Unlimited access >

PEMF: Is it just snake oil? Yes or No: Back Pain Stories and Solutions--EPM, Neuro, Bone Chips in necks and more

I thought it was snake oil, but for a variety of reasons, wanted to support the provider, so I booked my horse a session.

I don’t think it did a damn thing for symptom relief. However, I did observe during the session that his muscles were engaging in different ways in response to the stimulation- not twitching, which the provider indeed said meant “too much for this area, needs turned down,” but his standing posture improved. Particularly, midway through and after the session, he engaged his abdominals and lifted his back, similar to how he would do so if working through from the hocks. He remained engaged in his core, but relaxed in his affect, for the remainder of the session. By contrast, he gets sick of me asking for belly lifts after about a minute.

I have a 26 year old semi-retired horse. He’s not working through from the hocks anymore :wink: so I was interested in whether PEMF was offering some benefit to him in activating the muscles to help him keep his baseline fitness. My husband came upon a study on this in humans while he was at work but I don’t have the citation handy.

OP, I think there are a lot more veterinary solutions available to help your horse, that have a lot more science behind them for their intended purpose, than this does. And comparatively, good diagnostics and targeted treatment will probably be cheaper over time than a bunch of these sessions. For what it’s worth, I don’t love stall rest for an SI issue, if that is the issue. I’d rather let the horse move around in a low-impact way so the rest of his tissues stay strong enough to support the SI in whatever your vet is doing to make it hurt less. However, I do think that a good veterinary chiropractor can make a lot of difference in these issues. Look for someone who pairs whatever adjustments they’re doing with suggestions for stretches or particular fitness work that you can do with the horse to help the muscles adjust and support the skeletal structure.

4 Likes

I was going to say the same; I went back to the OP after reading because I didn’t see that there was a vet involved yet and then saw one was set up.

It’s not useful to go into a vet visit “armed with treatments” when you don’t even have a diagnosis. What might look like an SI issue to a layperson may be entirely something else. So while it’s useful to have general knowledge about common injuries and treatments, it’s important to get a good workup and find out what’s really going on before going down rabbit holes.

There is so much going on in this thread it really could be anything, including rider error or lack of fitness by the horse. “Walk and trot seem fine, but canter is bad” does not scream back or saddle fit to me - obviously it could be, but I definitely would not jump to any conclusions at this point. It might be a lot of things…like stifles and/or hocks.

Get a lameness workup and let the vet recommend appropriate treatment.

6 Likes

Completely ancedotal -

I had a dog with with lung tumors and DM. We were not going to spend a fortune on a 12yo giant breed dog that was obviously well into the final months of his life. We had a suggestion from someone we trust when it comes to more homeopathic treatments and they had had positive results with PEMF. We bit the bullet and bought a small unit and it did seem to make him more comfortable for the last weeks of his life.

We have since used it a bit on ourselves - it seemed to really help a knee injury for my SO, and it has helped the inflammation in my lower back from RA. But I consulted quite a few people for the best settings/placement/time for effective treatment before using it at all. Plus I would never try to “sell” my services. I have talked to a couple friends about it and offered to loan it to them with the understanding that they need to do their own research on how to use it and whether it might be effective.

I did feel that there was some legitimacy to it at least on a human/small animal level since the NIH did actually publish a study on it, as well as some other university level studies, not just Jim Bob’s health store buying a container of them from China.

I spent about $600 on our machine early last fall - they can be found cheaper, but I didn’t want the cheapest one out there and the one I’ve got is battery powered, which was key for using it on the dog longer term.

That all being said - I don’t know how effect PEMF really is if the inflammation is deep in the anatomical structure - like a horse’s pelvis.

3 Likes

I see that now (it’s difficult for me to follow the OP’s writing style of not using paragraphs) and agree that the OP not present treatments to the vet before the horse is diagnosed.

OP, just because you’ve had a bad experience with a trainer doesn’t mean you should assume that all professionals are incompetent or dishonest. You need to have a good relationship with your vet. Let them diagnose before you begin suggesting treatments.

Good luck. I hope whatever issue your horse is having is easily corrected.

2 Likes

I use PEMF as a regular treatment for my horse to keep him feeling good.

When I bought him, he was just turning 4 and off the track for about 5 months with pretty much no let down. During his PPE, my vet only found he was just a little sore in his SI are which she felt was just due to his racing career. She recommended chiro and stretching along with down time. Then we slowly brought him along on the ground to build up strength and a top line. He also was out 24/7 for the first 6 months I had him. The only reason that stopped was because my barn was sold and I had to find a new place to board. He does get a lot of turnout, just not the 24/7. He definitely needs a lot walking to warm up.

