Unlimited access >

Perimeter Fence Minimums

I would probably want something more substantial to keep trespassers or loose dogs out.

As for the horses 2 strands are fine, provided they know the fence is there. I would want to ride the fenceline so the horses know it’s there.

I forgot all about starting this thread a few years ago and about to pull the trigger on doing something. Did a search on perimeter fence and found this. Another example of the generosity of this board. Thank you so much and it always motivates me to answer in threads to also give.

Based on comments here I’ll do three strands just to be more secure.

2 Likes

Step in posts get brittle over time, and they bend easier than T posts. What about 2 strands of tape on T posts and if budget allows, cap the T posts and run thin white tape thru the cap insulator part? You can always wrap the thin white tape every few caps to help with tension! :slight_smile:

I think that would work for most but I’ve got a deadly road out front with semi’s every couple minutes.

The plan is 4.5" wide minimum wood posts every 15’ with brown coated wire. Three strands. I don’t plan to have horses on turnout in these areas, just a barrier when riding or handling outside the barn area.

1 Like

My horses thought non hot electric tape was just a suggestion of where they were supposed to be. I do use it to split a pasture but I ran an electric wire in front of it to keep the smart a$$es from crawling over, under or through the fence. And believe me they know when it is not hot. I got tired of putting it back up and replacing the broken connectors things so I keep the wire hot.

i am too paranoid about loose animals to use it for perimeter fencing. Some horses won’t challenge it but mine sure know when it isn’t hot and they take advantage of the situation.