Unlimited access >

Opinion Piece About American TB's in Eventing

Fewer TBs are being produced each year. The 2020 projected foal crop is 18,950. Ten years ago it was 25,995. 15 years ago it was 35,050.

Maybe 19,000 horses is still too many for you…but it’s a lot less than what it used to be.

And when there are limited racehorses available, some trainers will push an older horse on a bit longer.

As OTTB prospects, we all want them as sound 4-5yos. That is less likely to happen if there are drastically fewer horses at the tracks…tracks still need starters, and those “less competitive” horses will remain in the races instead of retiring young and sound.

http://www.jockeyclub.com/default.asp?section=FB&area=2

10 Likes

Sorry I don’t buy that logic. The horses that have more starts are the ones that are good at their jobs. That’s going to be the case if there’s 5000 horses born a year or 45000. More TBs born per doesn’t equal a lower dispersal of starts per horse.

1 Like

Most racehorses that are best at their jobs retire to the breeding shed before age 6 or 7.

There are a lot of runners at Presque Isle, Charles Town, Penn, Mahoning, and Finger Lakes that are over 5yo (8yos are not uncommon in low claimers) and earn less than $1000 per start. That is not a “good” racehorse, but it fills the card and keeps stalls for a trainer’s better horses that may run less frequently. (At many tracks, stalls are free but allocated to certain number of runners/starters…some trainers keep a sound older claimer who can run every 10-14 days, even if it finishes 5th, 6th, 7th for $600, so an allowance horse can run every 4-6 weeks.)

I galloped racehorses for 3 winters here in FL, for a trainer who ran at Presque Isle in summer. Most of her horses were 5yo and up. Lots of 7, 8yos. Two were 10yo. Out of 20 horses each season, I would consider about 4 of them “decent” in claiming/starter company. The rest were mostly just there to show up and get a $600 check, and on a lucky day get in the money. But running 10 horses a week, earning $500 each minimum, that’s enough to keep her stable afloat (with her style of management).

She is not the only trainer who plays the game this way, with older starters that you could argue should be retired before their ankles look like softballs. If it becomes more difficult (expensive, due to less supply) to acquire new young horses, those older creaky campaigners will keep on running until there is no useful post-racing career remaining. It already happens now, and I don’t see a 5000 size foal crop improving that issue.

7 Likes

I still don’t see how any of that justifies the excess number of TBs bred per year. I’m glad less foals are born now than 20 years ago and it I really hope that continues.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the number of horses being bred but I can speak to looking at quite literally thousands of TB ads over the last 10-ish years. In my uneducated, ammy opinion the breeding for race horses has turned to having an eye for future sport horse prospects. Most horses are level to up hill, the backs are shorter and the pasterns are not quite as upright and long as a decade ago. Even horses out of smaller, backwater tracks are generally pretty darn nice. You will still find horses with a less sporty confirmation, however you may find those in any breed.

I think it’s pretty telling that most sport breed registries allow TB cross breeds to be registered. And/or TB to be approved as breeding stock. Yes, it could be because there are so darn many of them or it could be because the horses are bred to be sporty and overall sound. KS is definitely a consern. So is the numerous genetic diseases in QH and QH offshoot breds or the dropping pastern (sorry I know it is DSL-something or other) disease of many WB for example.

All of my TB’s have been called other breeds by casual observers. WB’s for the first two and QH (until he trots off) for the current one.

I recent had a conversation with a lady and her husband who trailered in to at my barn. They came over to chat right after I got on and when I told them the horse I was sitting on was a 6 yo OTTB she couldn’t believe it. In her opinion all OTTBs were wild and uncontrollable. My guy slowly dozing off clearly didn’t fit that mold. Well than clearly he was a dead head and wouldn’t be a good eventer. Nope. This horse is learning to be a cross country machine and can put on the after burners. The point of this story is people perceive TBs as a cheap, “lower quality”, and bred to only run breed. Most people reading this thread know that’s wrong. But we aren’t the target market of that article.

