Unlimited access >

Percheron/thoroughbred.

I had one I hunted, but he went the way of many of those types. He suffered with bone spavin and retired to be somebody’s mower.

We have two, a mare and a gelding.

Both can be athletic when fit, and they are not particularly hard to get into shape, but if not consistently worked can get chunky quickly.

Neither is particularly spooky but my mare is much braver than my hubby’s gelding. Very versatile - dressage, jumping, trail riding - good all rounders. Very comfortable to ride but getting extension at the trot does not come easy to them.

Body build - here’s a link to the pair…hopefully it works. http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/Petrina16/library/TB%20Percheron%20Cross?sort=3&page=1

Both can be quite sensitive and would not do well with rough handling.

Neither have had health issues - both 10 years old.

I have two who are Saddlebred crossed on Percheron, full brothers and buckskin and whom I adore. I just took the oldest out at Novice for the first time at Poplar Place on June 7th and as they had just had the regional championships there the weekend before and had not changed the course, that’s what we ran and my guy aced it. He is such a blast and I wouldn’t take anything for him. I know I’m completely biased but he is just the coolest horse. Big, sweet, beautiful, smart, willing and not spooky. He is a lovely mover, but we do get smacked around in dressage as he does need to come over his back more. Dressage is both his and mine least favorite discipline. Despite that, he is a very nice mover and most of the dressage issue is my riding and lack of fondness for the discipline, and not his ability. He is a very good and careful jumper and honest as the day is long. While waiting to warm up for show jumping at the show, he almost licked to death this adorable little blonde girl helping out at the in-gate. It was very cute. People were snapping photos like crazy.

TB/Percheron crosses seem to be loved by foxhunters for their willingness, stamina and sturdy size. A lot of people call draft horses dull as in not that bright, but that is a misconception IMHO. They are smart, deep thinkers. Congrats on your new mare. I would take it slow an easy with her since she has been a pasture princess and may not be thrilled with now being expected to earn her keep. The crosses can be opinionated and may take some convincing that they really do need to do whatever is being asked, but always in a firm but fair way. My guys tend to shut down if there is a miscommunication and I’ve learned that it’s usually best not to try and push through that but to stop an come back to it another day. As Bruboy stated, mine would not tolerate rough handling.

I have three draft crosses; two half and halfs (ASB x Percheron) and one Heinz57 (ASB x Clyde/Hackney/TB), with the latter being just a tad hotter and leggier. All three are what I describe as Baroque looking with thicker, high set necks, but smooth bodied with good bone. All three require more effort to get them coming over their backs well which I will gladly put up with because of their sweet lovely temperaments. They are not deadheads but not hot either. I did own the full Percheron dam to the two buckskin boys for a while and she was rather on the senstive/reactive side, but I think that was more holes in her handling as a younger mare. I am 48 years old, employed full time, with a daughter, a husband, and lots of other crap, so riding is my therapy. I’ve owned lots of different breeds of horses over the years including several warmbloods and my draft crosses are my favorites. Good luck with your new mare.

I purchased one last Fall and never thought I’d find a second “heart horse” but here he is…His gaits are amazing, his temperament is bombproof but he’s cued in and on point when it’s time. He’s incredibly amazing and everyone who’s been around him agrees - barn full of kids = look but barely fazed, riding out somewhere new is the same. Asking him forward or collecting him in the ring both on the flat and US = same, same, same. He LOVES positive reinforcement through voice and pets. He follows me like “a dog” as a trainer friend recently noted. A few others have said “He LOVES you!” His only fault are his huge hooves; they forget where their feet are sometimes and can clip in but that’s a farrier fix and the owner being aware - he’s never stepped on mine or kicked a fence during his frollicks. He can be slightly lazy while schooling on the lounge but once he wakes up, it’s game on. If your heart says “this one,” then don’t hesitate. The “good ones” are hard to find!