Unlimited access >

PEMF: Is it just snake oil? Yes or No: Back Pain Stories and Solutions--EPM, Neuro, Bone Chips in necks and more

That’s easy. Watch the steps and count 1-2-1-2. Watch what the foot does.

You should be able to see what happens. If not, send me a PM I am more than happy to go over it.

Em

Sometimes it doesn’t take them being in heavy work/real career to get compensatory problems. Everyday they walk around for almost 24 hours, so that gives them 24 hours a day to adapt their gaits to the discomfort. That in turn leads to 24 hours a day developing incorrect muscling and carriage, which in turn compounds the problem as they go on. So the downside of this is everything inexorably marches toward the same conclusion, just not nearly as quickly as when they are in hard work!

I know this thread went way into other things, but responding to the original part re PEMF, here is my tiny random sample of 1 experience.

My horse tore her hamstring and has been rehabbing. We started with daily laser treatment and accupuncture. Once we had to give the laser back to the vet (its cord broke), he suggested PEMF. he had an older one we could rent by the week and he suggested we do her back, stifle, and hamstring before riding her daily (she sometimes gets a sore back and had a bone chip removed from under her kneecap in June),

The machine looks like its from the dark ages, a big O that you hold up and wand around your horse. Of course I had to experiment on myself and my husband before I tried it on my horse. It was really wierd. Over areas of my (and his) back that weren’t sore you couldn’t feel much, but over sore areas it really could make your muscle contract. It never hurt but if you got too close over a sore spot (even when I put it right on his butt cheek – over his shorts mind you) spasmed so much it was uncomfortable and just creepy feeling.

So i did it on my horse. At the right distance she is very happy and chews and relaxes; you can see mild or no muscle spasm. When I get too close you can see the bigger spasm and she moves away from it. It’s pretty quick to realize the latter and I’ve gotten better over time; plus I am never putting it on her like I did to my husband…

Anyhow, I think it’s helped her. It promotes circulation and oxygenation. Is it a panacea to serious injuries? No. Can it help with muscle soreness and bruising, I definitely think so.

A lady in our barn has the Bemer, which is just a lower level of the PEMF machine the vet has. Again, I think it probably feels good and is akin to a light massage/stretching before and after rides, which can only be good. I plan to have my horse Bemed a few times a week before rides once I give the big PEMF back at the beginning of next week.

ETA: both my husband and I felt like our backs felt noticeably better after the PEMF the next day. He keeps wanting me to bring it back home but it’s case weighs about 60lbs…

4 Likes

I’ve seen a horse with substantial neck arthritis found on a PPE, that we passed on, even though he was lovely at the time, and that horse’s career with the person who did buy him was vastly shortened by the neck arthritis.

There was also a horse in our barn who got a neck injury in the pasture that turned into arthritis due to the injury that was never able to be ridden again.

With the new neck diagnosis it makes sense that you are sometimes seeing neuro issues. There may be some treatments to help slow the progression, but arthritis is what it is - just ask any human who has it. You can help slow it, you can make yourself more comfortable, but it is not “curable”.

OP - were I you - the neck is where I would focus my attention right now. I don’t have a specific vet suggestion, but see if you can find one via google or word of mouth who is working on neck issues. You may be able to get a virtual consult if you find someone not local to you. So much can be affected from a neck injury or condition that it may be the root of many of your issues.

2 Likes

I will definitely be looking into the neck more, it seems to be a very influential site as far as the function of the entire body goes and I am curious as I had two very different diagnosis of it and I want to get a concrete answer. Thanks for your insight!!

I’m happy to answer questions, pm or otherwise. Based on your other thread, your vet used pathogens for testing. How reliable they are is debated.

Once you get to a referral hospital they may want to retest for epm.

1 Like