I am now in a place in my life where I can consider getting into riding on a more serious basis. I’m certain I want to get into an English discipline, but I’m not sure how to pick one that would be the best for me. Any help I can get would be appreciated.
- I grew up in a farming town, I’m comfortable being around all kinds of animals and the gross things that sometimes come with that.
- I had a friend in middle school with horses, and sometimes we would ride. (trails, mostly). I can lunge/ tack up/basics no problem.
- I took general lessons for about 4 mo before I left for college.
- I made it onto the reserve dressage team my freshman year of college. (Hardly got any ride time and not a friendly environment for someone who couldn’t afford to lease)
- I’ve gone on trail rides (as often as budget allows) since I was 10 and generally go on intermediate trails.
I’m interested in cross-country, hunter-jumper (though I don’t know much about it), and I’ve done a bit of dressage, but I’m not sure how to figure out what I should pursue. I love working with horses and the hard work riding takes is no problem for me.
How did you find the right one?