12 Likes

The number I saw was between 100,000 to 80,000 (2018) horses go to slaughter with about 7500 being thoroughbreds,.too many for sure but not 20 percent.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/just-how-many-horses-leave-the-u-s-bound-for-slaughter/

https://hsvma.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1135:horses-go-from-racetracks-to-slaughter&catid=29:reading&Itemid=119

2 Likes

That 7500 number is an estimation… not data and the person doing the estimating is also the president of the national thoroughbred racing association.

1 Like

Back when @gumtree was around, he made a point that really stuck with me: water seeks water.

The number of TBs being bred each year is dictated by the demand.

In 2019, over 36,000 races were run, with an average of 7.5 horses per race and an average of 6 starts a year for every runner.

That’s why there are so many TBs out there.

If you breed less horses, you are still going to have roughly the same percentage of “culls” who never make it to the track for horsey reasons like injuries and illness. Tightening breeding practices might slightly reduce those culls, but breeding TBs is expensive. If a horse can run, it usually does (with a few exceptions, like extraordinarily valuable fillies who would only be successful at claiming conditions lower than the value of their pedigree).

If you breed less horses just for the sake of breeding less horses, many race tracks will be forced to close because they will not be able to fill their races at a level to interest bettors. If those tracks close, breeding will further be reduced.

Eventually, you are only going to be left with the elite breeders and elite race horses. Which may sound good in theory, but it comes with its own complications for the future of the OTTB.

The biggest problem I foresee is the loss of genetic diversity: just look at places like Australia, which has a much smaller TB industry than our own. It is the norm to see modern AUS racehorses with four or more crosses to Northern Dancer through his son Danehill, because people will breed to what is successful and what is winning races at the top levels. What is winning races often is drastically different than what sporthorse people seek.

“Cheap” state breeding programs in the US have often been the source of what many would consider “over breeding,” yet these state breeding programs have also preserved a lot of durable (yet slower) horses with sport-friendly bloodlines. These bloodlines persist at the state level and occasionally get reintroduced into the top levels of the sport when an exceptional individual crops up (Tiznow would be a good example).

It’s a complex problem without an easy solution. The most important thing to remember is that racing is a multi-billion dollar industry; show horses pale in comparison to how much revenue racing generates. It’s easy to say racing should do XYZ because that is what works for sport horses, but there are massive economic forces driving racing decisions. I’m not saying that to excuse racing from responsibility to their animals, just to point out that people aren’t just doing this as a hobby. We have access to relatively cheap OTTBs that can still reach the highest levels of sport because of the current racing industry. That would not be true if we simply bred less horses.

21 Likes

Yes but they’re only in demand for the first 5 Or 6 years of their life. I’m sorry I just don’t agree that it’s ethical to breed that many horses per year when there’s not enough jobs for them post track career. And if they really need that many horses to fill tracks and fill races than perhaps there should be less tracks and less races. I know that sounds radical and I’m probably about to get mocked on here for being a tree hugger but I just don’t see how its ok for one industry to dump that many unwanted horses into the market when knowing the post racing career market can’t keep up. Horses don’t need to go to slaughter for an industry to survive especially when that industry makes more money than every other horse related industry combined.

5 Likes

It sounds like you disagree with the entire industry. Of course you can feel that way, and without anyone calling you pejoratives.

But just remember, that also means no more TB.

I will ask what is your actual firsthand experience with the racing industry? Because it sounds like your perspective is limited to aftercare/slaughter. The latter of which has been steadily decreasing in the thoroughbred industry.

Also, do you have a statistic on this:

The US horse industry in total has been estimated to generate $102B to the economy. (source)

Seeing how there is no US slaughter of horses, I don’t see how that could make more money for our economy than every other horse related industry combined. I don’t know what the countries we export horses to for slaughter make off of our product, but I find it hard to believe it exceeds $102B. But I’d love to see that statistic to correct my thinking!

1 Like

Not only this, but (with the preface that I am not nearly nearly as informed about the TB industry as @Texarkana and other posters), I suspect that we show/pleasure horse owners benefit tremendously from its demand for and funding of veterinary research/education, vet hospitals themselves, nutrition research, horseshoeing supplies, tack, general horse care products, etc. Right?

