saddle part: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4KagTs0Es

If you notice high end driving horses it is further back than many of these pictures show.

Fennel’s makes a nice one as well but Freedmans leather quality is better.
https://www.fennells.com/fennells-leather-bitting-rig.html

Freedmans

2 Likes

As someone who owns the Biothane version of this same saddle, this is the first thing that popped into my head!

Not all driving saddles are made equal, as not all have that clearance over the spine, however, the IVC one does. It fits over my mares back like a glove, actually! With something like this, either the terrets or tugs can be used to run the long lines through.

1 Like

Using the surcingle over a saddle would provide wither clearance. You can use the inexpensive nylon ones with fleece this way–they work fine over a saddle–lightweight and the fleece protects the saddle leather.

I had a Tory surcingle a while back and it was very nice–good quality leather made in the USA.

1 Like

It does depend on your saddle and what you intend to do. My saddle has larger external blocks and I lunge with Lauffer reins, so the blocks would be in the way and potentially get worn over time. Also a surcingle with a built in girth may or may not be long enough if your horse is large as well.

This one can be used on any size horse because you buy the right size western cinch and adjust it that way. That’s what my extra surcingle is, and it works great.

https://www.sstack.com/premier-fits-all-surcingle/p/20091/

1 Like

Love this one!

Thanks to everyone for an interesting discussion!

A friend who does a lot of long lining recommended the sstack premier surcingle, and if I were running a training operation I might consider the universal fit one, but I’m not fussing with that - it’s too cold, I’m too lazy, and I only need to fit one horse.

The Bennett one looks beautiful but I’m not sure I’m ready to shell out almost 1K for it - didn’t know I had a limit; turns out I do! LOL

The Freedmans though is a thought… May have to order it and the sstack and compare them. (boo - regroup - the Freedmans is sold out. :frowning: )

I have a beautiful black sheepskin pad that is made for my surcingle. I recommend one, as it keeps pressure off of the withers, and generally makes the whole thing more comfy.

My working surcingle was made by the Amish, and is in great shape 15 plus years later. I bought it at Village Harness in Ronks, PA.

2 Likes

Of all the surcingles Schneiders carries, I have two: the one I posted above with the highly adjustable western girth that I used before I retired from training for the public, and the one I use now on my own horses, the Victor/LaCroix surcingle with the plain girth (link below). The leather and quality on the Victor is very. very nice…softer and overall just better. For $300, it is a good buy, at least in my opinion.

The edges on the Victor are actually finished! Thanks for the tip: I hadn’t even looked at it, thinking that the additional $$ were just for the name (a trainer, I assumed).

1 Like

Everything is better on the Victor. The padding is soft and all the leather is far superior to the lesser models. I love mine!