Unlimited access >

People Attempting to Undermine Safe Sport

Interesting - You made the Eventing and USPC connection too :slight_smile: I think it’s wise that USPC start following SS. I’m surprised they haven’t already implemented something like it.

8 Likes

Unfortunately USPC has done a half-assed attempt at it. They require adult members and officers to do it, but not trainers, parents, or coaches which who are the group that spend the most amount of time with children. Children as most likely to be assaulted by someone they know not a stranger, so they’ve kind of missed the point here. I’m the DC of an all adult USPC club and all my members have to do SS/BC but USPC doesn’t require the adults that are volunteering and in the barns, staying over night at rallies, traveling etc. to do them unless they are a DC or other officer. Statistics would suggest those are the more likely predators than my club members who have no interaction with children.

At least USEF is requiring all adult participating members to do SS. I’m not convinced SS is deterring the behavior but at least its bringing the predators public.

11 Likes

That IS disappointing. All adults involved with the volunteering and chaperone duties should complete training. That’s common sense. If nothing else, it will promote more awareness of grooming behaviors, and by having more people aware, hopefully predators are more readily identified.

5 Likes

Just doing a very surface-level survey of relative numbers, but there are more <18yo members of USHJA than there are all members of pony club (comparing 2019 numbers: 33% of the 40k total members for USHJA is ~13k for the under 18 segment vs ~11k total members of USPC). I used the advertising facts & figures for each association’s magazine as my source here.

For the opposite extreme, USDF advertises that 75% of their members have a college degree-- implying at a minimum 75% of the total membership is over the age of 21 - 22. Not a whole lot of surprises there that the population of kids and teens is proportionally lower in dressage vs. HJ.

Not arguing that there isn’t a systematic culture issue in HJ, but that the exposure is higher vs other equestrian sports.

9 Likes

There are a number of suspended individuals in other USEF areas, too. I suspect there are violators in the breed world, too. The power differential between client and trainer is there, and so are kids (AQHA/Paint/Arab world has lots of youth participants). I’m sure there’s abuse.

I’m beginning to see false or improper allegations being made in the H/J world… retaliatory rather than real. That makes me sad and angry. Absolutely call out the real abusers, but ugh. Stop with the fake stuff.

6 Likes

Many of the stock horse breeds (AQHA, APHA, ApHC etc) do not fall under the USEF umbrella. So they can be reported to SS, but not kicked out of USEF. I have no idea if those registries have adopted SS training or not, I haven’t been following.

2 Likes

The whole Barisone - Kanarek situation has unfortunately highlighted how SS can be used in a toxic situation involving a degrading trainer-client relationship. It’s incredibly unfortunate that some people can’t distinguish the difference between bad interpersonal dynamics, which mean it’s time to move on to a different trainer… and actual abuse and exploitation of minor athletes.

SafeSport isn’t going to be something that can solve all challenges in sport. It’s creation… and primary purpose… has revolved around the difficult and prevalent issues related to the sexual abuse of minor athletes who participate in sport related to the Olympic movement. I really hope that addressing that key concern can remain the central focus and priority.

16 Likes

Honestly? I believe we have more abusers in the H/J discipline than in others. In part it’s because the H/J world seems to attract them more. In part it’s because they can get away with it more than in other disciplines. In part it’s the sheer number of juniors involved. Lots of different factors. But we really have some folks in our ranks that are rotten to the core. We truly do. Certainly other disciplines have their problems as well but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a larger percentage of SS violations originate from the H/J ranks than other affiliates.

19 Likes

I think the existence of a few VERY high profile, legendary trainers in the HJ community… who also happened to be serial abusers… well, that set a certain tone. Open secrets like that, which were tolerated within the sport community, led to a sub-culture of turning a blind eye to signs of abuse. Overtime… more predators were drawn to the sport.

Similar issues have be played out in gymnastics, swimming and figure skating. Very high profile coaches who are serial abusers… and it’s an open secret… seem to lead to a subculture of abusive coaches within the sport.

It’s really sad.

8 Likes

I think its like anything else, there is always going to be a flaw in the system. But I can say out of the 3 local people I know that are on the list, only one sort of surprises me (but not really if that makes sense). And the trainer I rode with in college who is also on the list? The only surprising thing to me is how long he stayed married. His thing with minor girls was pretty damn publicly known and while it cost him his job at one point, it didn’t affect his career in anyway until SS

There is far more victim blaming and denial of inappropriate behavior than false allegations done in spite.

24 Likes

I think H/J like gymnastics and skating attracts a lot of younger competitors as opposed to dressage. My guess is that’s why there are more instances of abuse there. Of course dressage has its ickies but not in the same numbers.

8 Likes

Oh, I agree that there are real accusations, but as time has passed, I am seeing petty accusations being flung that are not actual Safesport violations. I am hearing folks saying “oh, so and so had/has a SS report on them!” when none has been made. Reputations are being besmirched unfairly. I believe in SS and its mission. However, I do think there needs to be some caution and analytical thinking by us in our industry when the rumor mill cranks up.

3 Likes

I mean gossip is a core part of the HJ culture, I’m not sure I’d believe every rumor without verification. It takes a lot more than someone making an accusation to get on that list… im not sure why people believe otherwise. If it was, USEF/SS would be setting themselves up for being sued.

My comments regarding the ones I know are because they are actually on the list, and watching their behavior they absolutely deserve to be.

6 Likes

It’s nothing new that people make false reports to authorities and start rumors. If not SS to CPS or a governing body or a school board or whatever.

3 Likes

International show-jumper Zoubair Bennani has been temporarily suspended by Safesport. No further information at this time. He had a long-standing training business in Louisiana, North Carolina, and Florida and was recently partnered with Lisa Apted, whom he is now in a contentious legal battle against.

3 Likes

I also think the H/J show set up of staying for weeks and showing that long is a breeding ground for relationships/grooming to happen and form. Eventers are usually a one or two day affair at most, and most are shipping themselves, not tied to their trainer.

20 Likes

It is shocking that it has taken this long for an allegation to emerge about Brian Gruber. There’s a very long history there and the thought of him continuing to coach children is horrifying.

Blake Gardiner, of Sandhaven Farm and Rockridge Equine Rest & Retirement, in California, has been sanctioned for allegations of misconduct, with no contact restrictions and a temporary suspension. No further information at this time.

2 Likes

Oooof. I know him. That’s a total bummer.

Anyone know the status of the Rich Fellers trial? Supposed to begin this month I thought?

1 Like