I started the PEMF after a couple of chiro adjustments. He wasn’t too sure about it at first but after 10 minutes fell asleep. After that first treatment I felt such a difference in him. Now every time he has a session, he will move to where he wants the tubing to be placed. He also loves standing on the plate my person uses.

It is rare he ever shows any soreness now at almost 7 and doing third level dressage work and occasionally jumping (we do it for fun).

My small animal vet (who is also rides) is now a bemer distributor. She said it’s not as intense as the PEMF but for quick pre & post ride treatment, she finds it to be a good tool. We are going to try it for my boy once the weather warms up and I’m riding.

2 Likes

You don’t have a diagnosis yet. Take one step at a time. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It seems like you care a great deal about your horse, perhaps enough to have a vet look at him? You’ve mentioned a lot of issues that could be diagnosed and treated by a vet, but he hasn’t seen one. It sounds like you’re throwing money at him based on the opinions of people who are just guessing, but you haven’t taken the time to spend that money on a vet?

4 Likes

There is research on PEMF in humans and small animals that would make sense for it being helpful in horses. I use it for certain things with my horses. But my Chiro vet says the Bemer equipment has less power than a TV remote and she thinks they are waaay overpriced for what they are. Conversely, you can really overdo it with some other equipment, as others have already mentioned. Having had horses with SI issues, I would in your case 100% just start with a good vet before spending money on anything else.

5 Likes

Very true, that is my first step. My new barn has a general practice vet that does usual stuff but the other vet comes out for special diagnostic stuff like my issue. I just like to go prepared with questions and bring stuff to the table, even if we don’t use then at least I can learn something!

1 Like

Really appreciate this reply! My old barn didn’t turn out much. By ignoring them and leaving him locked up for basically 20 hours a day the issues being ridden got worse and worse. Having left that situation I and he are in a much better spot.

1 Like

The first step is the work up that you have planned. Go in with an open mind and listen to what the vet has to say. I’m a big fan of PEMF - but not as a primary treatment modality. I think it does wonders for general muscle soreness that is created when horses compensate for something that hurts. I wouldn’t use it alone to treat an issue.

See what diagnosis you get and go from there. I would much rather inject (a biologic (ProStride/PRP/IRAP) or HA/steroid) than play around with less direct treatments and risk the horse causing other issues while trying to compensate for the pain. And I’d much rather inject than give systemic drugs like Equioxx or bute long term given their potential GI side effects.

That said, if the issue is arthritis in the SI, shockwave is great, and worth a shot if you don’t want to inject straight away.

1 Like

I checked a year or two ago. If I’m not mistaken, they’re around $5k or more for the blanket I think? I think the boots are a bit more.

1 Like

I get it could be hocks or stifle too. He will be totally checked out back and SI included. We had saddle fitting issues which I sorted out. I just like bringing ideas just see their opinion and if it may work, I like to learn like that.

I tried PEMF last year on my horse, I personally didn’t notice a difference & my horse didn’t act any different. However, that’s just anecdotal so take with a grain of salt.

1 Like

I’ll try to organize it better so it is easier to understand. I get that not all professionals are incompetent. I am happy to say that my new trainer and I already have a far better relationship as well as with the barn’s general vet. I never suggest anything until we have some idea of what we are working with and at that point its really more for educational reasons and see what they say about X. Thanks for your insight!!

I’m so glad you and your horse are in a better situation now. Good luck, and I hope your horse will have a good prognosis from the vet. :+1:

3 Likes

I do have vet scheduled. He is a sport horse vet and specializes with lameness. I started this because I came across PEMF when looking at things for muscle inflammation and loosening tight and sore muscles. I am not buying anything until the vet looks at him and we have a diagnosis (hopefully) and can sort out a plan of action. I wanted to see if people have had good experiences with PEMF to see if it was worth bringing to the table. I would want to know my vets opinion on it anyway and if there is any other possible stuff that comes up that other people have tried I could ask about.I want to make sure I can give my horse the best options possible!

1 Like

Thank you so much for this reply, really good!! Shockwave is something that I have seen come up, I have heard it is more painful and quite loud, have you used it before and for what reason. I have seen it used on leg tendons but never on the main body. Do you have experience with SI injections or injections in general? I definitely agree, I want to fix the problem and don’t want to try all the “essential oil” versions and end up causing more damage. My horse has muscles soreness all along his spine and on either side of his “hunters bump area” so that may be a good reason for PEMF but I will see what the vet says. I am gun-shy with injections so I will need good reason before going down that route.

That seems quite expensive but I guess if it works…maybe its worth it. Definitely not a primary solution though.

Got my fingers crossed, thanks so much!