Unlimited access >

Osteosarcoma decisions. When to say goodbye?

She is still hanging in here. She’s on gabapentin and meloxicam. She’s relatively sound on those meds and is still enjoying short walks, car rides, etc. Appetite is pretty good, too. I guess the universe is giving me a little more time. I’m going to try CBD oil and just see. Can’t hurt anything. But the minute she can’t do the things that bring her joy, that’s it. I’m not going to prolong her suffering.

I joined a “dogs with bone cancer support group” on Facebook. It’s shocking to me what people will put their dogs through. Some of these dogs are literally on 10 different meds, oils, herbs, chemo, etc. And they are three-legged lame. What is the point of this? Why would you want to keep your beloved animal alive if it’s in chronic pain? That’s not love.

5 Likes

It amazes me as well.

I had a cat that developed wet FIP and went badly downhill within a day or two. The vet actually suggested that instead of putting Pumpkin to sleep, which is what I requested after hearing the diagnosis, I could bring him in every day or two and have them draw the fluid of out his chest cavity with a large-gauge needle? I mean, WTF? Who would do that to an animal?

4 Likes

Sadly, lots of people. They forgot it’s not about them and their glory but it’s about the animal and their life.

1 Like

My husband and I decided to go with amputation when one of our Curly Coated Retrievers was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. She broke her leg and that’s when we got the diagnosis. She lived exactly six months pain-free and was retrieving the night before we had to put her to sleep. The cancer spread very fast.

Looking back, we decided we would not do that again. I’m so sorry you are dealing with this and your decision is very humane. Spoil her and know you gave her a good life.

6 Likes

I see people talking about doing this with chickens when they have ascites and just shake my head. Why prolong it?

1 Like

It’s really hard to be a bystander. My mother in law has a morbidly obese large (130+lb) dog was just diagnosed with aggressive bone cancer wrapping around his elbow about 2 weeks ago. He’s on a ton of pain meds and barely able to hobble outside a few times a day. She’s nowhere near ready to let him go and has gone to at least 5 vets, none will amputate there’s no way his other leg could take the weight. One gave her chemo but his referral for radiation didn’t pan out. She’s more focused on finding a sling that fits then seeing the amount of pain he’s in. I would have said goodbye 2 weeks ago