Orthotics, anyone?

[QUOTE=Pocket Pony;8326385]
Coming back to say my problem is under-pronation vs. over-pronation, so I don’t know that the Vionic shoes would be right for me??[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I do not know. My chiro highly recommends these shoes. He then takes the insert out of the shoe and adds however much padding (not really the right word- adds something) to the specific location on the bottom of the insert to correct my over-pronation. Each of my feet are different so the amount he adds differs.

Those of you who have the custom orthotics, do you move them around between different shoes or do you just (ahem) pony up for separate pairs for each regularly used footwear? Or do you have the custom ones in the most commonly used shoe and others in other shoes?

When I was trying customs, I only had one pair and yes you have to shuttle them between shoes. IF either set of them had worked and been comfortable, I would have ponied up for one more pair ($3-400). I hate having to grab 2 pair of shoes when I get ready to leave the house. I have about 3 pair of everyday shoes then there is the barn boots (paddocks). It can be done but I am always procrastinating getting ready and it really throws a curve in the process:uhoh:. Currently, I have helped my problem with heel wedges. $7 each from Amazon (last order I ordered 4 and got 5!..bonus) so, yes over the last couple years I have accumulated 4 pair and no need to play shoe musical chairs.

Susan

[QUOTE=poltroon;8353385]
Those of you who have the custom orthotics, do you move them around between different shoes or do you just (ahem) pony up for separate pairs for each regularly used footwear? Or do you have the custom ones in the most commonly used shoe and others in other shoes?[/QUOTE]

I have one pair that I put in several different pairs of shoes. They were about $400, so I can’t bring myself to pay for another pair when I can just move the pair I have. They are truly lifesavers.

(Right foot crush injury, ~30 fractures between my lower tibia and metatarsals, and lisfranc ligament tear. Was non weight-bearing for 80 days, partial weight-bearing three months after that. Can function fairly normally with orthodics.)

[QUOTE=poltroon;8353385]
Those of you who have the custom orthotics, do you move them around between different shoes or do you just (ahem) pony up for separate pairs for each regularly used footwear? Or do you have the custom ones in the most commonly used shoe and others in other shoes?[/QUOTE]

I have one pair of orthotics which I put in whatever shoes I’m wearing. This usually means my orthotics get moved twice a day (barn boots to work shoes to barn boots).

Here is my crazy idea of the day. I have some clean wool (we have sheep) and I am stuffing it under an off the shelf rubber insole to make the fit better… just like a saddle.

If it works…:). I feel like I need a lateral heel extension on my shoes. On the sole, not inside. Maybe I really need a farrier?

I have tendonitis in my peroneal tendons on the left. It finally occurred to me that if the armband thingy works for elbow tendonitis, why couldn’t that help for my foot. I tried it (did clear it with the doc in case doing that would compromise something else and it does help. Sometimes we need to Macgyver things for ourselves.

Let us know it it works.

Susan