Unlimited access >

Osteoporosis treatment--what are you taking?

My ancestors were Russian peasants. We have big bones. Plus I was a dancer in my teens, which helped lay down good bone. I wish my daughter had inherited my bone structure. She is a touch shorter than me (we are both very short) and she has very fine bones. She does a lot of weight bearing exercise, and I hope she stays with it into middle age and beyond.

Rebecca

2 Likes

I have just moved from osteopenia to osteoporosis this year. I’ve been taking calcium and D for years, holding it at bay pretty well. I get lots of exercise/weight lifting/pounding (walking/running). I’m only 55, so doctors and I discussed adding medication and I went with Reclast (yearly infusion) (zoledronic acid). I had a bit of a reaction-- small fever, body aches-- but they only lasted a few hours. Been good to go ever since. Sounds like I was lucky!

My grandmother and mother both had hip fractures from osteoporosis. Both were smokers, no exercise, no preventative care, etc. I’ve worked my whole life to not be like them, to fight my genetics with everything out there. Fingers crossed!

6 Likes

I am petite, fine-boned, age 72. I have been on Prolia three years. No side effects. It has helped slow the loss of bone density. I have been on various medications and also had a parathyroid gland removed 10 years ago that was contributing to the problem. I took Fosomax at first and then nothing for some time. I did quit riding last year after a fall resulted in a broken shoulder and surgery. I am in good health and play a lot of golf. The Prolia has helped me.

1 Like

I tipped over into osteoporosis about 4 years ago at age 65. I took fosomax for a couple of years with no major problems. My bone density increased to right on the edge of osteopenia.
Then I had breast cancer. I was put on Tamoxifen which helps with osteoporosis. Stopped Fosomax. Doing okay on Tamoxifen with minimal side effects(have some facial muscle twitching which may be related). Will see on next scan in a few months how bones are doing.

1 Like