25 Likes

Horses racing in the UK and Ireland are each allocated a rating after 2 runs. These ratings are then used to place horses in appropriate races so that they run within their handicap, against others of a similar class, and still provide racing that is competitive and interesting to watch. If they are good, they can progress upwards and “beat the handicap”, gradually carrying more weight, or carry less if their performance is falling off. One skill of a trainer is finding the best race for a particular animal. The very best run at “weight for age” in the group and pattern races. This is all designed to ensure there are sufficient animals to race 364 days a year, on a multitude of racecourses. It ain’t perfect but we have horses running, from sprinters to stayers, and winning at surprising ages.

5000 TB foals per year in the UK, 63,000 runners and 202 deaths in 2019, a slight increase in an otherwise downward trend. The BHB publishes data annually.

Each course is different and puts different pressure on the horses. And we also have jump racing that demands a robust, tough horse. Many are former flat racers and jumpers continue into their teens.

3 Likes

And your data was from what? A paper you did years ago?

2 Likes

Just to add, overbreeding is not the same as having horses whose use for which they have been bred-expires -due to unsoundness, age, etc. etc. The latter issue is of concern of course, but not exactly the same as overbreeding. I suspect more effort is being made not to have thoroughbreds go to slaughter which has reduced the number. Not perfect but at least going in the right direction. The whole horse industry has this problem as what to do with horses that are no longer useable. Not everyone can keep a horse 20 or 30 years.

4 Likes

I think the poster you quoted was trying to say that the racing industry generates more income than all other horse industries and that it was a shame that they (the racing industry) was not able to protect their horses from slaughter.

I’m not trying to defend or attack any position here, just pointing out how I interpreted the quoted poster.

6 Likes

Oh! That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying for me. I completely see that now.

3 Likes

To have an accurate breakout by breed of animals going to slaughter, they’d all have to get there with their papers.

…which is an absolutely ludicrous idea. Horses aren’t shipping to slaughter with their papers.

With no slaughter in her US, you’d be depending on the Canadian and Mexican slaughter plants to accurately report what’s coming through their doors, or on the shippers to report before they ship.

I can assure you 100% that even if either of those entities is reporting anything re: breed of horse, it’s a wild assed guess and doesn’t reflect reality in the least.

2 Likes

I finally read the article and it seemed to me to be more about how much better the UK is than the US. Using old data is as disingenuous as the pictures the author chose.

It’s fine to not like the racing industry but it’s not fine to misrepresent it, nor is it fine (IMO) to whine about the plight of TBs while refusing to get one due to perceived resale value or whatever other hang up one might have about the breed.

My horse is mistaken for a warmblood all the time. I am not worried about her resale since any horse can be moved for the right price. People also don’t necessarily know what they are looking at when a horse isn’t perfectly groomed and muscled up.

One comment on the Facebook thread really stuck out to me. It pointed out most people don’t need nor do they want a Grand Prix horse or a 5* horse.

11 Likes

Ding, ding, ding. Not that I’m going to lie or misrepresent my horse when it comes time to sell her, but I hope that will be able to stand for what she is, regardless of breed. Also: this is why I felt confident about my entire program, as my trainer sells A LOT of horses at a high level. If she’s what someone’s shopping for, I trust him to present her the same way he would a Dutch horse or a German horse or what have you.

9 Likes

I’m honestly proud to say no, an OTTB. Lol. And if people looked at TBs objectively instead of what’s popular, the racing industry provides a great opportunity to own amazing horses. I personally do not have the money to breed the horse I have.

Is she going to be the next best thing? No. She is the best thing for what she does and why I purchased her. I don’t really agree with adding zeros due to popularity of perceived breed. At the end of the day, selling one’s personal mount is always at a loss. When the random ammy owner speaks about how marketable their horse is, well, they will be taking a loss regardless. Then again I am the person that will slash the price just because I found the perfect buyer.

5 Likes