Unlimited access >

Pick which two Haas brushes I need

Here are the options. I really only want to order 2. I’m not a hobby groomer. LOL I just like to get it done quickly. I want…

1. a dense soft brush (but not too soft) for the body, legs, and face to use 90% of the days.
  2. a firmer brush for cooler weather when the horse gets some winter coat. We don’t get too much down here in the South though.

Options:
Cavaliere
Parcour
Schimmel
Diva

Only 2. I have a white horse and sandy soil here. Which 2?

I do not own any Haas brushes (yet) so I can not give you any personal experience, but this thread does contain quite a bit of discussion about the various brushes.

I saw that, thanks. Was just hoping for help to pick from these offerings.

The Schimmel is amazing. Even on shorter hair.

2 Likes

The Schimmel is amazing on my palomino. It is, however, a very coarse and stiff brush. I believe it is coconut fibers. Works great for mud and winter coats for a horse who is not sensitive, but I sure wouldn’t use it on my chestnut, for example. Parcour is a much softer and denser brush, closer to a finishing brush. Diva is a super soft lamb skin finishing brush.

1 Like

I am a hobby groomer! People joke with me all the time! But my horse is out 24/7 and likes to roll.

I don’t know any of those brushes. I really like a stiffer brush (not amazingly stiff) and a soft face brush (not amazingly soft, it has to wipe hairs off. Both are cheaper brushes. I got the stiff brush from Dover (the brush part isn’t all plastic, I think) but it is somewhat stiff). The soft brush is a super cheap plastic brush I inherited 20 years ago and the ends are so frayed that it is really soft yet retains its shape.

Besides those two brushes, I use these super cheap items:

Epona shed flower
https://www.doversaddlery.com/epona-shed-flower/p/X1-10517/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg1cs0bRaCsJL4UJ903VWDMJWWRJ9OHH5sZP8YRVWW-fmzv3zNsTCzhoClJ8QAvD_BwE

NOTHING strips of caked on mud as well as this. No brush works as well.

My friend gave me a plastic curry comb last year and NOTHING I’ve used helps shedding horses as much as this without damaging hair (well, yes a product does but is no longer available - it is my favorite dog rubber hand curry):
https://www.bigdweb.com/product/code/99-01.do?gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg-HrcNjbDdfN9ud5Bsxm91-s8kNSapxK1tA08bOpNptU4W1M5oMyBxoCr6oQAvD_BwE

I use something like this to get the hairs off the face before the soft brush:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/soft-rubber-face-curry-751?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=NB_Shopping_Catch_All&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Catch-All&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jgzca8tukJV0DS_ZlR2i4gdgpO0TqYziYh1ObIzsud4OClWphQywu6BoCnhYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

While this seems like a lot of items to use, the epona curry hands down is the best way to remove caked mud rather than a brush. I regularly wear the teeth off of them. The $2 plastic curry removes hair and mud from the legs better than any brush. These two items cost together under $10 and saves me SOOOOO much time. The plastic curry (third link) also saves me time because my horse loves to roll and this gets caked mud off of his face quicker than any softer brush I’d use on his face.

If I had to (and I have), I can quickly clean the areas where the tack go with the above items and brushes and tack up in a hurry without my horse getting uncomfortable. You can apply as much elbow grease as required for winter or summer coats.

I’m sorry that I can’t add much to your original post, but I wanted to add some stuff that might save you time when grooming your horse.

Hobby groomer,
J.

Oh wow! I LOVE the Haas brushes. So I bought mine based on horse color because at the time, that’s how they presented their offering. And they told you the sequence to use them,
Of course, since I had a gray, chestnut and bay—I bought most of them!!! And ILOVE them. I can literally take a horse from rolled-in-the-mud to presentable with the set.

If you have sandy soil and not mud, then the Schimmel might be a bit much, depending on your horse’s sensitivity. Haas sent me a plastic currycomb, which is great for mud and all my horses have been OK with it if I don’t get too animated! The brush that seems to be the next one down for me is the Military. Then for bays, they suggested the Parcours. And it’s a bit softer and my current guy likes it. The Cavaliere I used on my chestnut horse and it did well for him. I have the Diva but hardly ever use it—it’s good for the face and maybe a last, go-over brush. The “magic” brush is the Coat Gloss one. It’s a bit stiffer and I have to be careful with my OTTBS, but it will bring out the shine after the curry, Military and Parcours/Cavaliere. Just FYI, I also wash them with horse shampoo every couple weeks. Not sure what the science is behind it all, but wow–they work and I would TOTALLY recommend them.

1 Like

Thank you! This is really helpful!

Personally I use my Senior, all the time. On my OTTB. It’s the right amount of stiffness/softness, gets the scurf and dust out and isn’t so stiff she objects to it.

1 Like

I use the military and the diamond gloss as my everyday brushes on my dark bay. They work great. I have the cavaliere too but wasn’t using it so it’s in my show groom box along with a diamond gloss brush. I use the epona shed flower and curry. I also love the epona tiger tongue sponge for a quick groom.

I’ve had some very sensitive horses and they love the Schimmel. Redhead included. The other one was incredibly sensitive to static.

Parcour and the Grundy

Which Haas brushes are not made using ‘ethically sourced horse hair’?

Any besides the ‘Madoc’ and ‘Mustang’?

Thanks.

Add this--------Fellglanzburste. hands down my chestnut TB’s fav brush he has no interest in another brush in his face but will stay for days with this one! Buy it!!! I use it every day-- your 90% brush!

Military for your second… but hard choice between that and Parcour. I use Military more in the winter where he is not clipped (legs) and my black-bay warmblood gets this brush more often too. really does get that dirt to the surface…

Diva is in my horse show pack- not sure if you need that for everyday gloss.

they have the best brushes! I clean mine every few days and my horses always shine.

I have the Parcour and Fellglanzburste for my bay mare. They are super effective but I have to stop using them when she sheds her winter coat. The brushes become clogged with hair from just grooming one side of my horse. Plus the really short, dense bristles make it difficult to really clean the hair out of them.

Loose hair sticks to them like a magnet. It’s great when they’re slicked out for summer or in the middle of winter. They pull up dust and stray hairs like nothing I’ve ever seen.

I switch to my cheaper, longer bristled brushes during Spring shedding season.

I have a few Haas brushes, and use the Mustang on my thicker-skinned WB all the time. However, I really like the Sound Equine EasyClean brush, which is medium bristles on one half, and soft longer bristles on the other half. I have the Haas Amazone for my thinner skinned chestnut appendix mare, but usually end up reaching for the EasyClean for everyday grooming.

I like the Diva, but it’s not what you’re looking for. It’s very, very soft. I would go for Grundy’s Finest instead for an everyday soft brush.

1 Like