Unlimited access >

Oncept Melanoma Vaccine - for grey horses with melanoma

I too own three greys :slight_smile: but Greyā€™s are rather beautiful :slight_smile: :slight_smile: so far Iā€™m seeing a reduction in the Parotid tumor only, although very early days. This is also a recent tumor but none the less is big. The others;crest and dock are static at the moment. I guess as the antibodies build against the vaccine hopefully should start seeing more change. I would hope so as a reduction in one means the vaccine is taking affect. I had asked my vet is it possible for a melanoma to disappear on its own? she said no they normally stay the same or get bigger. The only difference is Oncept so does prove it does build antibodies. The correlations with reduction and efficacy may be attributed to catching the tumor early? But seeing a reduction this early is of course very good news so far!

I was speaking with a friend who had a broodmare of around 20. She had the same tumor as Holly but far worse. It was bulging out about 4 inches from the head and wrapt up to the poll then all the way to the throat. She said it didnt look pretty. She had another melanoma abcess and burst out the neck. She had some also in tail/dock area. The decision was made to put her to sleep when the lumps grew worse over the head area. But an autopsy was done. Interestingly enough all the tumors were localised and nothing was found in the body or organs.

Third vaccination done! We are now at the 4 week mark. Jefferyā€™s research on Oncept shows that between day 56 and 86 a profound immune response can be detected, meaning antibodies have built to a high level. Promising as we have seen a slight reduction already between 15 and 30 days which means antibodies are already beginning to fight the tumor!

The Parotid is the most recent of her tumors and most active so very pleased to see a slight reduction this early.

The vet wasnā€™t worried about the raised lymph nodes. Itā€™s become much cooler quickly so may be the immune system fighting off any number of viruses. But i do wonder it the Oncept is doing this? As its role is to switch on the immune system and as the tumor is closest to the throat lymph nodes? Just an observation.

Holly is now quite fluffy around her head. So this weekend I plan to shave the tumor site and have a really good look and super accurate measure. Will post photos then. She is well and happy in all other respects.

It all looks great! Canā€™t wait for new measurements!

Mr Ay-rab goes to OSU for his next injection a week from tomorrow - will report back then!

1 Like

I shaved Hollyā€™s tumor site as she is fairly fluffy. Although the tumor is hard and defined. Anyhow good news we are heading the right way! Todayā€™s measurements 65 mm length x 55 mm width. It is shrinking from the outer edges inward. So happy and relieved! The other tumors appear unchanged. I wonder if catching the Parotid tumor early has helped? But pleased to report we have seen quite a dramatic shrinkage from our first measure which was 91.5 mm length x 64 width just prior to starting Oncept! Wonderful news so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

The best part of this is that the tumor that is the most concerning is the one thatā€™s responding. If the others just stay the same, youā€™ve got a big win. Yay!!!

1 Like

Got my vet bill today. Ouch!!! although it all feels worthwhile seeing the Parotid tumor shrinking. I thought it looked much smaller again this morning ! So will measure again on weekend. I am feeling positive about the vaccine seeing real shrinkage. Fingers crossed that this continues!

1 Like

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. I have been weighing the benefit/cost ratio for this vaccine, and am now leaning towards the benefit.

Iā€™m in the same boat! Just asked the vet today about Oncept when she was out for spring vaccines.

Can anyone in the US share some solid figures about what this costs (or point me to where thatā€™s been shared, if Iā€™ve missed it?) Sevenā€™s got a tumor that is likely a melanoma on the inside of her thighā€¦itā€™s getting large enough where it would be smart to remove, and I think Iā€™d rather put that $$ toward this, instead.

I could share with you what I pay per injection but I donā€™t know how representative it is for the US. Now that vets in private practice can administer it, they are free to charge what they think is a going rate.

So! Call both your local vet and your local vet school and get a price.

I will say I pay less than Holly01 for an exam & the injection.

ETA: $3000 New Zealand dollars = about $2200 US dollars. Assuming that is for the medication only, I do pay less than Holly01 as I suspected. But it is not radically cheaper. This is from the local vet school.

I am up to $4,300 NZ which includes vaccine and vet call out fees/mileage to administer. Keep in mind iā€™m on the other side of the world :slight_smile: so my costs may be higher !

According to top equine oncologists the best way to still deal with a melanoma is removal by surgery and/or removal then follow on with the Oncept vaccine. This has shown to be very successful in the Oncept trials where the tumor has been debulked or removed never returning. Although some areas of the body such as Hollyā€™s face where the parotid tumor is represents a high risk of major haemorrhage, facial paralysis and just not able to surgically remove with wide enough margins. Therefore, my options are really Oncept vaccine or nothing :frowning:

Itā€™s not a nice position to be in and it is very costly. So far Iā€™m seeing significant reduction in the Parotid tumor in a short space of time, which is really quite remarkable !

My vet is impressed this early on and advised sometimes it can take a few months to see changes.
As Holly builds more antibodies to the vaccine her response will also improve, so with time I may well see changes in the other tumors too.

Iā€™m still working on getting these for my horse, it is very difficult to find vets willing and able to do this at least in my area (NC/SC border). My two quotes range from $3,000 - $4,000 for the four loading doses and including all associated fees with a small animal vet being the more expensive. And yes, small animal vets are able to administer the vaccine to equine if theyā€™re willing.

Feel free to PM me for a more thorough cost breakdown, but as everyone has reiterated, it is expensive. I donā€™t however think itā€™s so much as to dissuade me from doing them and giving my horse the best possible chance at a long and healthy life.

Lovely to hear that the vaccine is working so well for Holly thus far! Keep sharing your success, it gives the rest of us grey horse owners hope! :slight_smile:

4 th vaccination tomorrow! Then we have completed the set of 4! which makes us at the 6 week mark. Results so far; no change in dock or crest melanomas but a decrease in the parotid tumor by 30% in length, and approx 15% in width. Depth not measured but looks flatter. Will measure again this coming weekend.

2 Likes

So glad to hear those statistics! When will the next injection be? 3 months or 6 months?

Good vibes from your friends in the US of A!

Haha thanks :slight_smile: I think the next one is a 6 month booster. I will need to confirm with the vet. Itā€™s exciting but equally frustrating! I guess now its time dependent to really watch and see what happens with my little white pony :slight_smile:

@Holly01 - thinking of you! Any updates?

I updated my Oncept thread with two recent events, both positive.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=oldernewbie;n10117469]
@Holly01 - thinking of you! Any updates?

I updated my Oncept thread with two recent events, both positive.

Oh must have a look at your thread :wink: Holly is full of energy, alert with ears pricked and feels great to ride ! so i take it she feels very well !

Once again she is fluffy ! I am having her clipped out so will re-measure. Looking at the parotid and a quick visual iā€™d say static a the mo. But always like to measure to be sure ! Will post shortly the dimensions and compare to last measure.

1 Like

Just came back for some Holly updates, and was happy to read about Oldernewbieā€™s good news too! My horse is starting the Oncept loading doses at Tryon at the end of the month. Rather than start a new thread Iā€™d love to keep some updates here going on him too. Fingers crossed for success too, you guys give me hope that Iā€™ll get these under control before they get worse!

1 Like