Unlimited access >

Permanently Lame Horse WWYD

Denali6298 Yes it is unfortunately.

Lunabear - I’ve seen some of your threads and I’m so very sorry about your boy. The rehoming/ selling thing is something I feel pretty strongly on as well.

Thank you all for your kind words.

1 Like

Did you ever put shoes back on? Do a longer let down time?

I totally get not being able to dump tons of money into a horse. Honestly, this decision is so personal and not that my opinion matters but Euth is kinder to this particular horse as it would ensure that the horse doesn’t suffer something worse.

2 Likes

OP I want to link this for you because I think it would help you. their is no right or wrong answer just your answer. I am very sorry that you have to make a decision like this. I let mine go on a beautiful day full of carrots and oatmeal pies.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/discussion-forums/horse-care/10100504-questions-for-quality-of-life-appointment

Yes. He has been out of work essentially since purchase with a lunge or ride here or there (about once a month) to see where we were at. Shoes have been on for about 2 months. He is very lame some days and other days seems almost sound. Most days he is lame at the trot but sound enough at the walk. The swelling/ stocking up of the other legs worries me that there is more pain than he is letting on (from compensation) or that he is “equally lame” on the other legs making it look like they are “sound” when they aren’t. The chips/ arthritis seem to be progressing rather quickly IMO but I don’t have much “evidence” to point to other than a lame horse. I feel terribly for him, he is so very sweet and loves my other horse. But as someone said in another thread - there are so many sound horses out there needing homes and I can’t help them if I keep him. I don’t want to put off the inevitable and wait one day too long as he deserves to go peacefully and still having a good time, not wishing it would end.

2 Likes

Put him down. It is a humane and responsible decision, and quite honestly, financially smart. No way would I pay to board a permanently lame horse.

Your horse. Your choice.

The less you care what others think, the better off you’ll be (in life too).

3 Likes

@Fence.Hopper thank you. If my horse had chips in his knee like your poor boy, I think I would make the same decision too. Not that it is ever easy. It’s not fair that such sweet horses get dealt these cards. :frowning: But I find comfort in the fact that they “landed” (in my case bought …) In such caring and loving hands. There are many that would have buted them and tried to pass them on to an unknowing buyer. Or dropped then off at the auction house.

Sending you tons of peace and support from here. I know how you feel exactly but looking for the outside in, you are absolutely doing the right thing.

1 Like

I have the appointment made. No telling if I may reschedule - I may need more time. I am going to have to trailer him to a vet facility to have it done as I board and there is no way to bury him there. I am worried because he is SO bonded to my other horse and I don’t want his last moments being filled with worry about where his friend is.

2 Likes

Good luck, and hugs.

I made the decision to put down my 14-year-old permanently lame horse, who I owned since he was 6 months old. I didn’t make sense for me to board a horse I could not ride. I still miss him every single day (and this was over 6 years ago now) but I am at peace with my decision because it was the RIGHT decision. He is no longer suffering.

Accidental post, sorry!

I put down a freshly purchased 6yo a few years back due to Wobbler’s. He was lovely. He wasn’t visibly unsound except I could feel it under saddle and his neuro exams were abysmal. Went to the university hospital for full neuro work up. Looked at the neck rads. Cried. Put him down a few days later. Cried more. It was the kindest decision. Nobody could tell how long he’d go before he either got hurt or hurt someone. If there were some way to tell when the day BEFORE any of those things would happen, he would have lived a couple of months enjoying his first real spring on pasture since his ‘foalhood’.

There were a couple of people who wanted me to “give him more time” or “take my time” or what the heck ever. No. All his vets and my heart (although severely busted) were on the same page.

I have never regretted that decision. Not for one day. I spent zero days worrying about making the decision at the “right time” and (and this is not a negligible consideration for those that aren’t independently wealthy) allowed myself to move on to The Best Horse Ever very quickly, something I couldn’t have done if I waited around for my pasture pet to get bad enough to visibly need to be put down because I can’t afford 2 equines on the payroll.

Listen to your heart and to your vets. Make your decision and know that those who understand will grieve with you and those that don’t aren’t worth worrying about even though they will still get under your skin to some degree.

6 Likes

Do you have a local vet school? Would they be interested in this young horse? It sounds weird, but if you took him there to euthanize, he might be able to be used for teaching. Not sure about the research route. They would have to be looking for something very specific for him to qualify, but you could ask, if you’re comfortable with the idea.

THIS

3 Likes

So sorry for all who have gone through this. But if you are addressing the OP, that post was from 2018.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. This 2018 thread was accidentally posted to on Dec 2, 2021, which brought it back to the top again.