Unlimited access >

Passed PPE arrived deathly ill

I feel like I’ve heard of this happening in a big dollar value case but if you pressed me I can’t remember any details. So maybe I’m mis-remembering. I do feel like I remember a case where someone bought a horse and there was unintentional overlapping in coverage between the seller/buyer. I think it was a mortality issue though, not major medical. But maybe I am misremembering.

It must come up sometimes with stuff like Colicare where it overlaps with someone’s separately purchased coverage? Maybe?

Things like Colicare are usually supplemental. I’m not sure on the terms for it, but I did have to look into Platinum’s rules since if my horse had survived colic surgery it was going to be a really big bill. It would have kicked in after my MM/colic surgery limit was met. It’s not an either-or. Otherwise, why would anyone enroll in those programs if the horse was otherwise insurable? It’s because you can get maybe 5-10k coverage for mortality/MM with colic surgery endorsement and the bill could be upwards of double that if you have a complicated case. So you might need two sources of 10k coverage. I think overlapping rather than supplemental coverage could be a possibility say if horse is leased and there are separate policies rather than combined ones with multiple insured parties depending on who is responsible for what.

Here there doesn’t seem to be any fraud on the part of the buyer, but I could see the insurance company balking if there is potentially fraud on the part of the seller regarding a preexisting condition. And if horse was insured with seller maybe trying to get that company to pay for what appears to be a preexisting condition. But I think that would mean you would still have to have some cause of action against the seller. If OP is pursuing that on her own, if she does get the insurance to pay and also recovers from the seller, she would probably have to reimburse the insurance company. Same as if the insurance company took on the suit themselves–they would be looking to get reimbursed not pay the buyer more.

Update!!!

We settled out of court for a decent sum and I did keep her. She is growing like crazy now that she is well and is in-training. Her facial disfigurement has actually receded significantly after her last surgery. However, Texas A&M had a bomb threat while she was on the operating table and they were forced to leave her in recovery unattended while she woke from anesthesia. In the process, she broke another bone in her face and has a nice sized knot there.

This filly has been through hell and back. We’ve decided that we aren’t going to sell her (or compete) so she can live a comfortable life here at the farm.

47 Likes

Thank you for updating your story! I hope the rest of her journey is uneventful…

4 Likes

Wow, I would say this poor horse can’t catch a break…although she did find her way to someone who is taking wonderful care of her! Thank you for the update. I’m glad the horse is doing well and you even got some recompense from the seller or vet.

10 Likes

Jesus! This POOR mare can’t catch a break for anything!!’

3 Likes

Definitely post a few pics of the mare! Glad you were able to settle with the previous owners. What about the PPE vet?

1 Like

So glad to hear she’s well! And in such good hands! :grinning:

1 Like

Here are photos from the surgery where she broke another bone in her face due to the bomb threat.

6 Likes

The not where her noseband would rest is her “new” break

1 Like

Here she is at school. Due to her health as a young horse I have gone to great lengths to make sure she is with a trainer who is kind, firm, and goes slllloooowwww. Many people ask why I would invest to have her trained at this point. Well, she’s with me for life so I want her to be in a position where she can be handled by anyone at any time. While I don’t ever want her “quarter horse broke” I still would like her to have as many skills as possible.

One thing that amazes me is how her coat color when from jet black to this mousey bay. It flip flops so I attribute it to being sick for so long. Any thoughts?

Aspen has had SIX surgeries/procedures since January 2020.

6 Likes

She’s a beautiful horse and I am so happy that she’s landed with you.

3 Likes

A lot of dark horses will fade like that, and look especially light just before the coat changes (i.e. just before a shed starts). The new coat comes in dark, then fades as well. Some horses have genetic attributes that make them fade more than others, but generally, it is salt and sunshine that makes them fade more quickly. You can preserve coat colour by ensuring that sweat is always rinsed off and that horses get turned out either over night or with UV sheets when the sun is strongest. That being said, the fade is entirely cosmetic and not something to disrupt a horse’s routine over if it doesn’t bother you.

So glad she is on the mend and has a happy ending to her sad beginning.

2 Likes

She truly is a beauty

1 Like

stress, illness and fever will transform fur and hair. Sometimes it remains, other times after a full year cycle the color will return to normal… Fever coat in cats, fungal infection whiting are examples of these hair signs of disease.

She is lovely and I hope you find a way to enjoy that close connection in your time together

1 Like

I’m so glad I came to this thread and saw the good news. She’s a lovely lucky horse, and A&M is the best possible equine vet facility.

Poor honey waking up alone in a bomb scare, probably sirens or buzzers scaring the daylights out of her. Please give her a mint or treat for me!

And OP huge blessings on you for staying by her through all of this.

4 Likes

Coat fading is often due to a copper (especially) and zinc deficiency. Hoof quality is also affected. Check to make sure she’s getting at least 350mg of copper and 900mg of zinc daily. (I feed California Trace Plus with excellent results.)

She’s a beautiful girl and I’m so glad she’s yours.

3 Likes

@BalancingAct

Horses with a certain coat color will bleach like that in the summer, sometimes with balanced diets. Mine is one (analyzed and balanced diet) and another training horse with the same color is another. A third training mare came in with the same coat.

Your horse looks like the same type of brown bay. Black points of a bay that always stay black but a coat that gets what we call “mousey” in the summer. The whole coat would change if nutrient deficient. Sometimes, orange highlights in the mane and tail. My vet and other vets at the barn dismiss the vitamin/mineral deficiency hypothesis. Added Cu didn’t help my horse for 2 years. My friend at a neighboring barn had about 5 horses on Cu/Zn to stop summer bleaching…nope.

Now why is showing off the table for this horse?? Thank you for giving her such great chances in life and a life-long home.

2 Likes

Lucky horse to have found you. She is a gorgeous horse to look at in the pasture though. Good on you for making sure she is a pleasant horse to be around and setting her up for success.

2 Likes