People Attempting to Undermine Safe Sport

USEF can be slow to update the list of sanctions and it just happened the other day. It can take a bit of time, as the notification has to go through the organizational layers, before the website editor puts it up. It should be updated within several days to about a week or so.

Whooo wheee that’s quite the story! Where’s the outrage over this one? Oh right, not a man so no one out there to defend her. Not that I’m complaining about that part.

2 Likes

So the Pierson case is actually unrelated to anything “horse” (and not a reflection on Kathy Kerron) but instead based on the minor/adult teacher relationship case outside of horses?

Yes, the incident has no relation to the horse industry and apparently took place long before Kathy Kerron was in business with her and her husband in the past few years, but the sanctioned woman has a daughter who rides at the business that her family owns and operates with Kathy Kerron, which is why she has a non-competitor USEF membership and can be sanctioned, as she could be a potential danger to children/others at the stable and at shows. As to whether or not Kathy knows anything about it or not, it may be that she has no direct dealings with the mother and only the father, whose name is on the facility business records. Occasionally, Safesport sanctions are handed out due to external matters that are unrelated to any sport, specifically, criminal charges and convictions. In this particular instance, her charges have apparently been expunged from public record, but the made-public facts from the news and recorded government documents put online are still available. Safesport will look at what’s what and confer with the jurisdiction in which she was charged to determine the seriousness of the matter and whether or not they should/can do anything further.

The only public records associated with the charges are for the divorce that Janelle requested, at the height of her illicit relationship with the student, several months before she was caught by his family and reported to the school and local authorities. Nobody would know their significance unless you put them into context with the stuff put in the news, which you can dig up easily. It was all swept under the rug and lost in the river of passing time, until her husband got named in a multi-national online gaming gambling scandal, which he ultimately got no punishment for and after that, it all disappeared again, until today.

1 Like

Michael Traurig arrested https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/michael-traurig-arrested-for-alleged-sexual-abuse-of-13-year-old

4 Likes

WOWOWOW

" Traurig, who is the son of former U.S. Equestrian Team rider and EquestrianCoach.com founder Bernie Traurig, spent 20 years as a steeplechase jockey before returning to the hunter/jumper world."

This explains sooooooooooo much. Bernie was huge on social media when GM was first accused and was defending him and the other sickos non stop. Makes you wonder what he knew about his son.

26 Likes

I was never really a fan of BT before the GM suspension and his actions following the GM investigation cemented those feelings.

8 Likes

Since Bernie Traurig quit his USEF membership when George Morris was banned, if he is in any way involved with his son’s alleged crimes (abetting, failure to report etc…) it won’t make much difference to his career.

I’m so glad that Safe Sport exists, and so sad that so many people prey upon kids, and that many others think it’s no big deal.

21 Likes

I wonder if any of the incidents happened while Bernie was still a member and he was found to be complicit (aiding/abetting, failure to report, etc) if he could still be banned to prevent him from ever joining a sports organization in the future? That would impact his current business since he could no longer give clinics to USEF members.

Note: I have no evidence he was aware of or involved in his son’s alleged crimes. But he made a poor impression in the wake of GM.

7 Likes

I don’t know enough about how Safe Sport operates to know how/if an hypothetical situation of that sort would be dealt with.
Aren’t most of Bernie’s lessons and clinics done on an online format?

The article says that Michael Traurig’s bond is one million dollars. I wonder if he’ll be bonded out.

he quit eh…how convenient. At least his name is getting out there.

1 Like

I seem to recollect that Bernie was a good friend of Rob Gage. I seem to recollect his decision to resign his membership was a result of RG’s death, and the GM ban happening soon afterwards. It was a time period in which many pros took to social media and made impassioned statements about SafeSport.

I’m not so sure it had much to do with his son’s behavior.

7 Likes

Quotes from a 2019 article about George Morris’s ban, by Nancy Jaffer: (Bolding mine)

“There is an enormous outcry for reform of this seriously flawed system as can be viewed minute by minute on social networks. Perhaps if we all get behind George both morally and financially, we together with George can make a change in this system,” said Bernie Traurig, who competed in the jumper, dressage and eventing ranks during a long and successful career.

While noting, “I applaud the efforts of all to protect our children from sexual abuse as well as any other abuse associated with imbalances of power,” he announced on Facebook that he is relinquishing his memberships in the U.S. Equestrian Federation, U.S. Hunter Jumper Association and California Professional Horseman’s Association, all of which are under the SafeSport umbrella.

He noted that he is a member in good standing of the organizations, emphasizing, “I have committed no offenses of any kind, neither current or past, that would fall under the jurisdiction of Safe Sport.”

Bernie, who runs equestriancoach.com, continued, “Having said that, the issue is, and this goes for all members, anyone can make a false accusation and I/we are not protected to defend ourselves by due process. Currently, our federation cannot protect us from false accusations. If an accusation is believed by SafeSport, we go on that list immediately. As you know, there is a tremendous outcry to reform SafeSport from many, many people and other organizations. I believe and hope that one day it will be reformed and can gain the support from all for the great cause it represents.”

