Unlimited access >

Ovation or KL Select- another bridle thread

Thanks! Lol, I have a bit of a tack obsession and I have several saved searches on eBay (where I’ve found most of these), and have found a few good deals on Maryland Saddlery’s website as well. They seem to have good prices on a lot of their stuff.

That’s a steal for a Voltaire girth! I found mine on eBay for $250 and thought that was a good price, but $95 is amazing!

1 Like

I was in shock. I also got the most wonderful stirrup leather for $15 new. They are super heavy duty any nylon lined but don’t feel bulky at all. They’re Nunn Finers but the seller didn’t see the stamp. They are so soft. https://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-Nylon-Center-Leathers-p/410-420-430-440.htm

1 Like

If you like Northrun, here’s a brand new stunning figure eight for $48!!! https://www.gasshorsesupply.com/northrun-english-bridle-with-figure-eight-flash-ov.html

1 Like

Ooh, thanks!

That’s awesome about the stirrup leathers, too! I will have to look into those the next time I shop for stirrup leathers, as I love my Ovation lined leathers (which will be 7 years old this year and are still in excellent shape), but I don’t think the type I have is available anymore.

They are so sturdy. I’ve had them three years and I could sell them as new :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not a fan of the Pure Harmony, I sent mine back. The Ovation (that I had, with the padded crown an the wide Derby style noseband) was super nice but very dark oil. For mid-range Derby bridles I would say that’s my favorite, and it comes with reins! Bonus :wink:

I would always say, if you’re not in a rush, join a bunch of the Facebook groups and sort through them or make an ISO post. I am sure you could find an old Edgewood or Beval, or if you just need the noseband, Edgewood always lets you oil to the color you want. Look on eBay too there should be plenty of them on there for a reasonable price. No need to replace the whole bridle that way!

1 Like

I purchased this bridle, I really liked the quality. It has Sedgewick leather

https://www.sstack.com/joseph-sterling-hartford-hunter-bridle/p/37512/

Same bridle, lower quality leather

https://www.sstack.com/pinnacle-hartford-hunter-bridle/p/37513/

I also have this bridle, there is a clear quality different but it looks the part

On a sidenote, you can’t be eliminated for your figure 8, although it is “unconventional” and might effect your placing.

1 Like

I’m surprised you didn’t love your pure harmony. I talked to the owner extensively when I bought mine. At first it was a bit stiff, but now I think it’s just wonderful. What was your issue?

Oh really? I thought you had to have a plain cavesson. Hm.

And girl, the amount of things I’ve purchased from ETT is embarrassing. Honestly, I partially wanted a new bridle because it’s just so satisfying to watch them break it. I have no problem with super dark oil because my havana black country is pretty much black now.

I was looking at the hartford the other day actually! My only reservation was the leather. A girl at by barn bought a JS halter and that sucker scratches so badly and will not be buffed out.

Just popping in to say I bought the KL Select Spruce bridle as a schooling bridle and I’m honestly super impressed with the quality for the price. It is as nice as my bridle that costs twice that? No. But is it still lovely? Certainly.

The leather is a bit plastic-looking at first, but a bit of oil softens it right up. I love mine and the customer service there is excellent should you need any different sizing!

Interesting, thanks!
I actually ended up buying a whole different bridle! I got the Nunn Finer Elena from Equlifestyle boutique for $120 instead of the MSRP of $160. I’ll post an update when I get it. I’m curious to see your bridle, though!

Update: The Elena came in and I’ve had it for a few weeks. It arrived quite stuff. After massaging it with passier lederbalsam it softened up nicely. It’s that weird color corrected finish, but it’s not bad. The padding is super luxurious and absorbs oil beautifully. I believe it is the same padding leather that they use for their high end Italian bridles. It is AMAZING. Super squishy yet durable feeling. The reins feel a bit slick, even though they are laced. I just wear gloves and they’re fine. The bridle definitely runs small. I bought the cob size and Sunny is close to the bottom holes. He’s usually closer to the top.

1 Like