Unlimited access >

Pelleted Bedding

I pay $6.99 plus tax for a 40# bag of pelleted pine animal bedding at TSC. The corn is like $11.99. I need to check out the stove pellets.

The straw boss is making straw pellets. I only just got to test them this summer but so far a big thumbs up from me. We use their chopped straw mainly and love it. Both as a bed and in speed of composting.

1 Like

The stove pellets can also have wood in there that you do not want, if I understand correctly. Like walnut.

That is why you have to get the soft wood pellets, not hard wood pellets.

Walnut is a hard wood.

I say this, but I always buy the bedding pellets.

2 Likes

Me too!

I honestly haven’t seen the soft wood pellets. I am sure that they could be an option, but I haven’t seen any- only the hardwood.

1 Like

I got so excited until this part:

“This product is sold in bulk or 1500 lb totes”

Not bagged? :sob:

I’ve gotten DEALS on softwood stove pellets by watching nextdoor or Facebook. People have to buy a pallet to try for their stove, wind up liking something better, and offload cheap. Yes, please, I’ll take those!

1 Like

I got 6 bags to test! I love it. So it might be coming on market soon? I’ve asked my feed store to bring it in and they are :slight_smile:

I imagine it may vary according to the area in which you live, but here in the Pacific Northwest, Douglas Fir is king, and pine from the other side of the Cascade Mtns isn’t far behind, so I don’t think we could get hardwood stove pellets if we wanted. I do make certain the labels says 100% fir or pine, but I’ve only seen one brand that didn’t say this. The way conifer wood burns, there is no need for additives with these pellets, but then again, I only buy those that specifically state no additives.

I’m another one who lets my horses “do the w atering.” My now senior gelding always loved getting a fresh bed of pellets, as he would drop and roll like a dog on a dead bird. Sadly, his asthma means no more pellet bedding for him, but his track is covered in fir needles on it, so he makes do with that. (Fortunately the needles don’t cause any flareups.)

2 Likes

Sorry for the Lazarus post…waking an old thread from the dead…