3 Likes

^^^ This.

Or the defense uttered by so many that makes me outraged: “Well, he never tried to get any nookie off of me. He was always so professional, and he treated me like family.” :face_vomiting:

As for the other “men” in the horse world who are fearing that their proverbial chickens will come home to roost, thanks to Safe Sport… I have absolutely no pity for you. You made your choices. Now suffer the consequences. Horsewomen are sick of this sh*t and we’re going to do what we can to protect the younger and more vulnerable ones among us.

30 Likes

Before the GM suspension, Rob Gage was banned and committed suicide. I thought Traurig canceled his USEF membership in protest of the Rob Gage ban.
Did Traurig really defend GM? I don’t remember. At the time of the Rob Gage ban, I think some people genuinely thought RG was innocent, but that’s hard to imagine with GM.

4 Likes

I have posted and reposted Bernie traurig’s ridiculous resignation letter, multiple times on the boards. I am happy to do so again, because he deserves everyone’s scorn.

19 Likes

Bernie Traurig

August 7, 2019

I have recently joined the group, I stand with George and want to share my thoughts with you. I had just left the memorial for my good friend, Rob Gage, who hung himself over Safe Sport allegations from 38 years ago, when I heard the news about another good friend, George Morris being put on the permanently banned list for, according to George, unsubstantiated allegations of misconduct 50 years ago.
There is an enormous outcry for reform of this seriously flawed system as can be viewed minute by minute on social networks. Perhaps if we all get behind George both morally and financially, we together with George can make a change in this system.
In the meantime, I have relinquished my memberships to USEF, USHJA, and CPHA. My reasons are reflected below in the letter I sent them.

July 11, 2019

To the United State Equestrian Federation & the United States Hunter/Jumper Association,

I have been a member in good standing with USEF and USHJA for a long, long time. I understand fully the position of both organizations under the umbrella of the Center for Safe Sport. I applaud the efforts of all to protect our children from sexual abuse as well as any other abuse associated with imbalances of power (as outlined in all the information in the mandatory Safe Sport video provided by our Federation).

I want the Center for Safe Sport to protect individuals from any manner of abuse. This is, of course, a necessity and a unifying concern of every sport. But in the rush to find a remedy, Congress enacted a seriously flawed statute and produced a seriously flawed system. Guilty until proven innocent!

The fact that any person can make an accusation upon someone and, if believed credible by Safe Sport, have their name immediately put on a temporary banned list by the Federation is life altering. This opens the door for anyone who may have a grudge for any reason, decades old or current, to seek their revenge. It can be a completely made up accusation and, if believed by Safe Sport, that person, without any defense, is ruined for life. That is so wrong! Who wants to be in that position? Unfortunately, most members have to maintain that vulnerable stance as they make their living at horse shows where membership is compulsory.

I personally do not operate a training stable, show or have clients that show. I do however make my living doing clinics and providing education via my EquestrianCoach.com training website.

Recently, in the wake of this politically charged atmosphere, I have pondered the decision whether to relinquish my memberships to USEF and USHJA as their affiliate. Being a member of our NGB and apparently USHJA, as per their most recent letter to members, puts me under the jurisdiction of Safe Sport. Let me be perfectly clear, I have committed no offenses of any kind, neither current or past, that would fall under the jurisdiction of Safe Sport. Having said that, the issue is, and this goes for all members, anyone can make a false accusation and I/we are not protected to defend ourselves by due process. Currently, our federation cannot protect us from false accusations. If an accusation is believed by Safe Sport, we go on that list immediately. As you know, there is a tremendous outcry to reform Safe Sport from many, many people and other organizations. I believe and hope that one day it will be reformed and can gain the support from all for the great cause it represents.

As I am in somewhat of a unique position because I do not show, I feel the best move I can make to protect myself and my family from this flawed system and any potential false accusations that could ruin me financially, is to relinquish my memberships immediately. Once, and if, Safe Sport is reformed to align with current Constitutional Law, I will promptly rejoin both organizations again. This is a very difficult personal decision for me to make and I understand the position that USEF and USHJA have to take on it, but I have to take steps to protect myself until there are changes and reform to the system that is in place.

EquestrianCoach.com will proudly continue to be an educational service provider to the USHJA and I will personally continue all efforts to enhance education for our sport together with both associations. Please let this email serve as my immediate resignation from memberships to the USEF and USHJA.

Please acknowledge receipt of this e-mail and confirm that both memberships are canceled forthwith.

Sincerely,

Bernie Traurig

8 Likes

Interesting. He says he would rejoin both organizations instantly if and when they add constitutional protections to the Safe Sport procedures. His son is criminally charged in this case, so his son does get all the standard constitutional protections.

14 Likes