parents with autistic child seeking riding program

My youngest just started therapuetic riding. She’s on the spectrum too. It took us awhile to get into the program and we got in because she was getting therapy at cardinal hill. If your friend’s kid is getting therapy at another place, they should ask them about the riding programs. If he gets pt, ot and st then he can do hippotherapy. If he’s like my daughter, just getting ot and st, then he can dot.r. it does cost some bit of money for the program though.

I think the insurance coverage may vary by state. I was given the option (and insurance would cover it if we went to a certified program) for my son with high functioning AS, and so far we have opted to just get him regular lessons. I’d love to have the free service but the closest certified place is over an hour away, so the convenience of a good lesson barn with safe schoolies close by took over. It helps that 2 of my own horses board there too so I’m there daily anyway! The idea of driving an extra hour in our busy lives just wasn’t worth the free program for us. He does have problems coping with frustration if a pony doesn’t mind him immediately, but has been able to MOSTLY control his anger. He loves riding so far. He’s 9, walks, trots, canters, and started jumping this summer. Even won some decent ribbons at a local show in WTC!

When he loses his cool he has to get someone to mind his pony, and walk away from the pony. That way he doesn’t do anything he’ll regret. So far this strategy is the only anger management strategy that works for him at all, whether it be people or ponies… or dogs… or things…